I believe. Help my unbelief.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by swarden43, Jul 3, 2021.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

@Primotenore answered the call.
    A few weeks ago he sent me a puck of vintage (based on the wrapper, I figure 1976) Williams. I had mentioned I have never tried the old formula.

Many of you know my dislike for the newer Williams; hard to get a good lather consistently, lather that disappears halfway through the shave, and that disgusting skeeter-be-gone scent that others accurately match up with a urinal puck.

I waited to share Promotenor's generosity and my review of the soap until I had used it for several shaves. I also wanted to try it with a badger, a boar, and a synthetic brush. I also managed to use a couple of DEs and a straight razor.

The results were the same for all shaves, regardless of the brush or razor - a nice thick lather that didn’t disappear! I whipped up a lather on this puck the same way I do on all my soaps. No special techniques, no soaking, no extra water, no "do this, do that." I refuse to fight a soap in hopes of maybe getting a lather that might be usable.

Scent - basically unscented. Great if you prefer unscented, great if you have any essential oils around the den. I do, so I'll be adding a few drops next time this comes up in the rotation.

If this formula was still available today at the 99 cents they charge for the new formula, I doubt I would buy it. I prefer scented soaps. That said, if I find a puck or two of the vintage Williams at an antique shop, and the price is right, you betcha I'd buy it. Just something about going old school.

Thanks again, Joseph!! 1625312787551.jpg
    1625312822313.jpg
    1625312851097.jpg
    I don't do "lather" shots because I don't believe a photo can show the true characteristics of the lather. Sure, it looks good in the pic, but on the face it's thin and watery or thick and dry.
    This stuff, though, did whip up a good lather that I am happy with.

2. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Well, it's a good looking puck I will say that!

brit, Hembree and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Don’t forget that Williams also produced a rose soap, last seen as a stick made in South Africa.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Vintage Williams is a great soap. Are there better? Certainly, but our forefathers certainly enjoyed this quality soap.

5. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I've been looking for vintage Williams pucks to no avail. I'll keep looking, though.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Hembree like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

What's next Arko stick?

brit, Tedolph and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No. While it lathers well (I mash it into a bowl), I don't care for the scent.

brit likes this.
  8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

If I remember right Old Williams did have a soapy citrus scent. But my own opinion, the new Williams does not nearly compare with the original.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  9. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Okay, I managed to get one of these, which you can see in my reply to the Williams thread. Lathers like a dream, unlike the modern iteration, which takes forever to whip up, is weak and thin, and begins to dissipate as soon as it is applied to my face. By contrast, the vintage formula generates a fluffy, voluminous lather in seconds and never once dissipated.

brit likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Good on ya @Primotenore for hooking Steve up!

I have a few pucks of it and while it does lather good any scent is long gone and I'm really into smellin' great.

brit likes this.