Some soaps you won't buy again?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Sep 3, 2015.

1. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

There is already enough fluff threads. Idea is to put out constructive feedback on which soaps won't be repeated and hopefully save someone some cash.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and MntnMan62 like this.
  2. drnausheerp

drnausheerp Active Member

May I ask what this is about ?

3. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I'll second that question.

4. jaxstraww

Search on Reddit. They blackballed him.

Short story is years ago he was fluffing his own reviews. Some other stuff I forget as well.

For me that shit is so old and has nothing to do with the business today. Starling v1 was a mess but he took all of them back with fast refunds. I can look past some bad plays. Frankly, he fluffed his own stuff and I'm sure that there are other review fluffs being done as well. Shit, they call out half the youtubers as pushing their friends stuff.

5. MntnMan62

I see what you mean. I only own a Crown King Travel Scuttle, which is a PAA product I believe. I haven't tried their software but have a sample of his Atmotic Shaving Soap. The scent smells very much like women's facial makeup to me so not one that I will likely be purchasing. His soaps and creams haven't made it to my "wish list" yet. If his misbehavior was a long time ago, maybe he's learned his lesson. But some of the stuff attributed to him is pretty bad. I won't go into it because people can look it up if they are at all interested. All I know is I'm happy with my travel scuttle.

6. jaxstraww

That's the right idea.

I haven't tried his newer base that is supposed to be excellent.

His original base as well as his AS/Cologne hybrids do not work with me at all. It happens.

I'm just not jumping into the whole I'll never buy again. Just not that deep. Its soap and fragranced alcohol. Saying that, if it runs you dont by it either. But if I boycotted every company that had a shady practice or two I wouldn't be able to have a cell phone provider.

MntnMan62 and Frijolero like this.
  7. MntnMan62

Same goes for airlines. If I boycotted every airline that messed me up or did something I truly don't believe in, I would be relegated to driving to Italy from New Jersey.

8. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

DR Harris
    TOBS Sandalwood

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Whoooaaaa big old Chevy Ma-libu.......don't carry me to far a-WAY (Steve Miller)

wristwatchb and MntnMan62 like this.
  10. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Good Stuff here, thanks for sharing. Definitely w/ you on Cz&S. Surprised SV and Catie's made your list though. I don't care for SV's sizing or quality of their tins, but find soap lathers well. My Catie's experience is limited to WCS's Oriental Cream which I believe Catie's supplied, find no fault with it other and I prefer soaps to creams, ordered it by accident.

Primotenore likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    MWF
    Tabac
    Mike's
    These three for sure.

Yehuda D likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    C&S because of the price. (Great soap)
    SV, because I couldn't get a decent lather.
    Catie's, because the soaps dry my skin.
    TR, because of the price.
    Dusy, because it dries.
    MdC, price/drying.
    Krampert's, burns my skin.
    DR Harris, not good enough.
    Chatillon Lux, MIGHT repurchase...had a great shave today with the lavender.
    Mystic Water, again might re-purchase, but I have so darn much, I probably won't get around to it.
    Salter, meh.
    PAA, nope.
    Simpson, too pricey, hate the mini tins.
    Castle Forbes, really good soap, too pricey.
    Fine, ok soap, not good enough for a re-purchase.
    Arko, stinky.
    Brutalt Bra, again, not bad, but too pricey and the skinny tins are a rip-off.
    Myrsol, no. Granules in my soap.
    Meißner-Tremonia, weird scents and pricey.
    RazoRock, with the exception of XXX, soaps are no longer on my radar.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Williams (for me it’s lousy)
    MWF (it hates my skin)
    L’Occitane ( too drying for me)
    Razorock Mudder Focker (no skincare)
    Boots stick or bowl (cheap garbage)
    Proraso Green
    TFS Sottozero (not bad, just not for me)
    Lea stick (good lather, no skincare)

14. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Tobs jeremyn st. (Scent is nice but soap sucks... same goes for sandalwood)
    B&M Seville & Le Grand Chypre
    WK LA FOUGERE PARFAIT(apparently smells like vintage old spice but for me it smells like old man baby powder)
    Henry & Victoria Cognac and Cuban cigars- scent is pleasant and performance is ok but it is not something that you get excited to use and just sits in the den
    T+S Merry LE & Sicily - I doubt they will ever release it again but it’s not a scent I get excited to use
    Declaration Grooming Y/R/P- scent is too much rose and drowns out the others. Base is awesome and performs very well so it’s a keeper.
    A&E Summer Fig- would love it if the scent was stronger anything from A&E is top notch but I wouldn’t replace this one
    Castle Forbes- I hate it, would over load and lather would thin out too quickly. Performance was not there for me. Difficult to dial in and use. Would most certainly never pay the premium for this soap again. Hated it so much I gave it away.

These are just my own personal experiences and not to be taken to any offenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk