Cell Rot is killing my Tiger

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by M14Shooter, Jan 23, 2019.

1. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Went to shave with my Tiger 49 this morning .She was in storage in a silicone sleeve.Cell rot has started to eat my poor Tiger .I pulled the scales off and put them in the trash .Was able to save the silver Tiger inlay.I coated the blade with breakfree oil and will sand and hone the blade this weekend .Not sure if blade can be saved.After honing I will know .The good news is that no other straight in storage was harmed.The outbreak was luckily contained to one blade .I think the silicone sleeve saved the other razor during the early stages of the cell rot outbreak.Not happy about the Tiger damage but am thankful that my other babies were not harmed .:angry017:
    rps20190123_105733_957.jpg

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Glad it wasn't worse, but sad to think the razor could be a loss. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    That old Faux Tortoise are as bad or worse than the Cracked Ice for Cell Rot

I have replaced dozens on the Pumas over the years :(

Keithmax likes this.
  4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I know nothing about this insidious disease but what I’ve read about the source being gas coming off the deteriorating scales, why not take the scales off and replace them with something gas free such as wood?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Keithmax likes this.
  5. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Originally the razor was fine with no out gassing .I was trying to leave the razor in its original condition with its silver inlay .I have a spare set of non celluloid scales I will put on this razor if I can restore her . Not sure how much damage has been done to the edge .

Keithmax and MntnMan62 like this.
  6. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Such a shame.... makes you wonder if they planned it that way....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I have read threads on this before... and have tried to get my head around it, but...

I'd never owned a blade with cracked ice scales until recently. Now I have one, what should I do/watch out for??

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If its plastic, do nothing. If its made of Celluloid, just oil the blade down after each use, and periodically inspect.

M14Shooter and Dansco like this.
  9. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Ok... what would I inspect for??

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If it were me, and I do this, on a couple, periodically, I wipe the blade, with a white tissue, or toilet paper. If it shows any reddish or brown color, on the paper, that is the beginning of rust.

11. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I am glad you caught it in time. I was given an old razor from a lady in her 80's. It had been her father's razor. When I opened the razor, metal was pooled up from the cell rot. Liquid steel.

12. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen with a vintage Grelot. I have some bacote scales made for it but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that wood scales are going to look right on it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019