kai blade review. wow

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Double Edge Dougy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Alrite i have to start this by acknowledging that a very generous member sent me an unexpected 5 pack of the kai blades so truely thank you. (The generousity of many of the members astounds me and im sure i dont know the half of it.)

Ill just say it off the bat these kai blades gave me the best shave ive had to date (im still new) i can feel a noticeable differences of smoothness and i dont know if its in my mind but i think i can even see a difference. Even the first pass would have been sufficient if i wanted to stop there but i went for the 3pass.

Another observation is that the blade was "loud" weve all heard whiskers bieng cut but i couldnt help but take note of how much i heard...any info on this???

Also ive never tried astra or feather so any opinions on kai vs feather or kai vs astra

Ive tried a few expensive products and most the time feel the cheap stuff holds up well against it, but i might be in search of kai blades

2. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

I too am a big fan of the Kai. They are a special surgical steel blade. You can get them at Razor Blades & More but they cost a cool $6 per 10. The Kai blows away the Feather for sharpness and don't even talk about the Astra in the same breath. Believe it or not I tried a Lord Platinum Class blade yesterday (For like $13 per 100) and felt the shave was comparable to the Kai. Go figure.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I always like to start cheap and go up....Right now the Astra SP is my most used blade,but the PolSilver Super Iridium is my favorite...How did you find the Kai blades shave Dougy (smooth or harsh)? I've always found the Feathers harsh as well as expensive...However for $13 per 100 I think I'll need to give some Lord Platinum Class blades a try....:)

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I got a 5-pack of Kai's in my sampler and have just got around to using them. I'm 3 blades and 2 weeks in and these are some impressive blades. Sharpness and smoothness are both probably the best of any blade I've tried yet. They've also worked really well in all 3 of the razors I've tried them in so far (Muhle R89, Fatboy, Futur). I'd really like to find a place to buy some at less that $.60 each. I'll probably end up buying a hundred even at that price just because I like them that much.

awk-m4 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Kai is often touted as being in the same class as Feather as far as sharpness is concerned. Kai blades are one of the three that I have wanted to try, but haven't got around to yet (Kai, Perma-Sharp, and Flying Eagle are the three). I've heard good things about them, but the high price has made me shy away.

As for the Lord Platinums, I LOVE them. They are a great blade at a great price. They're not my favorite, but they're in my top five. You can get them from West Coast Shaving $10/100. http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Lord-Platinum-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades-100-Blades_p_299.html

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Yea it was actually really smooth as well as sharp. No tugging. I kept thinking of that old saying a sharp knife is a safe knife and wasnt worried about cutting myself or having weepers at all

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

I think the Kai blades are a LOT better than Astras.

Kai versus Feather is another discussion. I haven't use a Kai blade in over a year. In my memory, though, the Kai blades lasted at least one shave longer than a Feather, but I didn't think they were quite as sharp as the Feathers.

I think the second shave with a Feather blade is the pinnacle of what a razor blade should feel like. First shave is a bit harsh, second shave is nirvana, third shave is pretty good, fourth shave is harsh again for the opposite reason.

I could get four good shaves out of a Kai, and probably 5. That's the most I can get from any currently available blade.

awk-m4 and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Of course.

A combat between top blades.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Kai is my favorite. Feather gives just as nice a shave but doesn't have nearly the life Kai does.
    Does anyone know where the best deal on Kai is?

I would love to stock up on some. I'm out of them and on my last feather, which felt like it was pretty much done with this mornings shave.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Lakebound

Lakebound Well-Known Member

Razor Blades and More is a great place to do business with too. They have great shipping service and they pack the goods very well to avoid damage. Shop with confidence!

Frank

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

+1. My favorite blade that I have tried so far is Personna Lab/Med Prep. I have ignored all other blades because these work so well for me. The only other blades that gave me great shaves were Blue Birds and Feathers. Astra, IP, and Gillette 7 o' clock blue all made my face feel horrible.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. Just ordered 50 med prep and 10 Kai.
    Can't wait!

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the input on these blades! I've been curious for some time, and may now try them. These days, my "go-to" blades are USA made Personna "lab blue," Feather, Gillette 7 o'yellow for a distant third. Feather is the sharpest that I've tried, and I personally find the Personna blades to be a nice middle ground between the sharpness of Feather, the longevity of Gillette 7 o'clock yellow pack and the smoothness of a Shark Super Stainless. Now I'm going to have to rock the boat and try some Kai! ;)

15. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Dougy, I rarely DE shave anymore but I have to say - based on your endorsement I'll have to find a small pack of these and give them a try. It's great to hear when someone finds something "game changing" for their shave.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  16. steelheart1948

steelheart1948 New Member

17. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

If you haven't already ... sign up for my PIF blade giveaway, among the blades are twenty some Kai blades :happy088:

Jorvaljr and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  18. GMPTA

GMPTA Active Member

I'm gonna have to find these and give them a try after reading some of these reviews about them!

19. Papa Roy

Papa Roy Active Member

I too like Kai blades!

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  20. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I think that I've tested around 20 different blades so far and Kais are the best by a long shot. I thought that Feathers were perfect but Kais happened to be even smoother. I always thought that the pricing was a bit absurd considering how much more they cost compared to virtually every other blade, even Feathers, but I can definitely justify the cost based on their performance. A tuck of 5 Kai blades is still cheaper or on par with the cost of modern cartridges and although I have yet to determine the longevity of these blades, I always get at least 2 to 3 good shaves out of most blades.

Str8on2 and PickledNorthern like this.