Trumper almond soap review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Leclec13, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Not loving it!
    I recently posted in hot buys, and bought, almond with wood bowl, and coconut with wood bowl
    I realized my first shave had residual soap in brush, which made for decent shave
    Second shave was disappointing. This time clean badger brush.
    For what sells for up to $30 I don’t feel like it performs like a $11.07 that I paid for it.
    Found a few reviews and many say the same thing......
    But as BigD Said, at least I have a nice wood bowl.
    It seemed like it lathered easy. But was thin and had no back bone. It easily dissipated. Not very slick just not a pleasure to shave with. Ended up getting a nick.
    You can not blame my technique I can get great leather from notoriously difficult soaps.

What gives?
    And what’s up with EDTA?
    Anyone like trumpers?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Frijolero, BigD, brit and 1 other person like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I don't blame your technique. The new formulation stinks...sorry.

3. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Ah, a challenge. It will be three weeks before mine arrive, but I will conquer this soap as I have conquered Modern Williams.

Pedigree, Frijolero and brit like this.
  4. Leclec13

Williams is child’s play now.
    Theophile berthon, zartgefuhl prinz charming makes me work ....

I have a feeling I’m going to gift the soap away and keep the $11.07 wooden bowl. Disappointed but not a total loss.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i have a poorly performing soap puck i use for defunking brushes..

Frijolero, ghostlife and Leclec13 like this.
  6. Leclec13

3 weeks?! You must be overseas......

BigD and brit like this.
  7. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Yep.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

8. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Which soap?

Frijolero, Leclec13 and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

a local brand called uncle willies ..nice scent, little performance..has a nice tin..i gave the cade away..

Frijolero and BlueShaver like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I love the shave creams.

The soap bowls look nice on the counter. Smell good too. They are great for people that stage houses. But, as I mentioned in your hot buys thread, you really need to add unscented KmF shave cream to it if you want to use it.

11. BlueShaver

I would love a bowl of Violet soap (if anyone wants a trade pm me!)

But the reviews are consistently awful for the soap and great for the cream. I wonder, are they made by different agencies? Perhaps the cream is a Creighton? I dunno.

If the soap is like T&H (same manufacturer- Soap works?) Then it should smell great, lather great but be a mediocre performer with poor slickness.

12. BlueShaver

I am still contemplating what to do with my Cade.

Leclec13 and brit like this.
  13. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Trumpers products sure smell nice but that's about it

brit likes this.
  14. Leclec13

What’s the deal with the EDTA?
    I ve only read a bit about it on the the net...
    Preservative And improves foaming?
    Well the foaming sucks.... and why preservative? I’ve actually made soap once, even rendered tallow myself, soap is stable so far. My understanding is appropriate saponification and mixing will prevent soap going rancid. What allergy like reactions do some get from it? Any other negatives about it, now that I’m aware of it I’m seeing it in a lot of things.....

KmF. = Kiss My Face shave cream?

My first try with trumpers wasn’t so bad but I had residual soap on brush, uber lather by accident...
    I suppose combining to make Uber later is a way to use it, I have some mild smelling tube croaps/ creams that don’t get much play.
    On second had I have too many good soaps to use before trumpers/ Uber mix

Frijolero, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah. Kiss my Face unscented. Although Kiss my Face Limes works well with Trumper's lime soap... But at that point, you might as well just use KmF and skip the Trumper's soap altogether.

The shave cream was made by Creighton, but was moved back "in house," a few years ago. The quality of the shave cream is consistant and good.

The soap is outsourced. It switched from tallow (good) to a vegan formula (bad), and has been shitty (imo) ever since. I'm surprised they never switched back. It's been about 10 years since they switched formulas.

Trumper's shave creams and skin foods are as good as the soap is bad. I think I'll dig out my Trumper's soap today and give it a whirl... See if it's still as bad as I remember.

Edit: the Trumper's Limes labels have been pink instead of green since WW1, and it just seems such a shame that a soap with a 100+ year heritage would suck so bad.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Frijolero, brit and BlueShaver like this.
  16. BlueShaver

Does this soap lather up too easily for its own good? Is it like Williams in that you need to go heavy and slow to make it work well?
    I read as many comments praising it as not tbh.

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Lol. It depends on how you define "lather."

I used a wet 23mm D01 Shavemac brush (aka the stiffest, most soap destroying badger brush ever made), loaded it for 2 minutes on the puck, which is a good minute and a half longer than I load off any other soap. Face lather, which results in a thick, dry, pastey type lather. Dip the tips of the brush in water, and go back to the face again to try to get something usable. Lather instantly becomes thin and runny... and dry. Two strokes with a Blackland Blackbird razor is enough to let me know that this lather is a slick as a handful of sand from the Sahara.

One pump of KmF shave cream to 'boost' it. Now it only shaves like a mediocre shave soap, instead of shaving like frothy peanut butter.

Post shave feel is bad. At least my cracked, chapped hands and rough feet match my raw, dry face now. Got to love this fall/winter weather.

I decide to finish off the shave with Ralph Lauren Safari aftershave balm, rather than an aftershave splash. It's not a good shave day when I have to reach for the balm. Notice that the bottle is dusty. Haven't used it in a while. Trumper's Lime soap is going back in the box, and into a much better hiding spot, so hopefully I won't be able to find it when the Good Idea Fairy inspires me to hunt it down for another try.

Personally, I think they found a hand soap bar recipe, triple milled it, and tried to pass it off as shave soap. It does smell nice though, for what that's worth.

Edit: Just spent about 20 minutes going though two more latherings, this time, palm lathering to better control the lather feel. When it feels 'right,' (good slickess and density), it dries out about 30 seconds later. Weirdest thing ever.

Soap like this is why Vegan soap had a bad reputation for so long. Early vegan shave soap recipes sucked. For an example of how a modern vegan soap can actually be outstanding, take a look at Saponifico Verisino's soap, which is on it's fourth or fifth major reformulation, each better than the last.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Frijolero and BlueShaver like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

do any of the "three t" brit hard soaps lather well? just curious.and thank you for saving many a few hard earned $..:)..

Frijolero likes this.
  19. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Like any soap, you have to get enough loaded. And like most veggie soaps, you have to work it a little longer.

These are rock-hard soaps. Probably all the more so because they've been sitting around drying out for years since no one buys them. So it will take some work to get enough loaded. I don't soak my soaps. (And I don't use other words when I mean soak.) But if I made an exception, Trumper's would be the one.

Then, even with plenty loaded, it depends on which puck you end up with. I've used two. One was rose. Never once did I manage a lather that was even adequate. I tried everything for a couple of weeks before I gave up and sent it to the shower. And I had a violet that produced a good lather. Not good enough to distinguish itself in any way, but good enough to do the job. Also not good enough to justify the amount of work imo, so I ended up unloading it.

I don't know if the scent had anything to do with the difference. I'm more inclined to think it's just batch-to-batch variation, or made at different times with slightly different formulas.

But for $11 I might get one or two just for the bowl. If there are any left when NB19 is over.

BlueShaver, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The only other "T" soap I've used is Tobbs Jermyn St., and that was a vintage puck. It lathered fine. No clue if it's been reformulated since then. If I spend money on any of the three T's, it's on shaving cream or after shave. Trufitt & Hill is still made by Creighton's, and they know how to make good soap and shaving cream... But they also make it to the customer's specifications, so it could still suck regardless.

The only triple milled soaps I use anymore are MWF, Kent (rebranded MWF), or Saponifico Verisino (which is quad milled). I'm more of a shaving cream than a soap guy, so take my soap reviews with a grain of salt, since soaps are not my forte.

BlueShaver and brit like this.