SoS: July 4, 2016 - July 10, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jul 3, 2016.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

Llyr, celestino, ram57 and 10 others like this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Considering @NCoxSTL's willingness to try shaving with anything that remotely calls itself a razor or blade and @DDuckyMark's affinity for similar behavior, I don't know how you could have made such an underestimation. :eek:

Basically, there are a lot of believers in TTT here... you just lowered the definition of "tool".

PickledNorthern, Llyr, ram57 and 7 others like this.
  3. mrchick

Nope, we are all "tools"

PickledNorthern, Llyr, ram57 and 5 others like this.
  4. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you used the knick relief.....................

Llyr, ob1page, Douglas Carey and 2 others like this.
  5. mrchick

Actually no. One small weeper that stopped with cold water and alum. It was a surprisingly uneventful shave.

6. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Rob, I tried Tapatalk again, but I don`t think it went through. If by chance it worked, there should be 2 pic of the Hibco slightly opened.

Bill

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I prefer "razor like object".

8. old-school shaver

old-school shaver Well-Known Member

7/5/16/ SOTD:shaver

coldwatershave_zps4f31sl2s.gif
    Today's shave was a very nice close smooth shave. Had to stop and do a little damage control just after getting started. Seems that I had my razor back a little to far and on the first swipe of the first pass I caught the front of my ear had lots of blood running down the side of my face.:shocked003: But all and all it was a great shave. 3 pass shave finished smooth and refreshed.
    IMG_20160705_125448.jpg

Strop- Vintage broke in Pike Manufacturing Horse Shell Leather and Canvas.
    Razor- Geo. Rodgers Sheffield Near Wedge.
    Brush- Vintage Made Rite L1500 Pure Badger.
    Lather- Ogallala Bay Rum Lime and Peppercorn Soap.
    Post- OSMA alum block followed by Ogallala Genuine Bay Rum Lime and Peppercorn Aftershave.

I'm smooth and refreshed have a great day everyone.

Ken P.

Roderick, Llyr, 120inna55 and 18 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

In the Good Old Shavertime!!

July 5

Razor - Fudge/Banana Bomb Pop
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum - and another bomb pop to celebrate.

It's CINCO DE JULIO!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the newest holiday on the calendar and one that we hope will grow in scope and participation!! Ok, so maybe not so much that but hey, I worked on the 4th, so this is as good as it gets for me. You gotta go with what you get, y'know?

So, one of our newer members, @BearCWY posted a video of some dude called the "StuntShaver" or something like that performing a shave with a blade and two popsicle sticks. He then claimed he didn't think anyone here would take it seriously. He's been around here a couple of months.......has he not been paying attention?!?! @Drygulch (otherwise known as "I dare you") then throws out the gauntlet....who's in? Well, you know this crew. So here comes my entry. Nice to see three others who have survived, and to read things like Adam posted about 9 weepers, a couple of nicks and all of that....and still call it a "decent DFS" or something like that. You have to wonder about our standards.

So, head shave first today, then shower then it's time to face off with the Bomb Pop Razor. I chose Arko because I know I can get it uber-slick. And I did. Keep it wet, face lather it like it's your worst enemy (then clean up the lather from the walls, ceiling, etc.) and shave.

First pass with this thing was a bit tricky to start. Couldn't see the blade at all past my hand. Hmmmmm. Have a similar problem with any straight/pain stick but not this bad. Stick is too short to angle up or down. So, went with a diagonal pass to start. Treated it like a pain stick and went parallel then gradually added angle until it started cutting. I picked up on the visual of the lather just going over the edge of the blade and that seemed to be where I got the best performance. It took a long time to get that first pass, and was able to go N/S after the diagonal start. Left hand worked well and, as Adam has said, the lack of weight on the blade did add a bit of difficulty. Had to add just enough pressure to get it to work right. The blade didn't flex like I thought it might, though.

Hit the Arko again and went XTG but didn't get crazy with it. I was getting a good reduction and after the XTG I could have stopped with a CCS. Neck was still a problem so I decided an ATG neck cleanup was in order. Now, that gets trickly. Hard to set the angle without just cutting your throat! Kept stretching skin and adusting angle until I got it, with only one small nick to pay for it. Managed to go ATG on the neck and had a truly, truly crazy thought. Gillette Slide? Hmmmmmmm. I had a near DFS. So.....yeah, even I'm not that crazy. One slight change in angle on a slide and you're reading an entirely different report here. Most likely written by medical personnel or just my wife telling you how I'm an idiot.

So, success!!! Technique is the key to shaving boys, girls, and all the ships at sea. Perfect your technique and you should be able to adapt almost anything to shave with. And, for those who keep asking if we're just nuts or something? Why, we're the Steely Eyed Razor Men....all courage and no brains. I mean, all courage and really, really smart too. Trust me! I'm in sales. Have a great Tuesday and grab a Taco for Cinco de Julio!!
    [​IMG]

10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Another outing with the Nordic Beauty today. I refreshed the blade but I think I need to learn how to hone so I can have some others to choose from. A solid DFS with BBS in places. Once again the Haslinger's was phenomenal. :git: If you haven't tried this soap you are missing out.

AOS Lavender PSO
    Haslinger Aloe Vera Shave Soap
    Savile Row 3824
    C.V. Heljestrand
    C.V. Heljestrand (1) 20 laps after
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

Heljestrand AOS HASAV SR AOS.JPG

Happy shaving everyone - Karl

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A really great shave this morning with the OC version of the Rocnel SE razor

[​IMG]

12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Great photo :eatdrink047:

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great shot and setup Don.

ObiDon, Robyflexx and clint64 like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent clean picture of great products Mark. :happy096:

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent setup Bob.

Robyflexx and clint64 like this.
  16. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks amigo!

clint64, Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  19. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Hey Bill, when sending PM make sure to hit small " Forum PM" button, otherwise it will send via Tapatalks messaging service and the recipient will only get it if they use Tapatalk. The button can be seen at the top of this screenshot in orange letters
    [​IMG]

20. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Bunny Round 4 (round 3 was yesterday, just didn't post about it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Bunny V3 mild comb, Chick blade (4)
    Vie Long Horse Hair
    Viking Soap Opium Den (vegan edition)

Had an excellent 3 pass shave for my 4th go around with the Bunny. WTG, then XTG in both directions and only WTG on the neck. It was a DFS for sure with no irritation. Alum was silent for over a small mole that I mowed over. It was the first bunny shave where the chin and jaw were not irritated, still not very close there but I call this a win. I think what I have the biggest trouble with the Bunny is maintaining the proper angle while shaving the chin in a EtoW or WtoE manner or the jawline with vertical strokes. But for this shave I finally got the hang of it. I'll be able to speak more on pros and cons after a couple more shaves.

This Viking Soap is continuing to impress me in terms of performance. Very slick and yogurt lather. The only negative i can think of is that it could use a stronger scent, but that is personal preference