Rocnel Sailor 2020

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by snuff, Mar 15, 2021.

1. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I read some reviews for this razor from people who's opinion I hold in high regard (they seem to have a similar taste in razors) and decided to contact Murat for a order. Had to wait a week or two as they where being assembled at that moment. Very good communication with the maker I must say.

Took less then 48 hours from Turkey to Belgium. Beautiful package, best I have seen so far. I owned the Sailor gold ring first gen but this is certainly a big improvement.

Until now never found a adjustable that I really liked a lot and I've tried many. Visually it's a jewel (although a lot of my shaving friends find it over the top and ugly because of it's massiveness and weight).

The balance is good (much better than a Pils for instance), it's heavy and massive but I had no problem in areas like under the nose and such. Started at stand 1 and upped that every next shave, I kept the stand the same during the whole 3 pass shave during the test phase.

Since I've gone thru all stands up to twice around the dot, for me all stands are useable although for me personally stands 2 up to 6 will be the most used. Still experimenting what gives the best result, going up thru the settings after each pass or going down.

Only once did I draw a little bit of blood on stand 8, with the big opening the corner of the Feather blade hooked my earlobe a bit.

The Sailor 2020 will get a place among my favourite razors (Paradigm, Raw shaving, Blackland, ....). Like several others I would love a Titanium version. The high price is already forgotten because the pleasure I get out of it.

170 grams but still well balanced. Someone who is used to apply pressure to his razors will be less happy with it, but those with good technique and who take the weight for granted will surely have a grin from ear to ear.
    These are the positions that are possible with the openings:
    .90 - 1.10 - 1.20 - 1.30 - 1.40 - 1.55 - 1.65 - 1.75 - 1.90 - 2.05 - 2.13 mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brit, Enrico, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I don't know anything about it but it is gorgeous. Congratulations.

snuff likes this.
  3. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

This must be a lot of fun.
    :p

Never seen numbers like this.
    :eek:

It's a jewel.
    :eatdrink047:

Ijustmissedthe50s, snuff and Hembree like this.
  4. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

That's a great looking razor. Thanks for posting the gap range. I like the white box, I'd not seen that one before. All of mine are blue. Great packaging.

snuff and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  5. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I keep my fingers crossed that there will be a titanium version next year.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Congratulations! That is a beautiful razor, Rocnel does great work.

snuff likes this.
  7. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

for the days that you feel very adventurous ;) (still a very nice shave)

[​IMG]

brit, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: Beautiful razor!!

:eatdrink013:

snuff likes this.
  9. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

In a week or two there should be a new slim version available somewhat cheaper in price (without the gold and around 130 grams instead of 170) but I don't know how the shave will be, according to Murat the new model has completely changed in design.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

Been using the new 2021 for a few days now.

There are some video's with shaves from the Rocnel Sailor 2021 on YouTube (John shaves) My experience is otherwise (not to say that his is not ok, it's very personal, just wanted to give my impressions, YMMV)

Out of curiosity I used a Kai blade for last nights shave and this morning shave. To my surprise it worked really well, got two very pleasant shaves (yesterday evening setting 5 and today setting 6). Not aggressive at all (for me that is).

Not to be seen as a negative comment, we all have or way of doing things but the difference in shaving ritual compared to the video's: I only work in the lather for a minute at the most (I know .... but this gives me better results then longer), angle is about the same but main difference is that within a pass I never ever go twice over the same spot (in the video I noticed that within one pass some areas where shaved like up to ten times in the same spot, again we all have or preferences but for me that would mean irritation no matter what razor or blade.)

Did a comparison between the 2020 and 2021 this morning, still prefer the 2020 but they are close. Have a nice shave!

[​IMG]

11. HDSledge

HDSledge Active Member

This post from you is what convinced me to spring for @LOOT's spare 2020 Sailor instead of ordering the 2021. I already like the extra weight and size. Not downing the 2021 but it looks small next to the 2020. It should be here in 2 days and I can't wait to try it out.

snuff and LOOT like this.