How Does Replating...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by poppi, Sep 20, 2021.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

affect the razor? I mean, does it just make it look better/nicer or does it change the way it shaves?

Kinda think that it might change the way it shaves but that's just speculation on my part.

Comments/thoughts??

brit and Primotenore like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Why would it change the way it shaves? That coating of plating is so thin, you really think it'll make a difference in how the razor shaves?

Maybe it does. But I can't imagine it would.

brit likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I had a Milord Tech re-plated in Gold and not only did it look gorgeous, it shaved even better! (My perception, anyway).

Ron R, lightcs1776 and brit like this.
  4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Having had several razors replated over the years, I can say that as far as the shave goes, it didn't have any effect. Operation wise, the mechanics of TTO razors were improved since they were actually taken apart and all of the old whiskers and soap residue cleaned out. Plating is so thin, it doesn't change angles or blade gaps.

lightcs1776 and brit like this.
  5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have a couple razors replated and nothing changed except the razor looked better.

If you paint your house does the house change?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ron R likes this.
  7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Sometimes, yes. Windows get painted shut, hinges get painted shut... If you painted a TTO razor, the doors and knob would be painted shut. :p :D

Herm2502 likes this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I suppose so. But a reputable plater will do it right. I used Chris at Razorplate. As I understand Gillette plated their razors after assembly.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I can imagine that a replated razor feels slicker than one with roughly worn plating.