Tape on Razor when honing and then moving to the strop - question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rico, Feb 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rico

Rico New Member

Hi All...help, am new at this. Understand the idea of using tape on a razor to protect the spine when honing and polishing on a stone. However, when moving to a strop, one is to take the tape off the razor as I understand. The razor however then would have a slightly different angle without the tape. Would this not affect the accuracy of the polishing on the strop? Any experience or thoughts on this?

Karl G likes this.
  2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I don't think it would make any difference on the strop. The purpose of the strop is to straighten the slight variations or ripples on the edge similar to using a steel on a chef's knife. I doubt very much that you would be able to match the angle of honing during hand stropping.

Karl G likes this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The strop has way more flex than needed to compensate for the minute angle change from using even multiple layers of tape

The only time to even consider leaving tape on is if you have multiple layers and you are stropping on a hard surface like Balsa

Billyfergie, Steve56, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  4. Rico

Rico New Member

Many thanks for the thoughts, and the explanation.
    Very much appreciated!

Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Kapton tape is slick enough to strop with the tape in place. There’s no real reason to do this except if you test the edge after stropping, and say some part of the edge isn’t quite ‘there’, then you don’t have to re-tape the razor.

6. Rico

Rico New Member

Thank you!

Billyfergie likes this.