Astra 501 (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, Oct 30, 2011.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am not sure why, but I have always loved the design of the Schick Platinum DE razor. Recently I saw this Astra 501 on ebay Argentina, and decided I had to have it. I hadn't seen one previously, so I wanted to share some pictures.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are side by side pictures with a Schick Platinum. Notice a couple distinct differences. First, the knurling is different, but more importantly, the safety bar is different. The Astra is almost like an open comb.
    [​IMG]
    No idea why they did plastic end caps on the Astra.

And finally, a photo of my unhealthy obsession. The top one in the Schick case came in that case, but it isn't labeled Schick on the razor, and is kind of sloppy. I am not sure if it was a prototype, or a bad Russian knock off.
    [​IMG]

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice razor, Rodd. That is interesting about the safety bar difference. Thanks for sharing.

rodd likes this.
  3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

That's pretty pimp, I must say.

rodd likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent photos and article.

rodd likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs154: Thanks for sharing.

rodd likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Cool! I have seen one or two of the Schick Platinum on Ebay over the last year. They always go for big bucks.

rodd likes this.
  7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thanks guys!
    They don't show up too often, which I am sure is what drives up the price. I have lucked out finding most of mine under the radar. The shave is a lot like a Krona, but the handle shape is quite unique.

8. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

That Astra looks great! How does it feel compared to the Schick?
    Also thanks for posting the name of the Schick razor. I have one but didn't know what it was called...I blame the Japanese packaging!

Enjoy the Astra!

rodd likes this.
  9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Hmm... I've seen the Astra on eBay before, but never paid close enough attention to them to see the differences to my Schick Platinum.

Now I want one. :(

rodd likes this.