Micromatic Open comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Windwalker, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

So last night I broke out one of my open comb Micros, and took it for a spin. Little bit of burn, couple of weepers, not bad for a razor I had never used before. This will take a little practice to master, but this AM feeling pretty smooth. But this evening, pretty scruffy feeling. Anyone else experience this? ;)

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Depends on technique and beard.

Usually I get 18-20 hours without much scruff. Then again it takes 5 days for me to grow anything resembling a beard.

3. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I have been getting exceptional shaves with my open comb Micromatic. This particular model has had some bad press over the years,and to tell the truth it scared me at first.With a good slick lather and correct angle,using absolute minimum pressure,this maligned tool will shave the kahuna's off just about any razor on the planet.Well worth the effort to master. In my top 5 razors of choice for sure.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love me some open comb micromatic. I can get just a good shave from them as anything else. As for the beard growth I get to feeling scruffy in the afternoon no matter what I use,

Fuzzy

5. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Jerry,

The first GEMs I tried were a 1912 and a Micro"Junk"Matic. The 1912 shaved great right from the start. The Micromatic is another story. I did not get good shaves at tall. As far as comfortable shaves, I can get those from a very dull soup can lid and still get the same beard reduction levels.

Since the Micromatic as a PIF from a certain SE guru we all know and love I did like he did and PIF'd the thing so it would no longer take up space on the razor rack for some other shaving implement (a flint straight razor). :)

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Some people just can not use quality equipment. :D

Fuzzy

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Hey... anyone who wants to PIF out SEs... there is still space on my desk... just so ya know. I wouldn't snub my nose at more DE either...:signs136

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Your too late... already pif'ed two. A micromatic and push button Gem.:D

Fuzzy

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I am in no rush... I only shave once a day after all.. OK occasionally twice...

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i used one the other day. a 1929 open comb. actually got an amazing shave.

there. i said. it.

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Wow! Dave giving the Micro love. Never thought I'd hear that.

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

hey, i wont lie :)

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Just takes a little skill huh.

Fuzzy

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

actually it just took a slice of humble pie.

and it was good.

:happy102

15. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Good on ya Dave. They are a great shaver,but shave differently to all other Gem's I think. When I clicked on the correct angle it was a revelation.

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

im 95% sure it was a blade change. last time i used it it was w/ a gem blue star.

17. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I'm using Personna Stainless,Blue Star's and Treet's. I prefer the Personna's.Your hand stropping method seems to be making a noticable difference.Kudo's to you Dave.

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

im glad to hear its working for you :)