Feathers

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sledge, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Sledge

Sledge New Member

I know many people state that some blades just do not mesh well with the individual face, but so many people say they have good luck with the feather brand DE blades im figuring its something im doing/not doing.

Today, even after having ran a feather through a cork, 5 times each edge, the shave i experienced was really really rough... the after shave nearly killed me. i think ive had better experience with a feather having NOT corked it. Ontop of it all, i started the shave with a swedish gillette, and that did not feel right either... (thats why i corked a feather and tried it) are there just days when blades dont do what you want them to? :confused:

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I Hate Them !

......except in my 1950-ish SuperSpeed. :love029
    That combo gives me THE best shaves. Every time.

Tried em in my Slant
    Tried em in my Futur
    Tried em in my Slim
    HATE EM IN EVERY ONE OF THOSE !

Corking ?......
    well. Ive never tried it so I cant really say but:rofl I doubt it works.

3. Sledge

Sledge New Member

yeah it was the first time ive tried corking... ive heard its supposed to smooth out the blade... kinda makes sense... almost like a mini strop for a DE lol but, it really didnt make a difference... in fact, it might have killed it... :(

4. If you have given the Feathers a good test & still feel the need to cork them, then there not for you.

Regards,

Paul

5. minderasr

minderasr Member

Love the Feather in my Progress. Haven't tried them in any of my other razors.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yeah there's nothing wrong with not being able to use a Feather, move on to another blade and come back to the Feather sometime in the future and see how it goes then.

7. Will

Will Nevermind

If the feather's don't work, don't use em. You will find the blade that fits your face. Even if you have to go through 100 of em.

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have a number of soaps or creams that work consistently so for blades, I use a reference shave. The new blade gets tried in the Merkur HD Classic 34G. It's pass or fail. If it fails there, then chances are it's going to fail up the progression of the Slant Bar, then the Open Comb and finally the Futur. It has four shots at passing. It has to pass at least 2 for me to consider it for keeping around. Even the Feathers don't pass them all but they give me the cleanest cut.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have some but have not tried them as yet. Others on other forums have told me that they love these blades becuase of the "Ninja sharpness."

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

That Ninja sharpness is not for everyone. You can rough up your face in a hurry.

11. Sledge

Sledge New Member

+1 ^ what he said lol

12. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I used a Feather for about three shaves early on. My face felt like it was very raw after each shave even though I didn't cut myself. I shelved them for a time when my technique is better.

13. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Individual reactions to blades vary a LOT --- hence the sampler packs. Some guys just can't use the Feathers, some guys love them. Try working through the largest sample packs from RazorandBrush and WestCoastShaving. (In the UK, from Connaught.) You'll find some blades that are perfect for you (without corking).

14. fritz

fritz New Member

It might be due to your technique (blade angle, pressure). Feathers are generally very sharp, so if your angle is too large or your pressure too great, the (bad) results will be even worse than with a less sharp blade. Perhaps wait a few weeks/months and try a Feather again.

15. Sledge

Sledge New Member

will do :)