Tweezerman or Parker Black Badger Bristle?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by kevinajili, May 5, 2012.

1. kevinajili

kevinajili New Member

I know the Parker is almost twice the price but for some reason it seems as if the Tweezerman might be superior, and I searched for this comparison and could not find it, so has anybody actually tried both and are able to compare the two?

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

You don't want black badger... I know several people started with Tweezerman as well, but I would skip past it and buy an Omega boar, apples to oranges I know.

newb likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

if you want a quality badger brush, kick in 10-20 dollars more and you can get a badger that will last you for years. I spent just under $40 on mine something like three years ago and I'm still happy with it.

EDIT: just checked, and you can find an Edwin Jagger pure badger brush (my brush) for $35 from the right vendor. The next grade up starts in the mid $40 range for most brands.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I'm with the consensus, a good Omega boar is an excellent daily brush. Broken in they feel as soft as the best badgers IMHO. One good budget badger brush I have is a Rooney Pure Badger, its $50 from Classic Shaving. Its soft ,has okay back bone and seems to me a nice every day brush, not problem in recommending this one.

NoobShaver likes this.
  6. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

My two cents get a vie long horse , soft tips and good backbone without the skitch of black badger , If you want some scrub action boar from semogue maybe a 1520 or a 1305 . gifts and care in spain link for vie long linked http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/cata...adger-horse-a-boar/horse-shaving-brushes.html good vendor . Vintage scent has a great prices on semogue brushes just ordered a owners club in cherry $28 dollars shipped http://vintagescent.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=113

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'd go with an Omega or Semogue Boar. Loving them once they're broken in! Very inexpensive (Not cheap brushes by any means) and great performers.

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

Neither are worthwhile brushes IMHO. There are much better brushes available for about the same cost.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Tweezerman brush has many dismal reviews on Amazon. Take it with a grain of salt, because people are more likely to leave a review if they have a negative experience. Having read the reviews, I decided early on that I would leave wood handled brushes to others as the life expectancy of any brush in a wood handle would be limited.

I'd be willing to try a burl handled, ebony, ironwood, teak, or an epoxy stabilized wood handled brush. I figure the handle would go about the same time the knot did. 20+ years:)

10. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I have a Tweezerman badger brush and love it. The only problem I have encountered after about 2 years is that the wooden handle has a slight 1/16" split in it right around where the knot is. This however does not affect anything and I doubt if it will split any further. I think the split may have happened early on when I used to soak it in the sink when I was in the shower. I always turn it upside down to dry so water did not sit in the knot hole. However, with that said, its a good brush for the low cost. I found the tweezerman very good for face lathering.

11. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

same here nothing bad to say about my tweezerman brush!! I dry mine upside down. No cracks and it lathers just great.

12. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

If you are seeking a first badger brush, the Tweezerman is a good choice. I have had mine for 3 years and it is still a great brush. For under $20 you cannot beat the price either. There are some who have experienced excessive shedding initially, but I was lucky and saw no shedding. I bought 2 for gifts, and they have had no problems either.

13. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I have a Tweezerman as well and although I haven't used it in a while it has always done a great job for me. I never had any problems with shedding or cracking. I do, however, have a chip off the bottom from when I dropped it once.

14. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

That is the reason that i haven't bought yet from that mark
    I 've heard some rumors and i was hesitant.

15. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Well, I have a Tweezerman and I would have to say that mine has served me well. However, over the past year I have learned of other very affordable brushes out there that are IMHO far superior to the Tweezerman. Therefore, if I had it to do again I would not buy another one. Personally, I would buy a Frank's or an Omega. The Tweezerman is OK, has a lot of backbone but is certainly not a soft brush, pretty scratchy to the face and takes a while to break in. Does do the job though.

Conrad1959 and newb like this.
  16. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I have tried some Best/Super Badger knots and i find the Pure/Black Badger better although they scratch a little bit and they are not very soft. I don't want very soft knots,the open like a "ventalia" with a gap in the center of them. I am close to the "stiff" side in shaving brushes.

17. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

A quick Google search for Tweezerman showed Amazon at $9.32 with free shipping on orders over $25. I used a similar sale 3yrs ago to get 3 stocking stuffers for friends and family who were considering wet shaving. This gift was a huge success, as they all are hooked on wet shaving now, and have thanked me many times for that gift. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G647Y8/?tag=thshde-20

Doryferon likes this.
  18. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Personally a good boar such as Semogue or Omega, is a better choice then a cheaper badger.

newb likes this.
  19. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I'm a couple of days in on using my Frank's brush and have a thread going on my findings. But quickly, that brush is just amazing so far. Quality-wise it is so far beyond my Tweezerman that it would be very hard to go back now. My opinion of course. The brush only cost me $35 and that's not because it is a cheaply made brush but rather because they cut out the middle-men in it's manufacture and the badger hair comes from point-of-origin. Just putting that out there.

20. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

One badger I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Escali pure badger. I got mine from the Sears website (not the best place to shop, but hey I was still learning:)) I think I paid about $20 for it and it only loses a hair every now and then. Now I've only had it about 6 months now, but it seems to be holding up well, it's not to scritchy and both bowl and face lathers very well. I also have the elusive Dridecker (Shea Moisture brush) which you can get(if you're lucky:happy108: ) at Target for around $9. Personally I find it a little to floppy, but I do get decent lathers with it. As for boars I can't comment 'cause all I have at the moment a Marvy Eterna and a VDH.