Vintage Monarch

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by oldtech, Dec 15, 2021.

1. oldtech

oldtech Member

I found this in an antique store, it looks to be well made silver plated weight is 76 grams, unfortunately I cant find any info about it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SRQShaver, brit, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  2. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Now I see where P.A.A. got its inspiration for the D.O.C. razor! Beautiful tool, and I like the knurling! How is the grip on the handle when shaving?

3. oldtech

oldtech Member

The handle has excellent grip but I haven't shaved with it yet.

Michael_W likes this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Michael_W likes this.
  5. Michael_W

Hmm...interesting! Looks like he copied the double open comb design from GSK, but for the D.O.C. and Symmetry at least, copied the knurling from the Monarch here. I'm not complaining in the slightest, mind you. But it's not surprising given how Doug loves to resurrect older designs for new razors.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm sure Douglas would acknowledge whether or not the Monarch was the inspiration. I suppose it's possible , but I always figured it was just an extra shiny version of the older Gillette Bulldog. Too glitzy for my taste, I never use it.

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

feeltheburn, SRQShaver and Michael_W like this.
  7. Michael_W

Ooh, that DOES look nice! Okay, I admit I'm not terrible familiar with all the vintage models produced back in the day. As a result, I'm prone to making erroneous guesses and assumptions. Thanks for the info!