Does anyone use a new DE razor every shave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by James_P, Dec 31, 2017.

1. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Hey all,
    I picked up 100 astra platinum for 9.95 on amazon at that price I could see using a new razor every shave but it seems wasteful. I’ve been doing about 1 week a blade I seem to shave every other day. I was watching a Leave it to Beaver episode someone posted here. They used a new blade every shave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9nein9 and LOOT like this.
  2. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Not me. I got a slew of different blades from Try-A-Blade and at the rate I am going it could be this time next year before my Astra's get any love again. I have to see how a blade performs over 4 or 5 shaves, and more importantly I am cheap.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I usually have about 4-5 shaves on a blade. And yeah, I'm cheap too.

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gillette wants you to use a new blade daily.

:)

I will venture that 3-7 shaves is the range where most people change to a new DE blade.

5. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I would have to say I’m cheap lol. That’s why I went to a safety razor. I can’t see paying 25. for 10 razors. Plus I seem to get a better shave from afar razors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9nein9 likes this.
  6. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I use a blade until it tells me it's done.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

9nein9, LOOT, James_P and 7 others like this.
  7. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I get 3 or 4 shaves with my favorite blades. That's two full passes and another 1/4 pass for touch up under the jaw bone. Astra (SP or Stainless), is included in that "favorite" category.

A couple brands barely make it through the third shave and made me wish I had changed it out after the second shave. I don't use those brands anymore.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I do 5-7 shaves before changing. I could do a lot more, but I don't try any more. My record I is 46 shaves with a Personna Super Blue. I used it in various razors, but I got 46 shaves before I put it back in the wrapper. I may put a few more shaves on it. We shall see. But one shave and done? I don't think so.

http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/2017/01/shave-of-day-125.html

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

At one blade weekly... Astra is ~$5 per year.

9nein9, EnglishChannel, LOOT and 2 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Same for me. I used to count uses of each blade during my 3+ passes. Then I got more razor and lost count. I'm not a "one and done" blade user, unless the blade tells me it's done.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

9nein9, EnglishChannel and James_P like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.
    Don't let anyone tell you how many shaves you should get or are allowed to have per blade.

12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I don’t remember who but someone in TSD has said they do 2 shaves per blade.

Personally I generally get 4.

Most blades for me seem to be ready for a 5th shave but then I always end up wondering why I didn’t chuck it after 4. I think Feather is the exception and maybe Black Ninjas.

9nein9, Keithmax and James_P like this.
  13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Blades don't even start to smooth out until at least the third shave, sometimes 10 or more! If you you're a "one and done" guy, you never get the best shaves a blade has to offer!

9nein9, EnglishChannel, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  14. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

I usually do a 3 pass and touch ups and get 2 - 3 shaves per blade, the closest shave is the first shave tho..get to the third shave and it takes more work to get the same result which has made me consider sticking to 1 or 2 shaves. Quality over quantity for me..blades are cheap enough, Do whatever you find works best !

9nein9, RyX and James_P like this.
  15. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Find a system that works for you. If you shave everyday, e.g. change a blade every Sunday as long as that specific blade is performing well. If you want to go longer, you can. It's entirely up to you.

16. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

From what I understand, back in the day, Gillette said you should replace the blade after every shave, which is why so many of the vintage Gillettes are TTO. They want to make it as easy as possible to replace the blade so that people replaced blades more often.
    Personally, I dont believe in replacing the blade after every shave but I do replace a blade as soon as its performance starts to diminish, which is about 3 shaves for me. I could probably stretch it out to 5 shaves but at 10 cents a blade I see no sense to stretch a blade.

9nein9, RyX and James_P like this.
  17. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Black Beauty blade. New every shave. 8 cents per shave. Works for me!

AGHisBBS and James_P like this.
  18. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Never go over 3 shaves per blade. Got back to de razors to get a better shave. I have 8 modern razors and 7 gillettes.
    About 15 hundred dollars worth, not counting brushes soaps and about 850 blades. At 15 cents a blade, me personally will not stretch a blade past 3 times.
    Also i am 75 years old so i have to use this stuff up.
    Everybody happy new year.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

19. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

This tactic seems to be the exception to the rule, as noted by most all above, but I've found that @TobyC is spot-on with his assessment.

90% of my shaves these days are with Gem SEs and stainless blades, so that may skew things a bit, but I've found it takes 3-4 shaves before the blade starts smoothing out. Then, as long as I'm keeping it clean and maintaining a proper angle, I can get 2-3 weeks out of a blade before it starts tugging.

Call me a cheap penny-pincher, but my stock of 200 Gem SS blades ought to last me well into 2024. :shocked003:

9nein9, James_P, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  20. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    I stopped counting long ago, and only try to keep track if it's a new-to-me blade. When it starts to tug, I toss 'em out. But I don't think I could bring myself to toss a perfectly good blade after just one shave...