Ancient Roman Razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi guys, and gals, I think I finally scored (not in dating baseball!) . I have been looking forward to getting an old Roman Razor since my early days of collecting. Years ago I did a bit of research into the earliest known razors, and discovered the Roman era, bronze razors they used at that time. I never thought I would be able to latch on to one. Well I think I have finally scored one. And I discovered it completely by accident. Although, the seller is an avid razor aficionado, I did not realize who he was when I bought the item in question. This is a fantastic dream come true for me. I can hardly wait for its arrival. Here is a link to the item in question. It is in the upper right hand corner of the photo in the listing.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/202657614692
    Check it out folks, and tell me if you think I made the right ID. Thanks for your interest everyone.
    ☮️ Peace ☮️

DaltonGang, brit, Jorvaljr and 6 others like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Congrats!
    Can't wait to hear how it shaves, Alan!

brit, Hembree and Morman Bridge like this.
  4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy102:

brit and Morman Bridge like this.
  5. Hembree

Congratulation! Awesome find!

brit and Morman Bridge like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

congrats sir, now to find the right blade for it..;)

Hembree and Morman Bridge like this.
  7. Morman Bridge

Hello Joseph. Believe it or not, I have been considering trying to sharpen it, and doing just that. I will have to inspect it when it arrives.

LOL!

Primotenore, brit and Hembree like this.
  8. Morman Bridge

Dig It !!!!!

brit and Hembree like this.
  9. Morman Bridge

Hi everyone. Well, I was wrong about the “Roman Razor’. It’s definitely not a Roman Razor. I had seen a few different examples many years ago, and although this artifact looked very similar, it’s proportions were way off. It’s actually far too small to have been for a Razor. It also has two small nubs on the opposit side that was shown. It appears to be part of a lid for something. Perhaps some sort of stein cap. But not even of the Roman era. As I think about it, I should have realized how small it was, compared to the coins in the listing. So anyway, I apologize for wasting your time folks. I did not realize what it’s proportions were before it arrived. But the purchase was not a total loss. At least I did get what appears to be some authentic Roman coins. Thanks for your interest everybody. Sorry I got this one screwed up.
    ☮️ Peace ☮️

10. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

It happens Sir. Sorry you didn't find what you were lookin for.

brit likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Bummer.

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

This happens to all of us at one point or other. Now what you do is give it a story of being a brooch of a Roman centurion and put behind glass with official looking documentation. As they say "If you ca't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!T" :signs081:

:eatdrink013:

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You still got some nice artifacts.

brit likes this.
  14. Morman Bridge

Agreed miss Sara. Those coins are cool enough on their own. Have a great day Ma’am.
    Peace ☮️

brit and Sara-s like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :eatdrink013:

brit likes this.
  16. Hembree

Thanks for the update and sorry it was not what you thought it was.

brit likes this.
  17. Morman Bridge

brit and Enrico like this.
  18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Sorry it didn't pan out like you wanted.:( Something you said got me thinking. If you have some pics, how much would it cost to have someone make you a copy out of carbon or stainless steel? It wouldn't be genuine of course, but could give you a feel for how they shaved. Just a thought. If anyone runs across an ancient Greek or Roman D.E., preferably 3 piece with at least one blade, I'd like to know. :happy088:

brit and Hembree like this.