Brush newby here

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Duke42o, Nov 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Duke42o

Duke42o New Member

Im newer to wet shaving and was wondering if anybody could let me know if a real badger brush retains the heat and keeps lather warmer then a synthetic brush? Because in between passes well my brush sits there in the air the lather and brush get really cold and kinda screws me outta a warm shave after the first pass. Kinda irritating any recommendations?

wristwatchb and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Maybe getting a scuttle would help.

brit likes this.
  3. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I agree with @jimjo1031. I lather in a fairly shallow soap bowl and have never noticed any difference in heat retention between my various brushes. They all lose heat fairly quickly.

A scuttle, or even a mug, might help though.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I can answer both questions as yes. Badger will indeed hot more lather (holding it in the brush) and when soaked in hot water will retain heat and give your a warmer (and more luxurious) lather experience. I have both synthetics and badger (like most here) and the hogging and heat retention are the things I notice the most.

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

As these gents have said, you might enjoy using a scuttle. I use a brush scuttle that I purchased from Robert Becker on eBay to keep the lather nice and warm throughout my shave.

If you haven't tried a badger or boar brush yet, you might consider doing so. I can make a better lather with a natural hair brush. The brush shown here, with an Omega boar knot, came from @Jayaruh.

Have fun!
    SOTD_102117.jpg

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Actually, you don't even need hot water to get a great shave. Check out The Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers for refreshing, irritation free shaves. I do cold water shaves all year long now. I only use hot water to clean up my hardware.

brit, RyX, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

:shocked003:

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Boom, baby. @Jayaruh has ice water running through his veins. ;)

Duke42o, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    @Duke42o
    I don't think the badger will "retain" heat significantly better than your synthetic. There are brush scuttles out there that may be what you are looking for. I don't happen to own one, but I can imagine it might be effective.

il_570xN.620048338_fdxq.jpg

Duke42o, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

They're here goes again! Brrrr...

Herm

Duke42o and brit like this.
  12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

For me, badgers hold heat better than synthetics. But I kinda defeat the whole thing by using mentholated soap/sc.

Duke42o and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

also doubles as a teapot..:p

RyX, Duke42o and wristwatchb like this.
  14. wristwatchb

:signs011:

I also have a larger scuttle that would keep my oatmeal warm. :happy102:
    #1 Cactus Sand 2.jpg

RyX, Duke42o and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

for the most part i bowl lather in a double walled stainless steel bowl. it fits nicely into another bowl i have which has room for ample hot water if wanted, keeps the lather and brush warm...

RyX and Duke42o like this.
  16. Duke42o

Duke42o New Member

Hey every one i hope this is the way to get a reply to every one that Answered my ? If not sorry but i wanna thank every one helps out alot im new to this forum stuff so im still tryin to figure how to reply to all peoples and stuff like that im not very computer illiterate so sorry to every one in advance if i do or reply to something im not suppose to or anything like that but any how thank you

brit and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

In this conversation, just jump in anytime! Glad you found us @Duke42o. I may have missed it - what was your question?

EDIT; Oh, I visit so many threads I forgot where I was. This is YOUR thread!

How to Reply to someones comment -
    At the bottom of their post on the right side find a button that says "Quote". If you click it their entire post will be saved. Then you go down to the bottom of the page where you make your next post. See the button on the left that says "Insert Quotes". When you click that one, the other persons post will be dropped into the box. Make sure you are either above or below the (Quote) & (/Quote) that surround their message, click with your mouse & add your comment.

Simple, huh? If you want to play around and try it out there is a Post Testing Area (<- That is a link, click it to go there)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

You are doing fine, Sir! There's lots to learn in the Wet Shaving World. Folks keep adding new stuff every day on top of all the vintage supplies.

It's common for Topic Drift to happen. You asked a question. Folks answered. Then they said something that was on the edge of your question. Next thing you know we are on a completely different subject. Keep in mind you, as the Original Poster (OP) chose what this thread is about. Don't let us distract you from The Question!

19. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

My great-grandfather had a large one of those. He referred to it as a gezunder as it goes under the bed. Except for a cold water tap his house had no indoor plumbing.

wristwatchb likes this.
  20. wristwatchb

You can build a mountain of lather in an old Thunder Mug. Stores out of sight under the bed when not in use. :happy088:

Enrico and RyX like this.