Oldest wet shaving forums

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Alex7, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've been a part of four other shave sites. A few are too quiet, but B&B is so reactionary that I felt like I needed to walk on egg shells in every conversations. Almost like it's ran by a bunch of bullies and their friends. I was warned a few time that I did something wrong, but they wouldn't explain why or what rules were broken. I'm still a member there, but now I only read and rarely post (once or twice a year). It's sad ..... there are few really nice, smart people there to talk to, but I always felt like I had to fly under the radar, or I'd be shot down.

That's why I've made my home here. :eatdrink013:

Tedolph, MikeyIdaho, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

For the purposes of just this post If I say "we" I'm denoting citizens of the U.S., and "they" is everyone else. Is that one of those very American things? ;) There's a reason we act like teenagers in a room full of grandparents. Not trying to get Political, but they have long histories and for us getting to make choices about who we will be is a bright wide open future. We are uncultured, or still trying to figure out what our culture will be. And playing our radios too loud for the tastes of them in the room.

I am curious what you consider a very American off topic discussion! If you care to share here, or in PM.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm guessing having a negative opinion about a Sponsors product is a high offense over there. That's an advantage here at TSD. We do have a couple Supporting Vendors, but they are small business people, not MegaCorporations. The majority of funds are generated by raffles and donations. We are here as a community to discuss Wet Shaving.

mrchick, jtspartan, mvd and 2 others like this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Quite straightforward examples; cars for instance. Or healthcare and pension options. I guess parking and navigating the streets is something completely different in most American cities than it is in Amsterdam, Brussels, or Manchester ;)

Or shopping recommendations, inside jokes, beer choices, or simply an "Art of Shaving" rant ... I have never seen an Art of Shaving shop in my entire life :p

BaylorGator, RyX, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  5. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I thought the first partial ban was a little heavy handed. But I definitely deserved the total site ban for creating a second account. My impetuousness got the best of me. And now hearing about The Shaving Cadre, I submitted my request to join that one. So that will make 5 for me. And if B&B would take me back, I'd rejoin and promise to be a gentleman and be good.

RyX, Frijolero and brit like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Never! They can stick their attitude up their [censored] ;)

7. MntnMan62

Yeah, but there are some guys there that I exchanged quite a bit of back and forth who don't appear to be on the other four sites I joined. So I'd be willing to ignore the moderators and agree to behave so I can reconnect. That's the only reason. Otherwise, I can't argue with your sentiment. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot as I imagine some of the mods there also belong to these sites.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

thankfully the bad attitudes aren't here..wouldn'be tolerated ..great group here,..i am not one to go swimming in murky waters..are there other ways to contact your friends?

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

You never know when the Cartel is watching.....

RyX, Hembree, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  10. MntnMan62

I would if I knew how. My connection was only through B&B. I should add that I won't even attempt to rejoin until a full year has passed since my banishment. If I can't rejoin then, I'll know the ban is for life.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Shaver X, RyX, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hard to believe eh?

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A well groomed beard is a thing of beauty. BULLY for you on keeping it up!

13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Hey there, just because some people have beards doesn't mean they don't shave their heads .

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

mrchick, RyX and Hembree like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Never been in an AoS myself, either. Some folks like their products and I apprciate the ability to sniff a soap or As before buying. That company tends to place their stores in high traffic shopping malls. Those "many stores under one roof" seem Very American, though they are going the way of small town down town shopping. Amazon & online shopping is too easy.

Driving and parking? Guess I don't think about jumping on the Interstate Highway and driving 60 miles/100 km to the next metro area. While there are regional differences to the 48 CONUS states, it's commercially all the same. Twenty four hour burger joints, Walmarts, and grocery stores don't vary much. You've got to get into little towns to see what is special about each state.

For folks that live in large cities, mass transit can serve. With out checking the stats I'd hazard a guess that most people live just outside of those big cities. That's what Rush Hour is all about. And cars since we spend a good deal of our time sitting in one. If you leave 15 minutes earlier, you might cut your ride to work by 45 minutes of bumper to bumper and 8 lanes wide going 12 miles an hour. I lived in Atlanta for twenty years - 5.5 to 6.5 million residents depending on where you draw the lines. Now I'm on the Gulf Coast where there's barely 200k people in a 60 mile diameter range. If you've ever seen Andy Taylor's Mayberry we're only a decade or two further along in local progress.

As for beer? I can take it or leave it. Fortunate to have a non addictive personality when it comes to intoxicants. I'd prefer a Bourbon and Coke in the privacy of my own home or back yard. Bars & Clubs have a high mark up in price and then you still have to drive home. There's a growing trend with a certain green leafy product. Many States have allowed Medical use, some Recreational. It's still illegal on the Federal level but folks are free to move about and take up residence in other states if that's something they should pursue.

As to inside jokes, if you spot one - ask! Part of being brash Americans is imposing our culture on others.
    Gandhi on Western Civilization.jpg

I took a look at TSC forum. Looks to be a relaxed, laid back group. Good luck and I hope they let you join up! But don't be a stranger here. We need good folks that play nice.

I'm not far from that now - the head shaving thing. The old Male Pattern Baldness with a 5/8" trim on the remaining fringe. I haven't grown a beard since I discovered Wet Shaving in 2015 but if I skip a couple days it's a lot whiter than it used to be. One day I might just up and do a head shave, but living in the South I wouldn't do a beard except for December to February. It's too hot & humid here in Louisiana.

15. MntnMan62

That's my take on The Shaving Cadre as well. No need for worry about my being a stranger here. I find plenty to yap about on all the forums.

RyX, Frijolero and brit like this.
  16. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I was on B&B for a couple of years before landing here, and that was in 2009. So I imagine B&B has been around from at least the mid 2000-2010 years.

TSD has less dogma than any forum I've been associated with, regardless of subject.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    mrchick, RyX, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Primotenore, RyX, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    SRP goes back in one form or another to 2000,, as an actual dotCom Forum 2005

Not sure if any predate it.. But I don't think so, at least not any I have found

I am or have been a member of most of them out there

I only hang out on two now

SRP and TSD they are the top ones IMHO :)

19. oversaturn

oversaturn Active Member

Join the club...
    I was given a temporary ban just for putting a link to another shaving forum, something apparently forbidden there...
    Was a daily poster at B&B at the time. Now I scarcely go there and I'm in peace with that.

Enviado do meu Redmi Note 6 Pro através do Tapatalk

MntnMan62, RyX, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

After my temporary ban, I was so mad at B&B that I changed my email address to a temporary Gmail account (which does not exist anymore) and changed my password to a random string. So I effectively banned myself and I don't regret it

Tedolph, Shaver X, Keithmax and 5 others like this.