Gillette Rocket Week

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by José Santos, Nov 26, 2020.

1. José Santos

José Santos Active Member

First of all, I want to blame you all for my RAD =D and thank you all for all I learned =)

Well in the last 7 days I was very very lucky =) but some news will only arrive for Xmas.

Last week I found a Rocket monobloc with some crooked doors, and today arrived a Gold Rocket that was stucked and needed to be crimped.

Hammer time for Monobloc! And solved =)

Well the gold one is an aluminum rocket, that thing is light! You can see that doors and the position bar are made from brass because the gold color is different. To solve the loose baseplate I used again a "cold weld", I wasn't sure I could crimp it again, aluminum looked fragile.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Vizamet, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

vey cool..:cool:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Some info on those razors. If the razor tray says Patent Pending they are 1950 - 1953. If the tray says Brit Pat 694 093 then 1954 - 1958.

The gold one unless it has the Brit Pat on it is not a Rocket per se if we go strictly by sets. It would be part of an Anniversary set sold sometime between 50 and 53 and the set number was No 52a. The left most one same deal if it is aluminum, if it is brass then depending the patent stamp will put it in a No 52a Anniversary set and/or No 54 Rocket set. That razor if it is a 54 or later could also have been in a No 59 set which was not a Rocket set.

The Monobloc though termed Rockets by collectors were never technically sold in a Rocket set. It is the same razor shave wise but not style or set nomenclature wise.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    José Santos and brit like this.
  4. José Santos

Wow thank you for all that info!

So the gold aluminium is indeed a patent pending model

[​IMG]

The other two are brit Pat 694093, both in brass.

Resuming: left is probably a Rocket or a 59 set, monobloc in the center and a 52a correct?

Shave wise the rocket is much more aggressive than the monobloc. The gold 52a, will try tomorrow, the cold weld finished drying today.

Thanks again BBS.

brit likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Gold one would have been in the 52a set. Monobloc, I don't know what set number they were sold in. The other one would most likely have been in a legit Rocket No 54 set.

José Santos likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

g1956ad.jpg

José Santos likes this.
  7. José Santos

Shaved today with the 52a ;)

Its a nice shaver, but my favorite is the monobloc. It's a funny feeling because I'm expecting a higher weight in my brain and it's light as plastic!