NOS Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Straight Arrow, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I've been using various NOS blades including Gillette Super Stainless (The Spoiler), Gillette Platinum Plus, and Wilkinson Sword. These blades are 25-30 years old and they shave wonderfully. In fact I think they are better than many of the currently produced favorites such as Derby and IP. I've yet to try Feather blades or Swedes so I can't compare the NOS blades to them. Does anyone else use these old stock blades routinely and, if so, what is your experience?

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

You know, Rich, I keep meaning to try those "Indian" ;) Wilkinsons that I found at the ethnic market a while back.........

Do these NOS blades last longer for you? Shave closer? Kinder to your skin?

3. Straight Arrow

The old stock blades I've been using are very smooth (no pulling), easily last for seven shaves for me (medium beard), and shave nicely close in two passes. Plus, the nostalgia factor of using old razors is enhanced when they are loaded with old stock blades.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yeah, I can definitely see the nostalgia factor. The difference in quality is something I'll look into and try them out. :D

Do you have a favorite among the bunch?

5. Hi Rich,
    I've tried 5-6 different injector blades and the best for me have been NOS ones from the 70's. They were the SS 'twin injector' (2 blades) style made by Personna. The ebay seller has since sold out of em, but those give me six great shaves per blade. Of course there's other members who didn't like em all that much., and some that loved em like I do. Yep, it's another example of the YMMV effect......heh.
    Anyway, some 30+ year old stainless steel blades work fine for me.
    Martin

6. Straight Arrow

I'd love to get my hands on some old stock injector blades. I get good shaves with the ASR injector blades from CVS. I wonder how much better it would get with some NOS Schick blades. I do have 2 old Schick blades in an unopened Adjustable Injector that I happened upon in an Atlantic City grocery store but I'm not ready to open up that jewel yet.

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Tough call on that one. The adjustable injector was one of my first razors, way back when, loved it!
    I too get pretty good shaves with the CVS blades once I figured out how to jack one into place. :D
    I have had pretty good luck with some of the older Gillette blades, super blue and the "spoiler".

8. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

9. fritz

fritz New Member

I've been tinkering with Schick razors for the last 3 months off and on. I now have a B-1, a C-2, an E-2, a J-1 and an L-1. (See here.)
    I have found the CVS blades to be adequate for two shaves, but the Ted Pella teflon-coated stainless are quite a bit better, and cheaper as well, if you order enough stuff to counteract the stiff minimum shipping. However, the Feather AC Pro blades (cut off to fit) are simply incredible! I've lost track of how many shaves I've gotten from the first one, and it's still in use. Extremely sharp and smooth. If you want the shave of a Feather AC without having to shell out $100++ for it, just buy the blades and put them in your injector....:cool:

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Nice tip. Thanks.

11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Don't like to get my heart set on blades that I can no longer get so, no I restrict myself to blades which are currently being produced.

12. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

IMHO the best shaves I've had so far are NOS Schick and Gillette Super Stainless blades. Have gotten 6 shaves from the Schick blades and 5 from the Gillettes. I think I'll try a Swede as the next blade to use and compare from there.

13. DerBesucher

DerBesucher New Member

I have some UK made NOS Wilkinson Razor Blades. They are very good but the only NOS blades I have. I'm thinking of getting more and storing them for future use. I also enjoy the Israeli No Name, Derby, Merkur, and Dorco brand blades. I seem to get a very good shave from the UK made NOS Wilkinson Blades. More so than the others...

I have found I get a better shave with the Merkur blades in the Merkur razors and not as good of a shave with the Merkur blade in the Gillettes I own...

Maybe it's just me...

I have a "G" bar and just received some Single Edge blades from Ted Pella. I haven't tried them, but hear they are good. I don't know if there are any NOS Single Edge blades around that can be used. Are there?

Thank You...

14. Straight Arrow

I haven't run across any old stock SEs but if I do I will give you a holler so we can both try them out.