Personna blades...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sledge, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Well, ive been doing a bit of research into the different blade possibilities for me lately, as many of you know... one thing i wanted to find out, is what the group here thinks about the red pack personnas... i think i remember them being referred to as "israeli personnas" but im not sure if these are the same thing...

i tried these on my head, and it was my first time shaving my head with a DE, so i didnt think too much about it until recently... i just figured my head may have been more leathery than my face, and thus, providing a smoother shave... that was until i tried a derby in the same razor at the same setting... WOW that was an experience :( anyways, so i decided to try one on my face... and for the last few days, ive been pleasantly suprised to find that they offer a relatively close shave in comparison with most blades, and to be quite frank it almost feels like there is no blade in my razor at all while im shaving... the result is a BBS shave with such little irritation that my A/S burns less than it did with a mach 3... which provided me with the least irritating shave of everything i tried between it, and my DE blades...

the end result was pretty satisfying, so i wanted to ask if anyone else here favors these blades, and of course, where to buy them and how much the average joe ends up paying for them in bulk of about 100 blades...

2. JMS

JMS New Member

I can't answer your question as I only use a straight razor, but the shave you describe sounds exactly like what I experience consistently with a straight!

3. Sledge

Sledge New Member

... lol

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have had a lot of good experience with the Isreali Personnas. I tink that they are wonderful blades. I would recommend West Coast Saving's Sampler Pack as well as a sampler pack from Razor and Brush.

5. Sledge

Sledge New Member

i have a few samplers... i got everything from treets to feathers, IPs to sputniks... so far, the IPs are my best bet... if all goes well, i might be posting up my little sampler (which must have at least 50 blades in it) minus the feathers in the FOR SALE section here... it would be an excellent way for a newbie to get a sampler of 2 or 3 blades each brand (minimum, i know i have like 3 boxes of merkur blades) of such a wide variety... crystals, derbys, treet carbon, treet stainless, merkur, sputnik, 7am, and i think even a few more.

6. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

The Isreali Persona's aka Crystal's are my favorites blades. I bought a pack of 100 from West Coast Shaving.

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

How many different brands have you tried James? I am up to thirty brands each are different. I agreee the personnas a re good, I just would not call them real good.

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Note he is asking about the Red package Personnas.
    They are sometimes available from a gal on *bay, didn't see any this morning.
    I found them OK but didn't like them as well as Crystals. As always YMMV! :D

9. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I have tried all of the blades in the West Coast Sample pack.

I'm by no means a shave master but found they are pretty forgiving and work for me.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. Just stating my opinion of the blades...

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

You didn't, I was just adding a note that he was looking for info on the
    the reds. Did I sound snotty? ;)
    Good choice on trying the sampler!

11. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Nah, I just hadn't had enough coffee up to that point this morning and read more into things than I should have:signs081...

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

The Israeli Persona Super + Double Edged Razor Blades are the ones I use. Either these, the Derby or Feather blades are rotated constantly when I'm not blade testing.

You can get blades here

13. Sledge

Sledge New Member

well QHS, i do thank you for the link, but it appears they only have like 2 or 3 blade brands, none of which are the red pack personnas, and even if they were, their minimum order is something like 3000 - 5000 blades lol which is fine and dandy, but not only is that about 300 - 500 bucks per order, and thats only if they are 10 cents a blade, but that would also be about 50 years worth of blades.... not quite sure im ready for that kind of committment (O_O) lol

so, i heard a few people say that IPs are "AKA" Crystals... is that true? if so, what are the red pack personnas?

14. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

If you click through you can find the section where you can buy the blades at 100 blades per order for like.. 20 bucks or something.

15. Sledge

Sledge New Member

yeah but i cant find any red pack personnas :(

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Sorry about no Red Pack Personas. The Super + Perrsonas are the ones usually referred to as the blade of choice in a lot of threads.

17. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Thanks for the site Rich. If Derby's survive my blade wars I'll pick up some from this location.

18. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Here is a picture of the Crystal I'm currently using... It's exactly the same thing that QHSDoitall linked to, down to the Patent number.

I don't know if they're like the red pack. A user on a different board meant to buy Crystal's but accidently bought the Red packs and said he couldn't tell a difference.

Attached Files:

19. Sledge

Sledge New Member

i can tell a difference lol ive gone through about 3 blades, and i remember crystals, and those things were rather harsh in comparison with the red packs im using.... not sure if this may be a trait of this one pack i have, or what, but i know these are the smoothest most comfortable blades ive ever shaved with in my DE... and i still get BBS smooth shaves! i think the closest ive came to these are the merkur blades... but these definitely beat out the merkurs in lack of harshness, and actual closeness of the shave..

20. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

These so called Crystals were known up to a few months ago as the Israeli Personnas. They come in a white package with blue dots. These are still my blade of choice when I need to touch up a shave. I have about 180 left so I think they will last me for a long time.

Can someone clarify when they change name and why??

The red package personnas came in a box that said made in Israel but the actual blade did not had the same written on it like the IP did. There has been much debate about which one is the real Israeli Personnas. As far as I'm concern the IP's I have been using are the originals but that is just my opinion. But I guess the debate still continues...

Raf