Jayaruh Wooden SE Razor: Last Call

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jun 6, 2018.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I look forward to more shaves with it!

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Jim, you may have to produce a few more of these!

AGHisBBS, PLAla and richgem like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I love following all your adventures with the Woody, but something inside me keeps saying "That is just crazy'". Keep having fun guys!

Herm

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Crazy like a fox tho...

5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You're brave to shave with that thing.

Herm2502, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It shaves really well and the angle is just right.

7. PLAla

SOTD August 2, 2018

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: GEM PTFE
    Razor: Jayaruh 'Woody' SE
    Brush: Restored Rubberset 100-T badger
    Soap: Stirling Grapefruit
    Post: Witch hazel, Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill aftershave

Top notch shave again with the Woody. Second use of it and I'll unequivocally say the Woody shaves better than the 1912 I own. I may like the Woody better than my Featherweight. Great razor. No issues with the shave at all. Smooth and comfortable. Thanks again, Jim!

SOTD 8-2-18.JPG

Drygulch, AGHisBBS and Linuxguile like this.
  8. PLAla

SOTD August 3, 2018

Brush: Omega 10049 boar
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat

Excellent shave once again with the Woody razor. Third consecutive day and no worries or complaints. This razor is smooth. Really smooth. I've had great shaves with it each time. The angle on my neck isn't a problem but I know I'm not quite on the sweet spot when I see the lines from the open comb leave streaks. That's not a problem on my upper face but can be on my neck. Then I just have to make sure it's a little more flat against my skin and all is well.

This is a fine little razor. I've thoroughly enjoyed trying it out.

Probably another shave with it tomorrow and then I'll clean it up and let it dry before sending on the road Monday. @Jayaruh - does it come home to you? Doesn't appear to be anyone else in the pass-around after me.

SOTD 8-3-18.JPG

Drygulch, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am glad you had some good shaves with Woody. I will put out the call to see if there is anyone else out there who would like to give it a try.

Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    If anyone else is interesting in giving the Woody a try, let it be known. So far, it has been a successful tour. Read the rules and sign up.

Maybe a pass around is not a good idea, but anyone who wants to give it a go must realize that I accept no responsibility for your bad judgement and you enter into the pass around at your own risk.

Yes, wood is not easily sterilized, but, as you know, wood surfaces are used to prepare foods, and you can clean them. They even make Clorox wipes for that purpose. My suggestion is that between shaves you should remove the blade, thoroughly rinse the razor in hot water, towel dry it, and then let it air dry. Clean your blade, dry it, and store it separately. I have a partial pack of CVS SE blades included, so each shaver should either use one of those or a new blade of their own.

The Woody is a novelty razor, so I suspect that after three or four shaves the novelty should wear off. After the novelty wears off for the shaver, he should clean the razor using hot water, Dawn, and an old toothbrush. Towel dry it and then let it dry over night before packing it up to send to the next shaver of questionable judgement.

The weakest part of this razor are the "blade stops." If they fail, then the razor will fail. So, care should be exercised to not slice them off.

When you are done, you contact the next guy on the list for mailing instructions.

If you can live with these rules/guidelines and would like to give it a try, then PM me. If you have any doubts, this pass around is not for you.​

Thanks for watching.

[​IMG]

11. PLAla

Let me state that this razor is the real deal! It's not a gimmick or toy. It's certainly more fragile since it's all wood, but is definitely a worthy razor. Give it a try!

Jayaruh, Linuxguile and richgem like this.
  12. richgem

+1

Jayaruh and PLAla like this.
  13. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

CONUS or UK as well?

Jayaruh and PLAla like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I certainly enjoyed my time with this razor and wouldn't hesitate to add one to my collection if Jim made a few more ;).

15. PLAla

Second!

jimjo1031 and Jayaruh like this.
  16. richgem

Third

jimjo1031, Jayaruh and PLAla like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    If no one else signs up for CONUS by Monday, I am in favor of letting you give it a go.

PLAla likes this.
  18. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

:happy093:
    I might be able to compare it to the TaNNhäuSER if the timing is good :D

PLAla likes this.
  19. PLAla

SOTD August 4, 2018

Brush: JR #41 badger
    Soap: Arko

Final shave with the Woody razor. I used it four consecutive days with great success each time. Easy to use, efficient, and enjoyable. The longer handle allows for variation in grip and improves maneuverability. It never felt rough or scary or trepidatious. Terrific results from a neat and nifty razor. Very much enjoyed the experience.

I am going to clean it up with dish soap and hot water and then allow to thoroughly air dry. Will send it on the way on Monday or Tuesday. @riverrun - I plan to send to you unless another CONUS member signs up. I'll be in touch over PM if it comes your way.

Enjoy your weekend!

SOTD 8-4-18.JPG

20. PLAla

The Woody razor will be heading overseas to visit @riverrun in the United Kingdom! It will ship out tomorrow. It was a fun razor to try.

AGHisBBS, riverrun and Linuxguile like this.