Tutorial Tutorial Template

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Queen of Blades, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Rather than moving threads from other areas of the forum, the moderator team has decided to utilize a template format for Tutorials.

This template is flexible. You should do your best to utilize the format, but if something doesn't fit, there is no requirement to use that part of the format.

Tutorials submissions can be posted in this thread.
    Submissions will then be moved to the appropriate forum; Tutorials, if approved. Other relevant forum if not approved.

We appreciate the time and effort members may take in helping us fill out the section and sharing their knowledge. Education is The Shave Den's main purpose after all.
    :happy096:

The moderator team will be happy to help answer any questions about the Tutorial process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tutorial Title
    Titles need to be clear, precise, and on topic.
    For Video Tutorials please place “Video;” before the title.

Description
    A short synopsis of what process you’ll be showing us

Tips, Advice, and Warnings
    Always nice to know these beforehand

What You’ll Need
    Equipment, tools, chemicals, cleaners, etc.
    Please include quantities if applicable

Steps
    Try to break down the process into easy to follow steps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Further considerations;
    Tutorials should be limited to one process/method
    example;
    Don't tell us how to disassemble a Fat Boy AND how to replate it in the same tutorial.
    Separate it into 2 tutorials so they are specific of a single process.

It is ok to preface or end a tutorial with a related TSD Tutorial link.
    example 1;
    it's ok to say something like "Previously, we learned How to Remove a Brush Knot. Time to reknot the brush."
    or
    example 2;
    "Next, we'll learn how to reknot a brush in the How to Reknot a Brush tutorial"

Pictures are nice and helpful.
    However too many pictures can be an issue.
    Cropping and resizing pictures is advisable.
    Also, please don’t use thumbnails for attaching pictures. When opened, they don’t show detail as well as full size pictures.
    Pictures should be on TSD also, not hosted elsewhere.

Keeping the original posts on point is preferable.
    Personal stories and such can be added in follow-up posts in your Tutorial thread.

Please quote sources if you are using someone else’s words or pictures.

Tutorials need to contain a full description of whatever methods are being discussed, not links.
    Any information/instructions/pictures not on TSD may disappear.if the site linked to disappears.

awake2shave likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  3. Queen of Blades

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Queen of Blades likes this.
  5. Queen of Blades

PLANofMAN and gssixgun like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  7. jarmandc

jarmandc Member

8. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I would like to share this video as a tutorial. I did not see a video option in the template above.

dangermouse likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    After about 2 1/2 years back into wet shaving, I have learned many things; many from the knowledgeable members of this and a few other forums. One very important part of the shaving equation is lather preparation. This thread is mostly intended for the newcomers, but perhaps there are those seasoned wet shavers that have of late neglected this aspect of lather preparation.

Don't quit on your lather, just because it looks ready!

These days there are many soaps on the market that seem to "explode" with fantastic lather. And just because the lather appears thick and rich, that doesn't mean it's necessarily hydrated sufficiently.

Water is your shave's best friend.

Do some experimenting. See how much water your lather can incorporate. You will be amazed.

More H2O=better slickness.

In my experience it also means a better post shave. Add it slowly; work the lather (bowl or face, it doesn't matter); add some more. Do this until you have added too much; then start again from the beginning and back off the water amount slightly. Take a look at Nathan's lathering videos. See how shiny his lather appears? That's because it is well-hydrated. Now he builds the lather on the puck, which works wonders for him and others. I choose to build it on my face. You may prefer the bowl. Try them all. Make your shaving experience the best it can be and don't be in a hurry. Your face will thank you for it.

Thanks for reading and have a great shave!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  10. DanielLee5

DanielLee5 New Member

Thanks for sharing!

Primotenore and Carbide Mike like this.
  11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Excellent write up, and I 100% agree. This part in particular got my attention.

I learned this early on with creams. They would lather very quickly, and look quite lovely, but there would be almost zero slickness to them. So much so that I stuck mostly to soaps. Until one day something in my head went "click", and I started hydrating creams more.
    Water brings out the very best your lather has to offer. Without it you're not just starving your lather of moisture, but your face and your shave suffer as well. IMHO.

Primotenore and mrchick like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you Mike.

SRNewb likes this.
  13. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

A Quick Tutorial On Making a Shim For Your tech or Other 3 Piece Razor.

Howdy Folks! Today I have for you a tutorial on making a shim for your tech, or other 3 piece razor. Shimming a razor will make the razor more aggressive. This is great for a mild razor that you wish was a wee bit more aggressive.

What we will need.
    1. A new or used DE blade.
    2. A pair of scissors
    The Process

1. Take a used blade (or new). We will be using this to make a Shim to make your safety razor more aggressive. mztQV7X - Imgur.jpg
    2. We are going to cut off the razors edges here at the arrows. Cut straight across all the way. nLW0ySX - Imgur.jpg
    3. Since the steel is so thin, regular scissors will work. Yes regular use of scissors this way will dull them. One time will not. Kb59wKw - Imgur.jpg
    4. Here is the completed product! Just place the Shim after the blade and voila! mqcDDFW - Imgur.jpg

14. Yo Wan

Yo Wan Well-Known Member

Check your stropping with the sticky note test

Most beginners, learning to strop by themselves, use the SR like a butter knife on a slice of bread. Turning the blade on the bevel instead of on the spine. Usually, they are unable to detect this by themselves, and deteriorate soon the sharpness.
    Here an inexpensive method to check your procedure

You need
    - your strop or paddle
    - your straight
    - a sticky note

[​IMG]
    Step 1 Stick a sticky note along the blade, glue strip on the spine
    [​IMG]
    Step 2 Make the first stropping movement and rotate the blade
    If correct, on the spine, nothing happens to the paper
    If rotated on the bevel, the sticky note folds (or detaches)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Brian Watson, Plexus and RyX like this.
  15. yuriahelf

yuriahelf New Member

Thanks for the information.