Show off your watch

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Darkbulb, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have a Seiko Kinetic, that I've worn daily for quite a few years now. The watch preforms flawlessly, however I did have to have all the pins in the band replaced and the latch replaced. I don't mess with the date, cuz I'm lazy:)
    WP_20160215_001.jpg WP_20160215_002.jpg

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For a metal band, that looks comfortable (I'm really picky about metal and can't wear most of them).

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

All-in-all a great watch. I agree,it's comfortable otherwise I wouldn't be wearing it:)

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Grew up wearing a watch. I still feel naked if I somehow get out of the house and forget to put on the watch. Doesn't happen often.

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

This is my 1961 (birth year) Bulova "His Excellency." It belonged to my wife's uncle. It's on a new Gator strap with a vintage Bulova buckle.

Bulova.jpg

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

My new SlowWatch is not just my Watch-of-the-Day but most likely my watch of the year.
    Got it today and love everything about it.

[​IMG]

The leather strap here is the 'roughest' and thickest that they have. The other leather ones are rather thin and buttery soft but I wanted something a bit more 'raw' to go with the stainless steel.​
    (The 'writing' on the back is from an un-peeled plastic sticker) :)

[​IMG]
    So in the span of two weeks I've bought both a wallet and a watch - and the last time I bought either of those were 10+ years ago.
    I think I'm all leathered-up for spring and summer to arrive. Really happy with both purchases.

Slow Jo 17 watch and Popov wallet.
    May it be at least another ten years before I need to replace either of them.​
    [​IMG]

7. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I really like that Slow watch. I like the one hand concept. The band looks substantial too. image.jpeg

As for my watch, I have a Movado Sportivo. I took the photo for this thread a few days ago but am just getting around to posting.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great watch brand - the first one to ever be on permanent display in MOMA if I recall correctly

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Beautiful. I found a very similar (not nearly as nice) Caravelle (made by/for Bulova) wind-up that finally gave out on me a few years back. Same numerals, hands and indicators as yours. I do miss it...a black faced watch is always a favorite of mine.

wristwatchb and Darkbulb like this.
  10. wristwatchb

Thank you! I would enjoy seeing photos of your Caravelle if you still have it. These old beauties need to be serviced by a watchmaker every few years. I'm sure yours could be brought back to life. Mine was in rough shape when I got it. If you want to see some other really neat looking old Bulova watches, check out www.mybulova.com . Thanks again.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Really liking it. Went to the website. Christmas is coming!
    Battery or manual wind?

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wish I could but I pitched it when one of the lugs broke off.

Picture this one with the hands and face layout from yours, and that's it. For a cheap watch, it ran long past it's shelf life.

[​IMG]

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah - Christmas is just a few months away I hear :D
    There's a full tech spec on this page if you scroll halfway down
    Short answer: Battery.

I got mine off Amazon w/ two day shipping.
    I've been 'practicing' telling the "exact" time from it today (even though that kinda goes against 'slow') and I am now w/in a 2-3 min accuracy every time. :)
    I still can't believe what a difference it does to your time perception to view a 24hour watch (on day per cycle).
    Love it and the band :)

wristwatchb and swarden43 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Great site, thank you -- I'm pretty sure I had a non-self-winding Caravelle version of the Clipper model. I always wished it was in nickel/silver tone rather than gold so to me, THIS is just about the perfect watch:

[​IMG]

http://www.mybulova.com/watches/1962-jet-clipper-c-2660

Wow. Simple but stunning. Same layout mine had, except with gold case and fittings.

I'd retire my Citizen and wear this thing each and every day and never grow tired of it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  15. wristwatchb

The wallet and the wristwatch are beauties. :happy088:

I hadn't heard of Popov wallets until recently. It just looks so nicely finished and well made. I'm sure it will only get better with time.

The thick leather strap and the simple, cream color watch face complement the case finish and design of the SlowWatch. I love the casual, yet very classy look of this timepiece.

I use Bick 4 Leather Conditioner on all my leather items. It absorbs quickly and does not appreciably darken the leather. It's even recommended for exotic leathers. You can check out the reviews on Amazon if you're interested.

GatorJoe and Darkbulb like this.
  16. wristwatchb

Wow! What a beauty! I'd love to run across one of these, either a manual-or self-wind, in an antique shop. My Bulova is a manual wind, and it has a super thin case. The rotor assemblies used in the self-winders usually require some additional case height.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I hate to say it but while they're all I wear now, the second-tick of a quartz is tolerable but annoying ever since I wore windups. Probably just me.

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Agree about that. I can't actually ever see myself ever getting a watch with a second-hand it just doesn't really have any value to me to know if that particular watch believes its 13 seconds until 4:31pm especially since most watches aren't anywhere near to being that precise. :)

I also don't use my wristwatch to time anything down to seconds.

wristwatchb likes this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I like left handed watches. My wife ordered this for me for Valentine's Day and it arrived today.
    [​IMG]

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Your wife has good taste. Well you know, in watches at least :D
    The black face looks really nice with that tan leather belt

wristwatchb likes this.