Tutorial Shave Sticking it: DIY Shave Sticks and other stickisms

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by PLANofMAN, Jun 17, 2012.

1. PaPa K

PaPa K Active Member

Great write up. I was considering my option for lathering up as I travel frequently and wasn't sure how I wanted to go. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Sara-s and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Great write up. Lots of information. Nice job. I have some Williams soap but it's not for. Me. I am going to try some Amish meadowsweet goats milk soap and see how it works. Sometimes I like using a soap stick.. Thanks for the write up, I just found out how much work goes into one.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I converted my TOBS Lavender to a stick form to finish it off. I just started my fourth week with it. I am doing the use it until it is gone approach right now and enjoying the TOBS. I just rub it on my face and start lathering. My JR#18 silvertip is an awesome brush for this purpose.
    sod160526.jpg

Carbide Mike and George X like this.
  4. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

That,is some razor,you got there

Robyflexx and Jayaruh like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I had some Arko that was pressed into a mug that wasn't getting much use. The mug was taking up counter space. I recently finished a deodorant container and cleaned it out and saved it for the purposes outlined in this thread. I rehydrated the Arko and pressed it into the container. I printed a label, taped it on, and we have a homemade shave stick!

IMG_0613.JPG

It took all of about five minutes to do. I'm going to save my deodorant containers from now on and do this more often!

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zVERYCOOL.png

Carbide Mike and PLAla like this.
  7. Str8Edge

Str8Edge Active Member

Anybody know of any US stores that sell Arko...or is it pretty much online?

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I found it in a local Turkish Farmer's Market.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. Str8Edge

Str8Edge Active Member

Don't see me running into any Turkish FM here in San Diego. Might be one in LA, but I don't visit LA due to traffic. Actually, can't say I've seen a Turkish market since Iraq.
    But I will keep my eyes open.

Thanks for the info

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Shave Den Shop has it

[​IMG]

11. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I think WCS sells shave stick holders( plastic ones) for about $2.50

12. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

And thanks plan of man... I’m going to check out “Mamabear’s” Shave Sticks

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

PoM, the world needs a good book on wet-shaving, and you're the guy who should write it. Check out Amazon's self-publishing.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think I'd do better with a blog, and for now and the foreseeable future, this forum is the main place I contribute. Besides, there are good books on wet shaving already.

Leisureguy's book is good, and is a great resource for someone starting out in this hobby.

Carson West, PanChango and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

great book,read mine twice and always check it for reference.you would make a fine blog Ryan,or book,love your contributions here..:)..

PLANofMAN and Carson West like this.
  16. Carson West

Well we're grateful for your blog PoM, and thank you for it. Where can I find Leisureguy's book? I don't see it on Amazon. Does he use the pen-name "Leisureguy"?

brit likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw02khqpbSK_P-E8Z3eYkDtc

Not really. His name is Michael Ham. His forum/blog tag is Leisureguy.

The book is on the short side, more of a primer than an in-depth look. Experienced wet shavers will find it a bit on the basic side. It's written for someone just learning to wet shave.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    brit likes this.
  18. Carson West

brit and PLANofMAN like this.