Dandy Razor - Any Info?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by eddelgado, Mar 6, 2008.

1. eddelgado

eddelgado New Member

I recently made a purchase on E-bay and along came up with a Dandy Razor. I was buying several razors and I figured the Dandy looked to be a single edge razor such as a Gem or an Ever-Ready however it is not.

The top swings open from the side to reveal the blade. The blade has no identifying marks on it at all but it is about the thickness of a single edged blade such as the Gem blades. The blade is a bit narrower and shorter than a single edged blade and does not have a stiffener/spine like a single edged.

Was this blade resharpened? Was it stropped? Was there a tool to do it? Did you buy replacements?

I would appreciate any info on this razor and it's history.

Thanks

Ed

Attached Files:

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Wow.... I've never seen a razor like that one :ashamed001

3. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Welcome!

Got to say I have NO idea about that razor at all. I'd love to find out more about it though...

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Ed!

A few guys have some razor reference books, and should be able to (hopefully) provide us all with a few clues on this razor.

It certainly is a dandy! (pun intended) :happy088

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Here ya go!

Welcome to The Shave Den Ed!
    Description: Dandy Safety Razor, Circa 1910
    Manufacturer: The Traut And Hine Mfg. Company, No 1 Union Square, New York
    Type: Single-Edge
    Patent: Pat Applied For
    "Was this blade resharpened? Was it stropped? Was there a tool to do it? Did you buy replacements?"
    My guess is that they could have been stropped, seem kinda thin to be resharpened, no tool shown with the package, probably replacements available. Someone else may be able to help us out with that info.
    I'll look through the blade book when I get home.

[vbpg]1307[/vbpg]
    [vbpg]1308[/vbpg]

6. eddelgado

eddelgado New Member

I did not think it would be that old. I actually got two of them. They are both in pretty good shape. The blades that they came with look as if they have not been used. Must have been sitting in someones attic for a long time.

I still wonder how they sharpened those blades. There must have been some kind of holder for them. Thanks for your pictures and info Bronco you are the first person that has been able to shed any light on this razor so far.

Ed

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Maybe something like this -
    [vbpg]1309[/vbpg]
    Description: Affilex
    Manufacturer:
    Type: Rollers-2
    Patent:
    Comment: Blade is moved back and forth using guide on end of roller that fits slot in holder. Note blade holder screw stops and square bottom.

There were a lot of styles like this during that time period.

8. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Hello Ed,

Welcome to the best shaving forum on the web!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was a Dandy brand of razor blades but I think they were double edge and a different company.

[​IMG]

I think the Dandy needed replacement blades and I doubt very much that you can find any in usable condition since they were last made nearly 100 years ago.

Richard

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for the info, Steve! :happy088

If you didn't already have a great custom title, I think we'd have to call you the reference section, or something less lame. :ashamed001

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

:o Thank you my Queen. :D

Thanks to Richard too! Sometimes if we all work our resources we can come up with an answer or two.

11. fritz

fritz New Member

I have seen some other brands like that which used a similar blade. Many of them would take a modern SE blade, you might try a GEM blade in it.

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

What a cool looking razor :)

13. riffin

riffin Active Member

Or a Kris Kross stropper. It can hold pretty much any kind of blade. You might be able bring the edge back with some diamond paste or something.

http://snipurl.com/21yzv [user_tninet_se]

I have a razor like this. I'm not sure if it's a Dandy brand or another. The blade in mine also looked pretty clean given it's age. The blade holder is too narrow to take a GEM. Also the closure over the back will not go over the spine of a GEM.

Goldtone made a GEM compatible SE blade that didn't have a spine, but it's still too wide.