What do you have for firearms?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by BigMike, Jul 19, 2020.

1. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I recently obtained a federal firearms collectors' license and, because I live in California, a state firearms Certificate of Eligibility. Dad was a career infantry Marine Corps officer and taught me to shoot at an early age. But I never had any firearms myself. Now that I'm in my 50s it seems that spending some time at a rifle range would be a good common interest I could share with my brother, who I like very much but rarely see. Although my timing is lousey, I'm buying two rifles, an M1 Garand and an M1 Carbine. I like the idea of an iron sights rifle. The Garand is for serious shooting, while the Carbine is for fun, and to give my wife something to shoot that I think she'll enjoy.
    So... what's in your arsenal, and what kind of shooting do you do?

brit, Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

You would be disappointed in my very small collection. However, I can defend myself and my family if the need arises. I hope that day never comes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have some hunting rifles and .22's. My only range toy is this guy:
    [​IMG]
    A "sporter" semi auto Samopal Vzor 58. I've got a 10 rd. magazine on it in the picture. Standard loadout is a 30 rd. magazine. Got a few of those too. The folding stock version is called the "scythe" by soldiers. "Paddle" is what they call the wooden non-folding stock. I have one of those coming in the mail next week. (Edit: One unique feature is last round hold open, and the ability to reload the firearm via stripper clips).

The Czechs were resistant to the idea of adopting the AK 47, and made their own rifle. It looks like an AK, but is nothing like an AK, except in superficial outward appearance. More info here:

Pistols...I have an Armi Galesi 25 ACP in a box somewhere. I'm going to be picking up a Sig Sauer P365 XL once they get back in stock.

I don't have any shotguns at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    brit, Jim O, Tiredricefarmer and 5 others like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Enjoy. I would try and grab a .22lr as well. .30/06 and .30 Carbine ammo gets expensive quickly.

5. BigMike

Oddly, I just bought some .30 carbine ammo and paid about 40 cents a round. You're right, it's not cheap. But even .22LR is going for about 30 cents a round, which is ridiculous.

Jim O and gorgo2 like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Wow. That's nuts that .22lr is 30 cents a round. I was loading 12ga for $2.50 a box, but I haven't paid attention in a couple years. I know I didn't pay half of that for the 22lr bulk packs I have on hand. I got bored punching paper and shot skeet, 5-stand, sporting, and some trap for just over a decade. All I have left is a Ruger 10/22 takedown and a left handed wingmaster with about 75k rounds through it.

BigMike and gorgo2 like this.
  7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I once has an FFL, and quite the collection of WWII bolt-action rifles, about 20 or so. Sadly, that was many moons ago. Later, having worked in a gunshop, I had a new handgun every week it seemed. Now, all I have is Matilda, "Mattie", as I like to call her...
    [​IMG]
    Astra -75 in 9mm, with an Uncle Mike's holster and spare mag. Very nice piece, considering her age. She sleeps peacefully by my bed, ready if needed.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Two pistols, 9mm and a 22.

BigMike likes this.
  9. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

SKS and a Maverick 88 12ga... cheap get er done tools.

gorgo2 and BigMike like this.
  10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Last year the wife started bugging me about going elk hunting again, before we moved to Idaho I was a pretty serious hunter in Colorado.
    I would head up to the high country for 7-10 days every year and chase Timberline Mulies and Elk in the Maroon Belles Wilderness.

Once we moved here I just haven't had the same experiences, I loved the big open hunting above timberline with long shots being the norm.
    Here in Idaho the Black Timber is the norm with anything over 100 yards being pretty long, since I have always been a shooter more than a hunter I grew bored.

I decided the only way to get motivated again was to, buy and tweak a new rifle :)
    I settled on a 338 caliber since I have always liked them especially for Elk or Moose, the newer 338 Federal would have been a perfect match, but I came across a Winchester Model 70 built in 1985 in 338 Win Mag and a Yard Sale in April at the height of the Lockdown for a great price
    It already had a nice Laminate stock from the factory, and had a muzzle break already fitted and had been bedded..
    I figured what the heck and brought it home

When we left CO and IO was building rifles I had bought a few Scopes from a closing gun shop, they were the better made Tasco and had Mil-Dot reticles. I had one left that was still new in the box 3x9x40 perfect for this rifle

I forced myself to NOT customized this one like I had done so many others this was going to be my "One Hunting Rifle"
    Got it all mounted with the Burris rings and mount I like, lapped the Bore and the Bolt then polished the Bolt
    With everything clean and smooth and the action cycling slick I set down to working up loads

AFTER I built a new 100 yard range hehehe I built it so I could use it year round and shoot from under cover where I keep all my saws and sanders
    I have heat out there in the winter :p

I have been a Barnes Bullet guy since they released the X back in the early 90's my first 338 I had loaded the 185 X and TSX, this time with the possibility of Moose and Bears I settled on the 210 gr TTSX.. I am am looking for one rifle and one load for it

Finally settling in on a nice tight group using RL-17 and pushing right under 3000fps per my chrono, I think I am ready for Hunting 2021

I built a new shooting bench totally from scrap lumber and an old pallet too

Fun Pics:

The Range

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The New Indoor/Outdoor Bench

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rifle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    gorgo2, PLANofMAN, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  11. BigMike

I like everything about this post .
    That's quite a spread you've got there in Idaho. I admit I'm jealous. Post a winter pic when the time comes - seriously.
    Model 70 is what I'd probably look for if I were going for a bolt acton and scope, thought I might do it in .30-06 myself (just personal preference). How do you find the recoil with 210gr at 3000fps? I bet it's a bit heavier on the shoulder than my 168gr at 2800fps!
    Thank you for sharing.

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Not a hunter so no rifles or shotguns here.

My EDC is a Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380 matte silver and engraved slide with G2 Research R.I.P. .380 rounds.
    IMG_20210630_104753~2a.jpg

IMG_20210630_104818~2b.jpg

Bedside holster holds a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9 mm, with G2 Research R.I.P. 9mm rounds.
    IMG_20210630_105841~2a.jpg

The only collectible I have is my great grandfather's 1895 Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works 38 caliber 5-shot black powder ammo top-break revolver which I posted about back in 2012.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When I can get to the Heritage Guild range, in Easton, PA, I rent. Ruger Mark IV. But when I want to practice at home, I use this.

IMG_0295.jpeg

It shoots .22 cal rubber bands.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Added a pretty good Turkish 1911 clone.

BigMike likes this.
  15. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

SAR 9 9mm
    S&W Shield 9mm EDC
    Taurus .38 Spec
    Heritage 6-shooter
    S&W AR-22
    Shotgun
    I have 2 lowers for AR-15s.

BigMike likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What caliber?

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It performed perfectly at the range yesterday.

BigMike and Sara-s like this.
  18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

S&M Airweight 38 Special, Ruger GP100 357, Savage 110G 270 and Stevens 22LR.

Ought to be enough. Occasionally carry the Airweight concealed (have the card) but mainly they all live in a closet now.

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Springfield model 1816, made in 1828, carried by my Great Grandfather in the Civil War. 69 caliber smooth bore muzzle loader.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’ve lost count. I tend to collect guns like they are razors

gorgo2 likes this.