Tutorial How I restore the lettering on vintage brushes

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by HoosierTrooper, Jul 20, 2013.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Since a few guys have asked, here is a step by step tutorial on how I restore the faded lettering on vintage brushes. First, let me make it clear that I did not come up with this method on my own, I simply used the knowledge and experience of other guys that have been doing this a long time. So that's who the real credit goes to, not me.

Here is an Ever-Ready 300N nylon brush that I've removed the old knot from and am waiting for a knot to come from TGN to install. Since the lettering is spread out on this one I'm just going to do one section at a time, just so there's less wet paint to mess with each time.

[​IMG]

The first step is to saturate the lettering with paint, in this case it's Testors flat black model car paint, $1.59 a bottle at Hobby Lobby. I applied the paint with a Q-tip, making sure the word NYLON is completely covered.

[​IMG]

I then wiped of the excess paint with a couple small piece of newspaper, going from left to right. Paper towel or a cloth works as well, I just tore off a few pieces of the newspaper I had the handle setting on.

[​IMG]

After allowing it to dry in the bright sun we're having today I applied a second coat of paint and wiped it off going right to left to make sure the letters are filled in completely.

[​IMG]

After letting it set in the sun and dry thoroughly I then used Simichrome and Q-tips to polish off the excess.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll finish it up over the weekend doing each section individually. I have had a couple that have had little scratches or gouges, there's one on this one right above the Y that the paint gets in. You can see it in the third picture. I clean those out with a toothpick or a pin if they don't clean up with the Q-tip and polish.

Hope this helps!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Motion has been made to add this to our Tutorials.

alpla444 likes this.
  3. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Can I second that? If so I second it.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

HT, this is a great thread. I hope you will post pictures of the completed restore.

alpla444 likes this.
  5. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Thank you for the great info.

alpla444 likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

GREAT info Tom thanks for sharing.....I'd also like to see this post added to the Tutorials.....:) After all you can simply "NEVER" have to much info about razors, blades,soaps/creams,technique,pre/post shaves and repairing/restoring......:D

7. swarden43

Pssst. Take a look at what forum you're in ;)

Dave Paskowski and 178-bplatoon like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy097: I never look before answering.....:)

Douglas Carey and burnout961 like this.
  9. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Thanks Tom!! Very nice. Now I see the missing pieces from the ideas I was having about doing it. Off to the hobby store!

10. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Glad to be of help.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I started working on a couple of brushes that just arrived. The work is in progress, but so far, so good.

12. Dave Paskowski

:pics:

13. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Great Tutorial, I will try your method.

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

So far, I am working on 3 handles. They are not yet done, but here they are, as works in progress.
    [​IMG]
    I think the "Made Rite" is taking paint better than the others. But all are easier to read than before.

Douglas Carey and 178-bplatoon like this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I finished the brushes. Here they are;
    [​IMG]

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Purdy good.

18. Dave Paskowski

Very nice!!

19. swarden43

Super job!!! :bounce015:

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks guys. I was also wondering what (if anything) you can use as a sealant, to protect the newly restored lettering.