My cold water lathering building, shave routine

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Azarius, Jun 9, 2012.

1. pitrow

pitrow New Member

Newb question here, but what's the purpose of the ice water? Does having the water that cold help? I've always used warm water for my shaving.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The theory is that the cold water tightens the skin which raises the facial hair to an optimum 90 degree angle. For the record, Arley, the original poster, has switched back to hot/warm water shaving.

3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that???

Azarius likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I sure as heck thought he said he was. Oops.:ashamed001: I guess it's not his fault one of his ancestors shared carnal knowledge with a polar bear.:)

Metro and Azarius like this.
  5. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

I had used warm water for the blind blade test, as I wanted to keep my routine as similar as other users.

I use cold or ice water for shaving because I love the feeling of cold water. One, it really wakes you up, and two, I have zero tolerance for heat. I hate to get out of a nice cool shower only to get sweaty from hot water in the sink and in my shaving bowl.

I will apply small amount of hot tap water on a soap puck such as Tabac to load the brush, but that is about it for hot water for me.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I cold water shave but just use cold tap water. Finding ice cubes in the morning calls for more organizational skills than I can muster.

Zereoue20 likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Having used both very hot and very cold water at various times, I now just use luke. Results for me have been pretty much the same for the middle temp. as for either extreme and I find it much easier to accomplish. What I do is fill the sink around half way with hot water (SWMBO likes "HOT" water so its near scalding from the tap), put my shave bowl and brush in the sink to soak while I shower. When I'm ready to shave I fill the sink the rest of the way with whatever water is left on the hot side while I make my lather. So the water I use to shave is neither extemely hot nor cold. I find it easy, quick, consistent and works as well for me as either extreme.