Rockwell Model T

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sabre, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

What makes you think it's made in America? I haven't seen anything that would indicate that. AS a matter of fact, the label on the box of the Rockwell 6s says "Made in China". If you believe that by buying Rockwell Razors you're buying American or even Canadian, you've been snookered. They're Chinese just like the Parthenon and the Crusader.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Frijolero and DesertTime like this.
  2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

it will be 3rd when it release because we already have a 2nd TTO adjustable on the market https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B2R5SBW/?tag=thshde-20 and if the Janus 316L Toggle releases before them https://twitter.com/JanusRazors then it will be the 4th one official, I doubt the latter will be the case

These first 2 TTO's are working on introducing lathering channels to their bottom plates and once those versions are released I will be purchasing both, but wont even dare to think getting the Model T considering is already 40-50% made of zinc at price tag of $200, the other 2 razors only the bottom plate of the head ( blade holder is what they call it) is zinc, the rest of the parts are brass.

Rockwell will lose on this design and probably they will retire it down the road if it don't sell. Now if they reintroduce Model T via mixed process of MIM and CNC 316L for $200 price tag, that is something I would be very interested in

DesertTime likes this.
  3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

The Model T is not yet officially released or commercially available. They're still filling backer's orders, though oddly, not one backer on either Go or KS has acknowledged receiving one yet, nor has anyone on the various forums. Nor has anyone seen all the "rave reviews pouring in" to Rockwell.

Since the Viking is now available, too, that makes two TTO adjustable razors beating the Model T to market. By time Rockwell releases theirs, maybe Gillette will have a new, modern Fatboy on the market. If they start working on it today, they could probably beat Rockwell to market, as well.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

At that price you can get a Gillette toggle still if you find the right seller and get one cheaper than a Rex Ambassador. Not that I am knocking these new razors but the quality and craftsmanship is nowhere near a Gillette Toggle even if they are good shavers. No matter how you shake a stick at the designs all come down to blade angle, stiffness, gap and exposure. All the other stuff is how many different ways can we accomplish it.

5. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

I think it's time to stick a fork in the Model T. It's dead. I couldn't resist and I bought a Crusader from Amazon for $37 this week. (I also have a Parthenon)The Crusader is truly beautiful razor and it gives a GREAT shave. I went back to wet shaving eight years ago and this is the best razor I've ever experienced. It was what I was expecting the Model T to be. I have more than a few adjustable, tto's ,slants and three piece razors from the various manufacturers, Gillette Fat Boy and Slim, Gillette Ambassador, Gillette Red Tip, Gillette open comb Red and Black, Merkur, Mergress, Qshave, Parthenon, Pearl, Ikon, Jagger, Parker, Maggard, etc. The Crusader is my current favorite. I like it even better than my previous favorite, the Gillette Red Tip Super Speed. There's no way the Model T can match the Crusader. Rockwell may eventually produce their razor and it could be a very good razor. They'll give it to last last few die hard collectors who haven't demanded a refund but there's no sense going into full production and trying to sell an inferior razor for $200. No one will buy it. It's time to cut their losses.

Holy Crap! I just took a look at the list of razors I own. I didn't even mention the multiples(5 Gillette slims alone) I have. I need an intervention.

DesertTime likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Rockwell has many times indicated the 6S is a domestic production, the 6C Chinese. The made in China on 6S was according to them a packaging error.

7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

how are things regarding lather clogging the Parthenon and Crusader? They both don't have lather holes, its the only reason I steered away from purchasing them

8. DesertTime

The last I read, Parthenon engineers acknowledged the problem and were looking at a fix. They seem to be very responsive and forthcoming, no spin or BS.

9. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

I haven't noticed a problem with the Crusader but I've only shaved with it three times. It's possible that I've ignored it because I like the razor so much but I don't think so. I do have a habit of cleaning the soap off while I shave though.

blashe and DesertTime like this.
  10. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

So I can't believe what they had printed on the package, eh? What else can't I believe from Rockwell?

DesertTime likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Up to you pal.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I too am waiting on the Model T. While waiting, I purchased a Parthenon. What’s you opinion between the Parthenon and the Crusader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

I like them both. They both shave well. I prefer the Crusader because the Parthenon is a little aggressive for my tastes. I thought it might be the Feather razor blades Parthenon gave me but I switched to my old favorite Gillette Super Blues and it didn't make much of a difference. The Parthenon has a numbered dial which allows you to accurately set the gap. The Crusader doesn't have numbered markings but I found one quarter turn was perfect for me. I also found that the setting didn't have to be that exact, close was good enough.

PLANofMAN and Str8on2 like this.
  14. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I did the same with the Parthenon. Went with my go-to PermaSharp and still felt too much blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

The funny part is the Crusader is the one with the warning "For experienced users only". I found it to be much more forgiving.

16. DesertTime

To me, the Parthenon seems very similar to a Futur, which also is aggressive. If you keep to a setting under 3, it's very decent. The QShave engineers likely borrowed a lot from their Futur clone, especially in the gap adjustment area and head design.

Jim Bennett likes this.
  17. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I laughed when I read that quote, all the reviews played along, people were acting like they deserved a medal for risking life and limb to shave with such a aggressive technical razor. In fact read most reviews for safety razor products and its quite funny, there is always, regardless of brand, multiple people saying "its a great for beginners but once you get some experience you will want to switch to a feather and r41", most of the rest of the reviews mostly focus on the reviewers switch to classic shaving and how evil modern gillette is, and have little to do with the actual product, then follow it with someone who thinks everyone is crazy because they tried to use a safety razor like a cart razor, and cant understand the praise the product is getting. I dont even read reviews anymore lol

oldjoe and stuartganis like this.
  18. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I got a Parthenon adjustable and basically find it about as pleasing to shave with as a sharpened axe head! Yesterday I received my long awaited Rockwell Model T and I have 2 shaves under my belt and for both I used the Rockwell blade that I really don't like or like it about the same as a Merkur razor blade. Shows how YMMV really means something as the fit and finish of the model T I received is as good as it gets and the opening and adjusting is as smooth as can be. The razor I received is stunning IMHO! Much smoother than any of the Gillette adjustables I own. I think the wait was indeed worth while and Rockwell delivered a superior product, at least to me they did! The razor is well balanced, easy to shave with(even with a Rockwell razor blade) and the adjustment actually goes from mild to aggressive unlike the Parthenon razor which is simply Aggressive and course to start with and rediculously harsh at the upper end. Way, way too much blade exposure at any setting for me. And possibly YMMV. I am not a Rockwell fan boy but the razor I received is nothing like what the reviewer with the bald head had to say about the model T on u-tube.

19. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Music to my ears, I'm expecting mine soon, I hope.

DesertTime likes this.
  20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Glad you like it, but there is another reviewer on their KS page who has been wet shaving for years and he cut himself bunch of times with the Model T. Once we see lots of reviews then we can judge it. To be honest even if it gets perfect reviews I would never pull the trigger on a $200 razor of mixed metals where zinc is at the 40% mark.

EDIT: You mind posting some pictures so we can all see how it looks like?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    PLANofMAN, DesertTime and stuartganis like this.