Tutorial Introducing our tutorial section.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by sparky5693, Jun 22, 2012.

1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    By popular request, we'd like to introduce our new tutorial section. Thread creation here has been limited, so that we can ensure the accuracy and usefulness of this section.

If you would like to contribute to the Tutorial forum, please visit the Tutorial Template thread for guidelines on creating a tutorial.

2. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Great idea! Thanks for all your continued work to make TSD even better!

...and just when I thought it couldn't be done...

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks for taking the suggestion on this, because I felt we needed a tutorial area for knowledge preservation. Sparky thanks and to the mod team thanks.

4. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Outstanding idea, will save so many people so much time.

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Everyone should keep in mind that these are specific tutorials and that most DIY projects should go in the Special Projects sub-section of the Inside The Den section. To that end, as it's been explained to me, the staff will decide which threads will go in this new section. If yours doesn't get approved to go here, please don't take it personally. As this section fills out, you'll have a better understanding of the kinds of tutorials this section is for.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Excellent idea. I look forward to seing the entries as they come in.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    For the Tutorial section, keep in mind thread titles need to be specific to the content in the thread.
    "Cleaning A Gold-Plated Razor" is better than "from rags to riches".
    A thread won't be disqualified for addition to Tutorials based on the title, but titles may require editing for Tutorial final approval.

Also, the more in-depth and succinct a tutorial is, the better. For this section to be useful, we will avoid overloading it with 500 similar threads.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Are Video Tutorials acceptable??? Or more of the step by step picture ones???

9. Queen of Blades

We'd be crazy to turn down any tutorials from you, Glen. ;)

Bird Lives likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I am amazed and humbled by the fact the a thread I made was the first tutorial to be posted in this section. I remember reading more than a few threads that I considered outstanding and sticky worthy. One of which I linked to in my thread on DIY shave sticks. That thread on lathering I have put forth as a candidate for this section. Sadly the only other threads I can think of offhand is the Super Speed Identification thread, and gssixgun's thread on proper honing and stropping techniques.

Thank you, to whoever suggested that my thread end up here. And thank you, Sparky, this section will be a great help to new wet shavers.

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Thaaaaat's better.

:p

Queen of Blades and gssixgun like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If your thread needs to be edited, the moderator team may ask you for suggestions as to how to change the original thread name to something that would be more appropriate for a long term tutorial.
    If this occurs please assist them so that they can better convey a thread that was originally created for literary effect into a tutorial style thread.
    Thanks.

13. Barber Eile

Barber Eile Member

So if I have a tutorial I want to post where should I submit it for the attention of the mods of this section?

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Just post your tutorial in in the appropriate section of the forums, then go to the bottom of your post, click on "report". A box will pop up, type in "tutorial submittal" or something similar and send it on it's way.

Bottom of your post:

Barber Eile, A moment ago Edit Delete Report

15. Queen of Blades

Folks might want to hold off on any further suggestions for tutorials at this time. The mods are discussing how we want the section to develop. We will announce when we are ready for more tutorials.

I'm gonna guess you are using the default style on the forum.
    Most of what I've quoted is not visible in Vintage.

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    :ashamed001:. Thanks.

17. Queen of Blades

Update;

If you would like to contribute to the Tutorial forum, please visit the Tutorial Template thread for guidelines on creating a tutorial.

gssixgun likes this.
  18. robbiebelling

robbiebelling New Member

Nice tutorial