Retirement Homes

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Jun 14, 2020.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just curious to hear from everyone, who has picked out their retirement homes, property, or areas they intend to retire.
    The wife and I decided to purchase a .56 acre lot, in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas, the newer section. We couldnt pass on the price, because the sellers were desperate to sell. We have about 4 years to think about clearing the lot, then start building our house, before I retire. My wife's relatives live in the older section of the village. The Houston area is just not where we want to be. If we change our minds, on this location, we can easily sell it for 9-10 times what we paid, once the economy swings back up.
    Me, I would prefer 50-60 acres in the country, by some mountains. But, I want the wife to be happy too.

brit, Keithmax, speedster and 3 others like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Already retired but I'll move to Danang, Vietnam when my daughter leaves home. Current thinking anyway, 5 years off. I'd like to be near the ocean again. Except during typhoon season of course.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

3. DaltonGang

Wow, I just looked at the average Highs and Humidity there. You must be "Dinky Dau". :happy102:

Keithmax, jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well I lived in Cambodia for ten years so kinda used to it. It you live close enough to the ocean, especially in a high rise, you'll get a nice cooling breeze. But yeah daytime naps required.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  5. DaltonGang

Looks like a resort now. Beautiful.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Edison Carter likes this.
  7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

No official plans yet but we’ve discussed northern lower Michigan.
    The winters are better than what you get where we’re at and the summer heat isn’t as bad.
    The key will be choosing a location close enough to activities while avoiding the tourists.

Enrico, brit, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  8. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I plan on staying where I'm at. The mortgage is only $646 and it's doubled in value.

Enrico, brit, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  9. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I was fortunate enough to be able to retire in my 30's, but remained in the city until recently moving upstate to the country [90 min away from where I was] and I love it.

Cleared a spot on our 6 acres in the woods for a nice ranch. Paid cash--no pesky mortgage, so here we shall reside for the remainder of our lives...Which should be quite a while being that I am just shy of 50.[​IMG]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

battle.munky, brit, CrustyCat and 2 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Very nice. Upstate where?? I would like more land too, but I had to make the wife happy first, and get he something she likes.

Keithmax likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

happy with the one i am in..:D

12. J_Man

Ct right on the Mass border

13. DaltonGang

Beautiful part of the country. :happy088:

J_Man and jmudrick like this.
  14. J_Man

There are definitely some beautiful [and rural] areas in New England, but the winters here can be quite unpleasant.

Keithmax likes this.
  15. Moved back from California in 2006 to watch over parents in Ohio where my wife and I grew up, . Only one parent left now but think this is the forever home. My wife has threatened me since we have had 15 homes in the last 45 years. Next move, she tells me, will be in a box......

Keithmax, DaltonGang and brit like this.
  16. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

Can’t afford to move from where I’m at. I’m ok here and kids are all over the country. I’m looking out for my wife and myself as kids are no help. When we do pass to the hereafter kids and grandchildren think they will inherit stuff........surprise surprise.

Keithmax, brit and "Knothead" Tim like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

in the same mindframe.i had to work hard to earn it,so will they..

Xring3 likes this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

And now, batting third....first baseman...DIIIINNKEEE DAUUUUUUU!"

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Keeping my apartment in Seoul, enjoy the convent big city life and four seasons. Also have a vacation place in Phuket Thailand when I need to escape the winter. Wife and I are discussing a place in the mountains, I prefer the north east of Korea but she prefers the mountains outside of Cebu Philippines.

brit, Paul Turner and jmudrick like this.
  20. whaap

whaap Active Member

My wife and I retired in 1989 and have had several different addresses since then. However, owning our own home, which we have always done, has never meant freedom of responsibilities and the work that goes along with those responsibilities. A little over a year ago we moved into a retirement home here in Tucson named Villa Hermosa. To me this is retirement living with no responsibilities which is great. We can be as active or inactive as we please. We enjoy a wonderful dining room run by a 5 star chef. We have an assortment of craft and other activities that we can choose from if we want. The freedom to come and go, be as active or inactive as you want with there being no consequence is quite a nice luxury.