Fun with Shift Knobs & More :)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TestDepth, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Do you know how to do woodburning? Burning in the lines you already made, could really make the image stand out.

2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I may try and give this a shot, and weirdly I think I have a wood burning tool... though I never have used it :). Thank you for this idea!!!

Keithmax and Sara-s like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you haven’t used it before, I suggest practicing on some scrap wood, before you do the shave brush handle.

Keithmax, TestDepth and Bookworm like this.
  4. TestDepth

So I took the @Sara-s suggestion and have been practicing my wood-burning... okay, I am not sure what I was really doing, but I did make smoke! ;)
    I had fun (thank you Sara!) and I did learn that this is a much better way to make my lines than with a dental pick or rotary tool.
    Once I tried it out on the shift knob, I was both burning out the old epoxy and the wood so it looked weird. So late last night I did go back and “surgically” fill the area with a carbon black powder & epoxy.
    BA426A61-1EF5-4B2A-8FD9-E40AE6158169.jpeg
    A winning industrial arts project it is not... but it works for what I need.

5. TestDepth

I also bored out the hole for the knot and removed some metal from the underside so I could place the emblem. Here are some mock up pics:
    277509DE-E433-4CB3-90C3-35D2FF4CDF3C.jpeg
    And the emblem work:
    170DDEED-0BF6-451F-A2EF-737C05A0414C.jpeg
    And
    15A4CC21-B97C-4668-87FD-AF3F7A770531.jpeg
    Still got some work but I think this will come together.
    Tom.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Actually, and I suppose it it sort of a back handed compliment, but I think it looks fantastic in a rustic and worn sort of way. It is pretty basic, but it looks good, and looks like it was done on purpose. Good job!

Keithmax, Jim99 and TestDepth like this.
  7. TestDepth

Thank you. Always fun to try something new. And for the whopping investment of $18, it didn’t raise my wife’s radar :).

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Fantastic! It looks like you really got this project into high gear.
    :p

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  9. TestDepth

Nicely played. :eatdrink047:

Jim99 likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Nice job @TestDepth !

TestDepth likes this.
  11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Thats pretty cool. Ive seen some shaving brushes made with actual shift knobs and theyre pretty cool.

TestDepth likes this.
  12. TestDepth

Again, thank you for the idea!!!!

Sara-s likes this.
  13. TestDepth

So I think I got pretty close to my original idea... a tribute to the mid 70’s Corvette.
    Used a couple of coats of polyurethane and finished with two coats of carnuba wax... because it should smell like a car too :). Added an o-ring for the transition from knot to base - it just feels like it should have one.
    Feels good in hand, though a little heavy towards the base. I look forward to letting it cure for a couple days and then taking it for a spin.
    E711076A-63A9-4E33-998E-5EE231F4DA91.jpeg
    I oriented the emblem to look right when hung upside down. But with the weight imbalance this may turn out to not work. Whoops.
    641943E9-30D5-4551-AB1C-937EC93A812A.jpeg
    Fun build!
    Tom.

Keithmax, Edison Carter, RyX and 5 others like this.
  14. TestDepth

Maiden voyage so had to pull out the Stick Schick and the 1965 Corvette Avon decanter... just couldn’t do it any other way. Good fun!
    9D11EF12-5A4F-44A6-BAA3-AD491FEAF16B.jpeg
    Tom.

Jayaruh, Frijolero, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  15. TestDepth

So I guess the family was lonely...
    C1812126-1B75-45F4-91BF-8880A7BC009E.jpeg
    They “made” me bring a 4th member into the fold. :)
    The Joker popped up on the Bay and I had to pull the trigger. I also had a 24mm Silvertip that needed a home - so it had to be destiny, right???? Nope, my wife didn’t buy it either.
    The cast of characters:
    17F7A78F-1C2E-4E79-8009-18A2E31150CB.jpeg
    Now this one was different in that I didn’t want to put the knot in the top because I really dig the jester hat thingy. But the bottom was going to be pretty tight for a 24mm knot. But why “knot” give it a try :).
    Wow, that was close...
    53CA9F64-1CE4-460E-B1B7-8E448D39789C.jpeg
    I ended up not using the metal ring as it just didn’t look right. So here is the new addition to the Skull shift knob family... I present The Joker.
    86F4F685-14E7-4463-AF00-E3341FF4DD88.jpeg
    Sort of creepy...
    Have fun with your projects!
    Tom.

16. TestDepth

Maybe I’m “graduating” away from shift knobs and bringing out the heavy artillery :).

A friend shot me a care package and a challenge.
    7E95ECDD-FE10-4909-AAB2-7E7EE2091CA1.jpeg
    30mm and 20mm rounds. When cut the openings are a nice-for-shaving 25mm and a little on the ridiculous side 38mm.
    Long story short: cut it, shine it, add some sponge to fill the hole, add an o-ring to hide the messiness, and cram a synthetic 25mm in there with gorilla glue epoxy.
    Viola...
    5CF7BCF9-6C94-415C-BFAF-31B6AF7A9701.jpeg
    I am now sending him back a heavy, unbalanced, but fun brush with some PdP No.63 soap to start him on his wet shaving journey.
    Have fun with your projects.
    Tom

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice work.

TestDepth and brit like this.
  18. TestDepth

Thank you. I appreciate it.

oscar11 likes this.
  19. brit