I'm a new wetshaver, which razor should I get? (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dridecker, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I'm a new wetshaver, which razor should I get?

That is a question that gets asked quite often around here, so to help out the new wetshaver I thought I would try to answer that question complete with pictures, that way you know what you are looking for.

Now one thing to remember is that none of this is set in stone, these are just recommendations that have been repeated time and time again (with a new one thrown in). I will break this into 3 posts with the vintage choices first, and the razors you can buy new in the second post, and finally some S/E's thrown in for good measure.

Here are the vintage razors, these can be found on eBay, or a better choice would be to pick one up from one of the fellow board members from the classified section.

First off, the Ball End Tech. These are nice, mild shavers that are great to help you get your technique down pat.
    [​IMG]

Here is the popular Fat Handled Tech, it shaves the same as the Ball Handle model.
    [​IMG]

Here is an early model Super Speed. These are more aggressive than the Techs, but can still be a great choice for the new wetshaver.
    [​IMG]

This is a venerable Flare Tip Super Speed, these are milder than the earlier Super Speeds.
    [​IMG]

The Krona D/E, Schick's alternative to the Super Speeds. The Krona had nice long handles, gave great shaves, and they can still be had pretty cheaply. As pictured there was 2 handle styles, with stampings on the silo doors that may say Schick, Krona, Schick and Krona, or sometimes no stampings at all.
    [​IMG]

Enrico, Angelo85, brit and 8 others like this.
  2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Wanna buy new?

Now we move on to the modern razors, those that you can pick up brand new. I recommend that if you want to purchase one of these that you do so from one of the fine vendors that are active here on TSD.

First up the Mekurs from Germany. I have no Merkur HD in my collection, so I borrowed this picture off of the web. The ever popular Merkur HD can be had in several finishes, and can have different model numbers for the same razor (34c and 178), it can be bit confusing.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Merkur Long Handle Classic, also known by model numbers 23C and 180. This was the model I used when I switched back from cartridge razors, and it would be a good choice for those that like longer handles.
    [​IMG]

A new addition here....

I would be remiss if I didn't add in the new Edwin Jagger/Muhle razors here, they have really turned out to be some fantastic shavers. You can get them in several different handle designs, but it is the head that makes them great. Look for the Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle R106.

[​IMG]

The Chinese connection....

Here we have the Weishi from China, a nice mild razor that comes in several finishes, and usually will include a travel case and cleaning brush. The one caveat with the Weishi is that as of late, there seems to be some reports of Q/C problems, so make sure you buy it from a reputable vendor who will take care of any problems that may arise.

Update: Aaron and Justin have brought to my attention that this razor can also be found under the Timor name.

[​IMG]

Next up from China again, and a new recommendation from me, is the slightly more aggressive Ming Shi. Aggressiveness is about on par with an early Super Speed, and like the Weishi it includes a travel case, but no cleaning brush. Same caution as to vendor choice applies here also.
    [​IMG]

I do have to add here, that you can find new modern interpretations of the Ball Handle Tech listed above in the first post, look for Lord Tech razors or Feather Portable razors(Has become hard to come by) . I personally haven't tried the Feather portable myself, but a review of the Lord Tech can be found here.

A Lord Tech Clone
    [​IMG]

Lord LP1822L AKA The Lord L6

Wow, this Lord razor has really shined in my recent test, the head has a design very similar to a Merkur razor, and shaves very similar too. Can be had for @ $10.00, is well worth the money, and I really can't say enough good things about it.
    [​IMG]

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

What if I want an S/E?

Now for those of you that have heard or read about S/E (Single Edge) razor, here are a couple that I think would be great choices to get you started in the world of S/E's. A big plus for S/E's is they can be found very cheap, unfortunately blade choice is limited for these, but they do shave great. The same info about buying vintage razors applies as in the first post above.

The ever popular 1912 model Gem.
    [​IMG]

Here we have the more modern G-Bar.
    [​IMG]

So there you have it, my recommendations for the new wetshavers first razor. As I said before, none of this is set in stone, the choice of what you want to shave with is all yours.

If you want to add suggestions to this thread, please feel free, but I do ask that you include a picture so that we can help our new members visualize what they are looking for.

Enrico, brit, jimjo1031 and 8 others like this.
  4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

This is in serious need of a sticky!

BeShaved and Daytonkb like this.
  5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    It's going in the Master Sticky post in Shave School.

BeShaved likes this.
  6. faceslice

faceslice New Member

razors

hi dridecker
    nice thread .
    pics are great ,i have a 1912 gem and its a great to use .
    i have a flair tip and thats good too.
    fs;)

BeShaved likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Way to go, Bill!! :happy088:happy088:happy088:happy088:happy088

BeShaved likes this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Bill, what you forgot about these razors, I don't know that I can learn, my brother. The only thing I must to say, at least from my own personal experience, is the Ming Shi is so gentle, that is even more than a Super Speed. I have NEVER made cuts or even a small weeper to my face with it. I think is almost perhaps too gentle at times to do a close and BBS shave with a Ming Shi, unless I make at least 4 passes with it. With my Super Speed, after only 2 passes, I am finished, and very, very smoothly-shaved! :)

BeShaved likes this.
  9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Edited the first post. :think002 I don't know how I did it, but I some how forgot to include the Krona in the vintage section.

BeShaved likes this.
  10. Snakewall

Snakewall New Member

very nice tips. i think i will try a weishi razor because of my budget. that way i can also get a brush and some soap.

EnglishChannel and BeShaved like this.
  11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Just wanted to point out I added the EJ/Muhle twins to the list, and to let Aaron know I used his picture. If that's a problem Aaron, just let me know.

BeShaved likes this.
  12. Antanque

Antanque New Member

Excellent! Thank you for this advice! :)

13. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

er, maybe we should update it?

There's Timor, Sabi and some others out there now.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good on you for including the Krona...relatively cheap price, good quality, big, grippy handle and a somewhat mild but efficient head is a winner for a beginner.

15. d2mini

d2mini New Member

How does the Muhle R89 compare to the EJ/Muhle posted above?

16. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well, the Timor is the same as the Weishi. It is the same razor with a different brand label.

Yes, there are many other types of razors, Yuma, Sabi, etc.... However, I took the purpose of the thread is to narrow down the focus to the tried and true that most of us would say would be a good suggestion for a new user.

17. Antanque

Antanque New Member

Just ordered a Weishi on ebay after reading this! Quite excited now! :D

18. ubermick

ubermick Member

Well, thanks to this thread, I just ordered up an Edwin Jagger DE89BL. Thought about the vintage razors, which can frankly be had for cheap on ebay, but at $28.50 with free shipping through Amazon for a brand new DE, I'm happy to spend the extra couple of dollars for a brand new one, that seems to have gotten plenty of great feedback.

BeShaved likes this.
  19. tobester76

tobester76 New Member

I'm a fairly recent convert to Wet Shaving, and after a lot of deliberation went for the Merkur Futur. It does have some drawbacks (blade changing is a bit fiddly) but I'm really happy with it as my first DE. The weight is nice and the adjustable blade settings really helped me get a feel for what wet shaving should feel like.

BeShaved and David Green like this.
  20. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think a couple more low budget great shavers would hurt the list. :cool:

As far as the Timor/Weishi thing, the Timor's seem to be a little bit cheaper.

BeShaved likes this.