I feel the BURN

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Claude Stewart, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

The sharper your razor is, the lighter your touch needs to be. I do not recommend starting out with a super sharp razor. Sharp, yes. Super sharp, no.

Tedolph

2. ginger_gin

ginger_gin New Member

Please allow me to hijack your comment, how to distinguish one from another?

- Derek

3. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

I may be able to answer that.

Sharp is the blade gliding through your whiskers with little effort and giving you a close shave. Perhaps you have to do a second pass for a closer shave.

Super sharp you can feel against your skin immediately. It’s so sharp it kind of makes you nervous. If you ever feel super sharp on your face you will understand the difference.

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

To follow up on Claude's excellent comments: to me a super sharp razor is one you can't shave with without getting a weeper. You should be able to regularly and reliably shave without cutting yourself or getting weepers. If you are, your blade is too sharp for your technique.

For me, a fresh single edge Feather SS blade is too sharp for my technique with a SE razor. I always get at least one weeper. Every shave after that is fine until I have to change the blade. With my straight razor I maybe get a weeper once or twice per year.

Tedolph

Edison Carter likes this.