Floid Amber?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by CliffDweller, Dec 8, 2019.

1. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I am down to my last 1.5 bottles of Floid Blue. I have resigned myself to running out one day and have a couple of cool-blue alternatives.

But I'm curious about Floid Amber. How would you describe it and would you recommend it?

2. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I love it and would say it is one of my favorites. It has a light menthol cooling effect and has a soft leather scent in the background topped with a baby powder scent that is the most predominant scent profile.

CliffDweller likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

CliffDweller likes this.
  4. CliffDweller

Huh, thanks @TheFiveO, that is good to know! Maybe I'll pick up a bottle one of these days. I've only seen them in the 400ml so it's a pretty big commitment to take on spec so I appreciate your review.

And also thanks @stingraysrock. I have a couple of bottles of Spanish Acqua Velva, which is not identical to Floid Blue by any means, but shares some of the characteristics of Blue that I like. But after I use those my intention is to pick up Epsilon. Appreciate the tip my friend.

5. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I've smelled Floid's Amber, Suave, and Vigoroso. Vigoroso is the original that's been around since 1932, and to my nose it's still the best of the three, the masterpiece. But all three do smell almost identical, and I believe they vary mostly in their menthol content. Vigoroso contains the most, and I love the way it makes my skin feel. The stuff is so satisfying, I can understand how it's been around 87 years.

CliffDweller likes this.
  6. Campion

Campion Active Member

Amber was originally made in Italy, though today they're all made in Spain. I agree with Carson that Vig and Amber smell very similar, & that the major difference is that the Vigoroso has a higher menthol content. It is also cheaper and more readily available. Both are classics.

CliffDweller likes this.
  7. CliffDweller

The idea of trying Vigorosa has me intrigued; I am nearing an end to my 3 years of 'no-buy', so this will be on my initial list.

Still an enduring mystery why they stopped making Floid Blue!

8. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I'll bet the reason they stopped making "Blue" is because it wasn't selling. But now that it's unavailable, everybody has to have it, you know. I love RazoRock's "Blue Barbershop." To Hell with Floid Blue. I probably wouldn't like it anyway, ha ha.

Yeah, I tried all three of Floid's aftershaves, and to me Vigoroso gets it perfect.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Tedolph likes this.
  9. Campion

Campion Active Member

To my schnozz the Blue Floid is a more posh or sophisticated Ice Blue Aqua Velva. If they were port wines, Aqua Velva would be a good but standard $18 bottle of tawny port, while the Floid Blue would be the 10 year old version from the same winery.

CliffDweller and Ksblazer like this.