Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

:) I'm pretty willing to expirement. My wife couldn't stop giggling when I got this. I've been instructed to keep it hidden if I don't want my 8 year old to steal it. She'd probably think I bought it for her. Not sure why she would think that.

PSX_20200831_181123.jpg

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Kids are crazy like that. :shocked029:

:happy097:

GAW9576 likes this.
  3. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Very interesting additive to resin. It looks cool.

4. MrEE

I finally got the anodizing results I've been wanting. I might be keeping these.

PSX_20200905_205445.jpg PSX_20200905_205315.jpg

5. brit

brit in a box

GAW9576 and MrEE like this.
  6. GAW9576

brit likes this.
  7. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:signs107:

MrEE, GAW9576 and brit like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

GAW9576, MrEE and brit like this.
  9. Very nice work. Beautiful finishes.

10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

GAW9576, brit and MrEE like this.
  11. MrEE

And we've come full circle. My brush design turned in O1 tool steel and plated in 18ct Gold (on right) next to the aluminum brush (left) anodized in gold.

PSX_20200912_203531.jpg

Now I really can't take my SOTD photos when I'm naked.

9nein9, wristwatchb, brit and 3 others like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Cool, but I like the left one more.

:eatdrink047:

brit, GAW9576, ischiapp and 1 other person like this.
  13. MrEE

You can lift it with one hand so that's good. The steel handle is heavy.

brit, GAW9576 and Enrico like this.
  14. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

+1

@MrEE
    Nice job, Evan.
    :happy096:

brit and GAW9576 like this.
  15. GAW9576

Very cool. I don't think I could choose between the 2.

brit likes this.
  16. You made me curious on the plating. Are you sending these out for polish and plate or do you do that yourself? Plating is a "Dark Art" and requires a lot of skill and knowledge. I remember. Used to be involved in plating 15k -20k parts a month. Nice job, by the way.

MrEE and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

awesome unbreakable brush Evan..:cool:.weapons grade..

18. MrEE

I polish and plate myself. Plating can be quite complex and temperamental just as you say, but there are simple processes and plating kits that cater to jewelers and hobbiests. While I use a lot of sofa ash, lye, battery acid, and various swimming pool chemicals, I stick to commercial electrolytes. A nickel electrolyte will cost you $30 per liter, but as long as you don't contaminate it, it will last a very long time.

This brush spent 10 min in Simple Green, 3 min in hot lye, soda ash, and TSP, 1 min in muriatic acid, 10 min in bright nickel, and a total of 2 min in 18ct gold. I use almost the exact same process for razors but I tend to use sodium bisulphate instead of muriatic acid.

jtspartan, jgreenepa and Enrico like this.
  19. Quite an undertaking. As you and I know there are a lot of ways plating can go sideways if the process is not followed carefully. You apparently know what you're dong as confirmed by the quality of the parts. Would you do any CASS testing on these, or is there not the need. Don't think it will be subjected to a harsh environment, so likely not. Looks pretty good to me.....

jtspartan, Enrico and MrEE like this.
  20. MrEE

No CASS testing here. ;) I have been known to go over my parts with packing tape to make sure the plating won't lift off. I've had a few failures. Thankfully all my batches are small so it's pretty easy to mix fresh chemicals and control the temperatures. I did try storing mixed solutions between batches for a short time, but I quickly decided it wasn't worth it. I use the cleaning and etching chemicals I use because they can all be dumped down the drain. For the record, there are no slow drains in my house.

Enrico and "Knothead" Tim like this.