Darwin Hollow Ground Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have been shaving with the Darwin Hollow Ground Safety Razor that @twhite sent me to try out. I thought I would make a short video on how it works.

targa88, jimjo1031, Jorvaljr and 6 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Wow..just wow Jim! And that adjustable innovation is inspired..:git:

Jayaruh, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Is the safety bar actually functional on the Darwin (unlike the Rolls)?

Jayaruh and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Guard Bar on the Rolls the Same as the Darwin Serves Two Functions..It Protects the Edge Getting Damaged Getting Flipped Over in the Stropping Mechanism & Serves as a Guard Bar Whilst Shaving..Personally I Dont Use the Rolls Guard Bar to Shave..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yes, Andrew, what Billy says. But unlike the Rolls, the Darwin is adjustable which makes it useful as a safety bar. The Rolls is just too far away to use it as a safety bar IMHO.

Linuxguile and Billyfergie like this.
  8. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Has anyone modified a Gem SE blade to fit a Darwin razor?

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I do not think it would work. I will have to get mine out and verify. As I recall the blade is an integral part of the razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dangermouse likes this.
  10. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I can't get one to fit. It's entirely the wrong shape. I've chipped one of my blades, which is a bummer.

11. le rat biblio

le rat biblio New Member

The Darwin blade has a worm screw which can be screwed in or out from either side of the blade. This is what actually makes the blade "adjustable" when the blade, in its separate bladeholder is attached to the Darwin handle & pushes against a backstop. The Darwin blade is also a so-called "wedge" probably more 3/4 to 1/2 wedge. The Darwin blade is approx the same height as a Gem blade but the Gem blade is wider. So, the Darwin blades are not interchangeable with any other razor, incl Rolls, & won't accept other manufacturers' blades,IMO.
    Some Continental razor manufacturers of yesteryear, eg Henckels, Heljerstrand, made razors that would accept their own wedge blades & also the Gem type blade. There's a discussion of this on, dare I mention it, Blade & Badger.Not sure if these wedge blades will fit a Gem razor.

dangermouse likes this.
  12. RFBNEW

RFBNEW Well-Known Member

Awesome! Way Cooler than Rolls!