April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to Arko Adjustable April 2018!!! What began a couple years ago as just “Arko April” is now expanded to include the use of adjustable razors for those so inclined. So, if you want to play along with the theme you can use Arko, you can use an adjustable or two or three or – use both! Or use none of that and just shave your way! We’re so easy it’s ridiculous…..like our jokes.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, if you want to follow the theme in some way feel free. But if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Notice I stopped calling us “old”?
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Any criticism of Russian steel of any kind will be met with swift and ferocious retribution. Ok, so maybe not so swift. The guys have to sober up first. And ferocious? Well, at least slightly uncomfortable to listen to.

7. Any criticism of Feather blades is also subject to the same kind of almost uncomfortable retribution. The Yakuza has started mixing their sake with the vodka from the Cartel boys. Let’s just say it seems to have calmed them down.

Let's have some great shaves people! Arko Adjustable April!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Her you go!! April is officially ready to and we start with snow in St. Louis on Easter! How's that for April Fool's? The move is in the long and laborious unpacking mode but all systems are up and running here at Cartel HQ 2.0. The representative from the Yakuza faction sent some help and I have to say he proved why the Russian and Yakuza factions will be allies for years to come. Dinner tonight was thick rare steaks at a steakhouse after some fried pickles and a couple of drinks to start. A reward for a long but successful two days.

My shave tonight? You're kidding right? Nope, finishing March on a no-shave double play. I'll get back with it tomorrow to help kick of April!! Thanks for all the participation and fun in March. You guys ROCK!

Drygulch, sdguero, brit and 12 others like this.
  3. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Well, I am back to play this month, since you guys will let just anybody in!

Naturally, I am going to start totally off theme. For April, I intend to start by finishing off my sample run: another shave with the B+M Bay Rum, then a couple shaves worth of B&M Seville, then a shave with a chunk of B&M's new Reserve Cool sent me by Jason @jtspartan, followed by a shave with a chunk of First Canadian (also from Jason), and finally a couple samples of Soapy Bathman soaps (Desperado and Fall at the Cabin). That will take care of the first week. After that, I will cave to the enormous peer pressure here and probably use Arko for awhile.

I will use various adjustables throughout the month, both DEs and injectors -- my Rockwell 6s, my trio of Delta Echo refurbished Gillettes, and a Pal adjustable and a Supply Co. Single Edge v.2 adjustable injectors. I will probably give them each several days in rotation. However, again despite the theme, I am starting off with the non-adjustable plebeian Schick Krona. A couple guys used them last month and thoroughly enjoyed them so I was inspired to give mine another whirl.

Brushes will vary depending on whim. I do have a new brush in the mail from Jayaruh that should be here this next week probably. When I swapped him vintage razors for my 400-style birdseye maple boar brush, I sent along my Supply Co. SE v.1 for him to see what they were like. He liked it so much we ended up doing a deal for another brush, so I will soon have a pair of great boar brushes to complete my brush rotation.

One thing that will be on theme right from the start -- I intend every shave in April to be totally Awesome!

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

"Complete my brush rotation". Yeah, ummmmm, ok. We'll call it complete until the next time you need to complete it. It's ok...we totally understand. Love that optimism! Sounds like a great month and the fact you're starting totally off theme really makes me smile. It just proves how we operate around here. LOL Looking forward to seeing how things work for you again this month.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am going to try and keep up better. Between work and well more work it is not easy. I also have the joy of starting Insulin shots to throw in. I do like ARKO though....and I have a few adjustables around. 4 to be exact. A slim...a short handle SA..a schick M1..and a Merkur Progress. So maybe I can jump in with some of da funs!!

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You gotta stop al
    You need to stop all that work Fuzzy. It's taking up way too much time and it's only good for non-essentials like, you know, food, a roof, things like that. Good luck with the insulin. I've avoided that route so far. Now, let's go find "da funs"!

7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I don't have Arko or an adjustable but I'm in!
    Same as last month for me. One razor, one blade, one brand of soap and one brand of aftershave. I really enjoyed March and here we go April! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A month with Feathers. Gonna be great along with the rest of that gear. Three of my favorite Stirling soaps in that picture too!

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome back!

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

As soon as I figure out how to pay the bills without working I will be all over things here. Insulin should not be a big deal. A 10.4 A1c is a big deal!! Go Fuzzy ....blah.

12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Which three?
    I'm not sure which one to start with. I wonder what will go best with tending a smoker with a garlic and rosemary prime rib inside? :)

13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Bama, glad to be back!

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A good cigar is the best for that....just saying.

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great idea!

16. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I'm in. Not really sure how this one is going to pan out... My Ming Shi hasn't arrived yet, and I'll be acquiring a 1912. One thing is for certain though - I'll be using the same brush, soap and aftershave.

Razors: Merkur 34c/ Ming Shi 2000s/ Ever Ready 1912
    Blades: Astra SP/ GEM Personna/ PAL Blue Carbon
    Brush: Bluebeard Doubloon
    Soap: Proraso White

Not really much of a focus... More like finding out which kind of razor will be best for me; an aggressive DE or a vintage SE.

Looking forward to another month of great shaves with all you guys!

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am back and continuing my focus on thinning the heard of soaps. I am trying to finish off soaps/ creams that are near the end. On that list is Tabac, Aqua di Param, AoS tallow, AoS cream, Razorock P160 and my travel stick of Arko. This month I am determined to at minimum finish off this stubborn puck of Tabac.

Aril fools shave: I decided to go big, Kent BK12 aircraft carrier class in it's dock, a 8/8 M Martinez 3/4 hollow and the refusing to die Tabac. Hopeful the huge BK12 has brought this puck closer to the end, it did make some great lather, this is one special brush. The M. Martinez continue to keeps its excellent edge without visiting the stones. Everything was right in my world and I had an epic shave.

I hope everyone is enjoying Passover or Easter or at minimum April Fools Day.

Irritation A+ Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ +Sharpness A+

Razor: M. Martinez 8/8 Irish Grin
    Strop: Mastro Livi
    Brush: Kent BK12
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Tabac
    AS: Speick AS, Sterling ASB
    Scent: Tabac

ID - 1.jpg

oscar11, Drygulch, sdguero and 16 others like this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Mountain Man, Executive Man and Barbershop. Hmmm....Mountain Man for the win with the smoker.

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That's actually a great focus theme - choosing betwewen razors. You're using a rule-type software setting so changing razors while staying ocnsistent with the rest of the setup will help answer that question! Very nice!

20. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I hope that all goes according to plan with the insulin; doesn't really sound like a whole lot of fun... You'll need to acquire some new gear to make you feel better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.