To our Honemisters on site

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by blugill, Nov 25, 2010.

1. blugill

blugill New Member

http://www.ptreeusa.com/norton_waterstone.htm Norton Waterstones - Peachtree Woodworking Supply
    Do you guys think this # 298 set would be a good set with the exception of buying a 10000 or 12000 for an extra fine finish ? Thanks for any feedback.

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Yes it is, many of us older honemeisters started with exactly that same set...
    Honestly there is not a razor made that can't be sharpened to a smooth comfortable shaving edge on that set...

The lapping stone will need replacing sooner rather than later, but it will do fine for quite awhile..

Don't get too caught up in what to use after the 8k either, you really don't NEED anything, at least learn to get a good shave off it first before you start chasing grit...

That is JMHO and of course to be honest, yes I do use tons of different stones, but I don't have to...

Also it is a touch less money here and these guys support the wet shaving cummunity http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=1216 and yes they are friends of mine ...

3. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

I got that very same set, it has been a pleasure to use. I have been surprised how nice a shave you can get off of that 8k stone. I have a Naniwa 12k I use after test shaving off of the 8k and while it gets a bit better it is not as big a difference as you would think. I could live quite happilyshaving off the 8k.

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I too have a 12K Chinese stone, but for the longest time I went straight from the Norton 8K stone, and with a pasted paddle strop for touch ups, I could just skip the 12K.

5. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I'm happy to report that I received a Norton 4k/8k combos stone as an early Christmas gift from my in-laws (I really have the best in-laws).

I'm wondering, do I need to soak the stone before use? I saw the video that Lynn from SRD did and he just sprayed his with a little water. Were these pre soaked, or is a little spray all you need?

I'm also planning to lap the stone this afternoon. Wish me luck!

6. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Good Luck! For me the Norton 1k is a water hungry pig and does best when soaked. The 4k / 8k isn't near as thirsty (I soak em anyway)

7. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

Thanks Chris! I read somewhere else that 15 min should do. Sound right?

8. Sailinblues

Sounds about right, mine have been soaking for about 18 months or so ;)
    IOW... I just leave em in a big tupperware container with a lid.

9. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

How often do you switch out the water to keep it from getting nasty?

10. Sailinblues

Every time I use a hone, honestly I don't think they're in there for more than a week at a time. No problems with the nasties yet.

11. Utopian

Utopian New Member

In general, and specifically with the Nortons, the more fine the hone is the less time it needs to soak. 15 is about right, but you will know if the stone is not saturated by the rate with which it soaks up water. You need to keep adding water to the hones to keep them wet. The 8k barely absorbs any water and really does not need much soaking. The 4k definitely needs soaking or its performance will suffer. The 1k is so porous, I leave mine about 3/4 submerged while I use it because water just runs through it. I have two Norton 1ks and I can only do about 10 strokes before adding more water.

The hones are not harmed by constant soaking, but some have had their combo hones come unglued that way, so it might be best to let them dry after use.

12. Lynn

Lynn New Member

I soak mine in a pitcher of distilled water for 15-30 minutes before using. I used to leave them in the pitcher for days and never had a problem. The water here is pretty hard and I'm just finicky about that kind of thing. Other water may be fine. I change out the water every two uses of the stone and I'm usually honing about a dozen razor per sitting. Once I take them out of the pitcher to use, I keep them wet with a spray bottle of distilled water. When done, I lap and clean the stone and let it dry before putting it up.

Have fun,

Lynn

13. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

Thanks for the tips Chris and Lynn!