July 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Jun 30, 2020.

?

What are your shaves going to look like in July?

1. Nothing but the finest gear for my shaves.

32.1%
  2. Actually, I am a Barbarian, so I’ll shave with whatever I want!

71.4%
  3. Who was Julius Caesar, really?

17.9%
  4. Who made the salad?

17.9%
  5. I don’t answer polls, they’re all fixed.

10.7%
  6. I don’t recognize this thread, am I on the correct website?

10.7%
  7. We don’t need no stinking polls. (That’s for you, Paul)

17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Congratulations! You’ve landed on the most informative, interesting and fastest thread on TSD and every known forum in the western world. Contained within these hallowed posts, is found vast knowledge---spanning thousands of years of wet-shaving experience.

This is the thread, where new shavers meet experienced shavers and interchange ideas; ask shaving (and non-shaving) questions; gaze with awe at the sometimes elaborate and sometimes austere shave gear; gorgeous photography, (excluding a certain opera singer’s) and one-of-kind; never-seen-before vintage, antique or just-arrived from the manufacturer piece of shave gear.

For the uninitiated, the 30DC (as we like to call it) has really only one “official” purpose:

Help anyone and everyone have a more enjoyable shave.
    How does that work, you may be asking? This is how…

Take one brush, one soap, one razor, one brand of blades and
    use them daily for the entire month.

Is there a particular soap that you just can’t get to lather? Post a question.
    Is that new razor irritating your neck? Ask a fellow-shaver.
    What’s up with the stench emanating from that new boar brush? The answer is in this thread.
    You just can’t decide if that razor blade is really bad, or if your technique needs improvement?
    This is the place to sort that out.

Indeed, a great shave is more about a well-honed technique, than a well-honed razor.

Often-times, this thread has a monthly theme. I have been thinking about what July’s theme could be. July is named after the famous emperor Julius Caesar.
    iu.jpg

In ancient roman times, having a beard was considered…well barbaric. We dedicated wet-shavers are, of course, anything but barbaric; indeed we consider a daily shave to be a sign of refinement and cleanliness. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion, that this month, July 2020, shall be named…drumroll, please…

Shave like an Emperor month!

For the hard-core followers of the monthly theme, the (un)official rules are hereby declared:

Shave with your most noble gear!
    Smell like an Emperor or Empress.
    Post your shaves with authority!
    Let no random stubble escape!

Or…simply shave with whatever you want and just be part of our community. ;)

Some thread disclaimers:
    1) All are welcome, newbies and veterans
    2) Respect each other at all times
    3) Adhere to the rules of this forum
    Invite your friends to join us and let’s make July our biggest and best month ever.
    Now…go have a great shave! :shaver

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Awesome intro to the month, Joseph!
    I'm in for Shave Like an Emperor July but I kinda feel like that's my usual theme anyway.
    Let the fun begin!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

This month I’ll continue my straight razor adventures and look forward to the arrival of my new Tradere. I had considered cancelling this order, but decided against it! I look forward to another month of shaving adventure!

Bama Samurai, Trigger, Droo78 and 8 others like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I’ll be in as much as I can. Going to use Stirling Glacial Lemony Orange in attempts to finish it off.

5. brit

brit in a box

awesome Joseph,where's the monkeys..i love the monkeys..:D

6. brit

brit in a box

very cool,i am in for "Shave like an Emperor" .i will use as many roman soaps as i can and continue with my coolest shave gear..cheers..

7. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Awesome! Rex owners, you'll have to do at least one shave with the "King" of razors.

I'll be focusing on the nicest gear I currently have, with which coincidentally, I also need to hammer out a few details:
    • Razor--Aluminum "Linuxguile" Lupo. A surprise PIF from Andrew @Linuxguile. Great razor and smooth shaver, but I still need to dial in the pressure for this beautiful, but very light razor.
    • Brush--Omega 48 boar with resin handle "JOmegan" which was created (then generously given away) by the inimitable Jason @jtspartan. I love this brush, and "Julius" July will be an opportunity to break in the brand new boar, as well as dial in my technique for lathering a very large brush in a fairly small bowl. I might spend a week face lathering as well.
    • Blades--Polsilver Super Iridium blades are some of the best blades I've ever tried, but probably won't be a repurchase. I have four more left--gonna enjoy the heck out of them for this "Julius" July
    In addition, I will continue honing my edge forward shaves with my favorite shavette: the "Max Headroom" Focus R21. Light, quick, and functionally designed for beginner and pro alike, it will be nice to get back to using the Focus R21 again.

Can't wait to see some of the incredibly cool things you all bring out! :D

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Excellent intro, Joseph. Sounds like a very cool focus. I'm in.
    Shave like an Emperor? Like any good Caesar, I will shave with Italian shaving soaps all month. Come to think of it, Omegas and Zeniths are from Italy as well, so I will focus on those Italian boars this month too.
    Razors will be whatever moves me, but will definitely not be a continuation of the 'basics' focus from June.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

@Primotenore Great intro Joseph. I am in for July as well. I will try to Shave like and Emperor but I might be guilty of that already. I will also try to finish off a Mike's Lavender shave stick this month as well. I will start out using it every other day but that is subject to change.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

In for another month of fun and shaving education(they kinda blend well here). For me, more experimenting of my cold-weather shave choices to see if they can make it through the warm/hot months. Thus, you might see me do a "One-Trick Pony" often(one warm-weather shave at a time, then onto the next one, although some of these warm days cry out for Aqua Velva, Mennen, Stoylin Glacial Lime, Clubman Gent's Gin, and of course, Stoylin Frost Drops...ahh, you get the idea). If we have two or three straight days of low humidity, the "One Trick Pony" might well get another day at least. Here's to another month of fun, great shaves, and positive-minded banter!.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nice intro. Looking forward to a great month!

13. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I will pop in on occasion, but have become mostly a TSD voyeur since the pandemic started. Too many plates to keep spinning before they fall...
    [​IMG]

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I completely understand Randy. Drop in when you can.

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Randy...

Be well. Stay in touch.

16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Randy! I understand. I was a voyeur for several months and recently hopped back in. Stay safe and well!

17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent theme for the month of July. I have some emperorsish type razors and product to incorporate into the theme. That being said, I am going to continue to try to dwindle down the den of my soap supply. Therefore, I will incorporate a “Just One July Weekdays”. All components of the shave shall remain the same for the entire week. Now, what to start it off with for tomorrow? I have about 4 hours to figure it out. During the weekend, I will continue with my “Reduction Weekend” of the Stache Soapworks E Barber soap.

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Fabulous intro Joseph! clap.gif I'm in for July! I may be guilty of sometimes shaving like an emperor anyway. ;)

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am going to shave like an emperor this month. Great theme Joseph.

July 1st shave: I am still working through my focus of hot new items that came into vogue after my shaving adventure started. Today's new hot items are PAA CK-6 formula shave soap, Heritage 'gel' badger and Drew Dick 7/8 smiling straight. The shave was excellent today.

The PAA soaps have been around awhile and they have evolved with a couple of different bases and a wide variety of scents. I only joined the party this year after seeing many 30dc friends sign it's praises. The only people I trust to give honest feedback on products are on this thread, no fan-boys just honest opinions. I am very pleased with the performance of this soap and it will stay in the grade A rotation.

I was finally able to add a Heritage Collection gelled badger to the den. It is the current 'it' brush maker and so far I am pleased. The gelled badger feels very different from my other badgers, I like it, it is good to have variety. The handles do look cool and I love the throw back graphics.

Drew Dick's razors are gaining in popularity and rightly so, the steel is beautiful and so are the scales.

IMG_9138.jpeg

20. brit

brit in a box

awesome set up and pic Keith..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.