Honing question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Suhrim21, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Is anyone willing to let me send them the stone and tell me exactly what it is and if it's a finished or pre-finisher or something else. Really looking for someone who is really knowledgeable and good with stones. I will pay postage to and fro. I just want to find out what it is. Maybe it just needs to be flattened and ran on with a high grit to make it smooth. I don't know much at all. I'm still trying to get a razor shaveable on either jnat or coti.

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Have you checked stone for flatness.
    If it’s not too far out i’d Offer to lap lap it for you.
    Lately i’ve Been lapping my stone with different grits on each surface for some variety
    If you are going to stay in this game a decent (inexpensive) straight edge Is a tool to look into.

Can’t help you on identifying I don’t have enough experience there.

With jnat, coti, pretty much any stone.... just because some says it’s finisher doesn't Make it so!

3. Suhrim21

Yea I need a straight edge and I found a diamond laping plate on Amazon fairly cheap. Has good reviews and a lot of them say it's used for lapping natural stones.

4. Leclec13

I suggest you get a granite tile or but out from counter top . I got a piece of free from a place that makes counter tops. Then buy some loose grit to lap. Check the granite slab with with straight edge. Or get a piece of granite tile From a tile and Flooring store. I bought 2 pieces to make a convex tile, and they gave me a 12x24 piece the first time they could not find price on it. Yo will hear arguments for one or the other. I find the tile / grit system way more versatile. I can lapp rough cut stone to flatten at 60 grit. Then up the grit progression to finish stone at 1200. I have a couple stones finished to different grits on each side. You can only lapp at one grit with diamond plate. You will probably wear out a higher grit diamond plate evening out rough cut hard stone.
    Even if you want to use wet dry sand paper instead you will need lapping surface and tile will serve well there
    Some say that that lapping grit will imbed in softer stones/ hones I have yet to find evidence it’s true.
    I got a technical straight edge from eBay ... foreign made checked against a starrett and it was just as straight

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Edison Carter and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wet/Dry sandpaper will take forever to lap, and you will go through quite a bit of the paper.

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

I am in the middle of testing some of the Coe Arkansas stones for the next week or so, but after that, I would be happy to slide yours onto the Honing Table a run some razors across it

I am assuming you are CONUS or shipping would get prohibitive for me to do the testing

7. Leclec13

looking forward to hearing your results on the Coe stones

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I cannot see where Coe sells his stones. Any link??

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Suhrim21

I am in California. And I would really appreciate it. Shoot me a pm when you have time. Thank you so much. I love the way the stone looks. And want it to perform the best it can. But have to figure out what it is and if it is a finishing stone or mid or what.

10. Suhrim21

11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Edison Carter and DaltonGang like this.
  12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

PM sent

I think you might have found the source, with the newly mined one, now it is about figuring out where it fits in the progression.

This saying goes back quite a few years

"Synthetic Hones are a science, Natural Stones are a Romance"

Each Natural has its quirks, that you have to figure out.

TestDepth, Leclec13, brit and 2 others like this.