Karve razor by Christopher Bradley: First impressions....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jul 8, 2018.

1. bigwaverazor

bigwaverazor Well-Known Member

I read one guy saying that the GC .84 is equivalent to a Plate-D KARVE.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Thanks but I shave my head.

3. bigwaverazor

So do I. I shave my head with every razor I own, no matter the aggressiveness or blade. LoL

The KARVE Plate-D is very gentle. E and F are my most used plates, face and head.

I shave my head with KARVE plate F, Timeless 0.95 open comb, ATT H1, Fatboy wide open, and Schick type E.... Just not yet with a shavette or Feather SS Japanese (Artist Club SE) Straight Razor :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Zed117 likes this.
  4. bigwaverazor

Here's some NEW news... Open Comb KARVE CB Razor. Coming Soon!!!

Screenshot_20190222-101253_Gmail.jpg

clint64, Hembree and brit like this.
  5. bigwaverazor

The KARVE Open Comb Plate went on sale today, Feb 22, 2019 @ 4pm PST. I bought OC plate-C and OC plate-D. I'll post later after they arrive and I get a few shaves in. [​IMG]

clint64 and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

definitely getting one of these razors.. few other things to do first..

Hembree and clint64 like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 25, 2019
    Karve D Plate
    Feather
    Alpha T-400
    AOS Sandalwood Cream
    Fine Santal Absolut

[​IMG]

MntnMan62, Str8on2 and brit like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 26, 2019
    Karve D Plate
    Feather
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    Stirling R4L Soap
    And Aftershave

[​IMG]

Keithmax, brit and Str8on2 like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 27, 2019
    Karve D Plate
    Feather
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    Oleo Shiloh Soap
    And Aftershave

[​IMG]

Keithmax, brit and Str8on2 like this.
  10. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Nice, I got the B OC plate. I have A,B,C and use B the most.

brit likes this.
  11. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Finally got to try out the Karve with the new OC plate offerings. Went full on in with the F plate as I had ordered 3 base plates in B, D & F. Fit and finish is as expected, just excellent with superb precision and tolerances. The shave was on par with the quality of the product. Plain and simply, superb. Excellent blade feel while still retaining an unexpected smoothness that was very good on the skin. Don’t get me wrong, the blade feel is there such as if you got a bit careless, it will bite. I know, I got careless around the throat area and Sir Adam and I gave myself a nic. But, that was totally on me as I did not skin stretch enough and turned simultaneously while performing some touch ups in that area. Nothing to do with the razor itself as the performance was flawless. The F is not as aggressive as I thought it would be but, that’s not a bad thing. It gives you a bit more blade feel than the F SB plate yet retains that SB smoothness. I would put it at the level of the R41 post 2011 with a softer and easier skin feel, if that makes sense.

In the end it was a great shave. And honestly, I got exactly what I wanted. I wasn’t looking for a ferocious feeling whisker whacker as I have quite a few of those in my stable. But, rather an efficient yet smooth whisker reducing tool that takes care of business with as little fuss as possible. With the Karve F plate, mission accomplished.....

I’ll be running the Karve OC plates for the rest of the month of March as I’m in a Fixed Four event on another forum. Good timing to get to know this razor with its open comb plate offerings. Will post from time to time with all 3 plate findings and experiences.

Happy shaves all.....

39E7A03C-8E81-439D-A95F-D13F7AFE45C8.jpeg

Keithmax, brit, Zed117 and 2 others like this.
  12. bigwaverazor

After using the KARVE OC plate-D and loving it, I think I'll be purchasing the OC Plate-F, sooner then later.
    1551764465690493.jpg

Str8on2, brit and clint64 like this.
  13. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

My B OC plate arrived yesterday. I find it a lot easier to find the correct angle with the teeth over the SB. It was still just as smooth as the normal B plate, but more efficient, not more aggressive. Perhaps a smidge more blade feel too.

A truly fantastic shave, best shave My Karve has ever giving me too, such a joy to use.
    received_1387588211390633.jpeg

Keithmax, BigMark83, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  14. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Really thinking about a C & D plate too...

15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Bro, that's a nice looking brush.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Zed117 likes this.
  16. Str8on2

Skipped a day and got to try the Karve with the D OC plate for today’s shave. A great, great shave indeed. Excellent smoothness with a smidge more efficiency over the regular D plate. Feels just as good and perhaps even better than my E straight bar plate. Just a great feeling shave that made short work of 2 days growth without any irritation, nics or cuts. 2 passes that left me near BBS and a 3rd for touch ups that brought me there. Cleaned up around Sir Adam very nicely, better than the B plate on the previous shave. The D OC plate was a perfect bridge between the milder B plate and the bit more blade feeling F plate. All 3 are great and performed flawlessly from start to finish. But, the D OC is just about perfect for my whiskers. It struck the best balance of smoothness & efficiency between this trio. Whatever Chris did at Karve, he nailed the geometry on the open comb plates. Great face feel without any harshness for an open comb and as strange as it may sound, perhaps feeling a bit better than the Karve straight bar versions. I sampled an RFB and considered it to be one of the smoothest yet efficient razors that blended both qualities to near perfection. The Karve with the D just might have equaled it, if not surpassed it....

224FDAAF-72BB-4D20-A5FF-A42588E58C34.jpeg

Keithmax, Hembree, brit and 3 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo and report Gus. I have a D OC plate ordered. I am looking forward to comparing it to my D safety bar.

18. Str8on2

Good choice Clint. I think you will find that the D open comb plate somehow improves on the overall feel and quality of the shave. Just as smooth if not smoother with excellent cutting action that is real easy on the skin. Enjoy amigo...

19. Str8on2

2nd shave with the D OC plate. Waited an extra couple of days to really see what the D plate could do with 3 days growth. 3 passes as the razor and blade combo went through the whiskers like a hot knife through butter. Again, I can’t reiterate enough on how good of a balance this particular plate strikes for me. Smoothness, feel and efficiency is about as good as it gets. I’d recommend this plate to ANYONE from mild shave chasers to upper blade feel mongers. It is that good. Just an excellent and well balanced combination with this plate....

F53E29F7-4FF3-4FDA-8BF3-6658D00FCC50.jpeg

Keithmax, Hembree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  20. Str8on2

A great relaxing shave with a mild but, deceptively efficient B plate. 3 passes plus minor chin buffing and it’s a wrap..... No losers in the Karve razor package. I’ve put in 6 straight shaves with the Karve and the various plates in the Open Comb configurations (B-D-F) and all have performed extremely well. The razor has excellent balance, weight distribution and great face feel. It’s a do it all shave system that delivers from soup to nuts. A wonderfully made and well executed razor.....

A655CB2E-CE78-4576-B0BF-031C57A533A6.jpeg

Keithmax, geogil, clint64 and 3 others like this.