Success with the neck!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Joe Rouse, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Joe Rouse

Joe Rouse Well-Known Member

After several frustrating months of trial and error I finally had a breakthrough today with shaving my neck.

I had studied my hair growth on my neck. I am fortunate that it is the same pattern on both sides, diagonal and down from my chin. I didn’t try shaving WTG because I was concerned I might slip up (some of my worst cuts occurred on my neck when I first started). I was trying all sorts of techniques and I was missing a lot of spots. I watched lots of videos and I saw everyone would shave straight down from their jaw line and then shave back straight up. I tried that and still wasn’t getting it. I would hit areas multiple times to get it. Every time I ran the alum block I had a lot of zings. I have always had these little bumps on my neck which feel like they might be stubble. As I began to realize those spots probably weren’t stubble I backed off on working so much on my neck. The zinging from the alum was much less. But I still could tell that there were spots I was missing.

Today I decided to just go back to basics and try WTG and XTG. I went slow and careful. And wouldn’t you know it, I got what I was looking for. Not BBS but close to it. I concluded that I still have some spots that will require me to go ATG. But overall it was a much better experience. I also did something else different today and applied preshave oil again between the first and second pass. That may have helped too but I feel it was more the technique changes that made the difference.

BTW, the SOTD was a King C Gillette with their blade, and Proraso Red.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Hembree, Thashavecave, Hogie and 11 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    When I finally accepted the fact that there were areas on my neck I couldn't completely clear of stubble, without risking irritation, my shaves became 1000% more enjoyable. Congratulations, Joe.

Hembree, StewB, Thashavecave and 9 others like this.
  3. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Primotenore, Hembree and dvdhviid like this.
  4. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

Waht is your WTG ATG? down up? on my neck that is centro to side and then side to center.

Hembree, Paul Turner and jgreenepa like this.
  5. Joe Rouse

Joe Rouse Well-Known Member

WTG is chin down to base of neck, front to back. ATG is from jawline down to base of neck, back to front.

Hembree, Paul Turner and dvdhviid like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good for you. Learning to work with what you have, rather than what you wish you had, is a big step.

Hembree, tjsgarden, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  7. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

Are we still talking shaving here?
    ;)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Hembree, neiasden, Hogie and 2 others like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It applies to many things; shaving among them.

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sarah, you couldn't have said that better myself.

Hembree, PLANofMAN and Sara-s like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy096:

Good man!

tp

Hembree likes this.
  11. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

My neck hairs grow in weird directions depending on which half. The upper half of my neck to hairs grow down and to the right. On the lower half they grow up and to the right. This makes for awkward shaving on the neck, necessitating AtG at least twice.

Hembree likes this.
  12. jayjacque

jayjacque Well-Known Member

All I can say is "That darn Adam's Apple"

13. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Hey Joe in my case I have to shave my neck (wtg) from south to north. Wet shaving has allowed me to shave my neck everyday. With Cartridges I was plagued by irritation so at most I would shave that area once per week.

Paul D

Hembree likes this.
  14. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Over the years I've cut my Adam's Apple a time or three!
    Paul D

Hembree likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I do it(them)that way, too,.

Hembree likes this.
  16. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Well, my neck hairs seem to grow towards my shoulders making a true ATG pass with a SR very difficult. I have just accepted the fact that I am going to have to do an electric or SE open comb razor clean up pass after the SR double pass if I want a BBS shave.

Hembree and Mike LeFebre like this.
  17. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

I just settle for DFS shave on my neck, happy with BBS on my face.

Hembree and SRQShaver like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Adam's apple shouldn't be a problem for shavers. The key to shaving that spot is to do a half swallow. Just start to swallow like you are taking a drink of water, but pause midway through. It may not make it go away entirely, but it will, to quote Fauci, "flatten the curve."

19. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Fortunately, I am one of the few, and the proud that has an imperceptible Adam's Apple.

Hembree likes this.
  20. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

I struggle with my neck, just under the jawline specifically. ATG is a seemingly impossible angle. I think I’m feeling the direction with my finger when checking for stubble but can’t seem to pick it up with the razor. I keep practicing and I’m sure I’ll get it eventually but boy is it frustrating at times.

Hembree, Hogie, Tedolph and 1 other person like this.