Shave of the Week

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by poppi, Jan 27, 2020.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

There are lots and lots of quality products out there that work so very well and sometimes we just don't feel the need to change setup's every day. We don't really need new products every day to make our mugs look/feel good.

I will be using the same set up on a weekly basis from here on out or at least I plan to. Something could always happen to change that but that's not the plan.

This week will be Weber DLC razor - Silver Star or GSB blade - Plisson/L'Occitane brush - Proraso Green SS - Osage Rub/Witch Hazel w/aloe - Proraso Green A/S.

Feel free to join me if you'd like.

2. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I like it. I'll have to do alternating days with two set ups due to work, but if I can bend the rules like that I'll do it next week.

MR41, brit and cliffb599 like this.
  3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea. go for it

MR41, BigD and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

will give it a go..soon..:).great idea..

MR41 and BigD like this.
  5. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I haven't forgotten about you @poppi .
    Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday Shaves;

• @blackland Blackbird (OC and SB)
    • Astra SP
    • Vintage Colgate Mug Shave Soap
    • VDH Bowl
    • Fine Lather Bowl
    • Gentleman Jon's Alum Block
    • Clubman Special Reserve AS/EdC
    • Stirling Soap's Bay Rum ASB
    • Homemade Hair Tonic
    • Every Man Jack Cedarwood Deo
    • Clubman Firm Hold Pomade
    • Clubman Original Body Powder
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monday and Wednesday's Shaves;

• Edwin Jagger 3one6
    • Dorco ST-301
    • Arko Soap in a Bowl
    • Captain's Choice Heavy Copper Lather Bowl
    • Gentleman Jon's Alum Block
    • Arko Gold AS/EdC
    • Arko Comfort ASB
    • Arko Comfort ASC
    • Million Dollar Hair Tonic
    • Dax Short and Neat Pomade
    • DSC Deodorant
    • Gold Bond Body Powder
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ijustmissedthe50s, ram57 and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

fine shaves and pics Mr.D..

MR41 and BigD like this.
  7. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Thank you, sir. I keep trying.

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

you are doing well sir..:)

BigD likes this.
  9. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I was remiss in not posting a following week SotW so here it is:

Star 3 piece razor
    GSB or Astra SP blade
    JR #85 brush
    Taconic Eucalyptus Mint SC
    Osage Rub/Witch Hazel w/aloe
    Taconic Eucalyptus Mint A/S

Once again spending the week with the same products every day worked out well for me. Got to know each item better and my face was happy all week. Can't ask for more than that.

My next week SotW will be:

Gillette Slim Adjustable razor
    Astra SP or Silver Star blade
    Viking "Citron" Shave Soap
    Shave Revolution Synthetic brush
    Osage Rub/Witch Hazel w/aloe/Viking "Citron" balm
    M&L Florida Water cologne

Looking forward to this. Join me it you'd like

10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Last week's exercise worked well and my face enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm finding that by using the same set up, my face gets accustomed to the products used and as the week progresses, the shaves become easier and better. Let's see if that continues.

This week will be: Rotbart #15 razor - GSB/Silver Star blade - Vie Long Silver Tip brush - CRSW "Schapenmelk" Shave Soap - Osage Rub/Witch Hazel w/aloe - Assorted A/S

More next week, stay tuned

MR41, BigD and brit like this.
  11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Last week's efforts were admirable and enjoyable. The Schapenmelk SS is a true gem for me, gives such wonderful lather that gives an easy shave and great face care. I really like it. Now on to the next adventure.

Shave of the Week!!

Fine "Marvel" razor
    Astra SP/GSB blade
    Whipped Dog Synthetic brush
    Crescent City Shaveworks "Frankinice" SS
    Assorted A/S

This will be the set up for this week. I like all the parts and they like my face so it should work out great. I know this morning's shave was super. BTW, the Frankinice SS has a pleasant earthy scent and a ton of menthol. I like it. Now go enjoy your day folks.

12. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

SOTD:

I've had some fantastic shaves over the last week, including what has to be my best shave to date, using my favourite soap Arko. The Arko shave stick pictured in the below photos is now a whole year old, absolutely remarkable longevity, especially considering i use it about twice a week every week.

All my shaves this week either featured Arko or bundubeard coffee, which is quickly becoming my go to soap. I can easily see myself sticking with these locally made soaps in future because they're just that fantastic. Ive never used a slicker glycerine based soap , it's on par with the slickness of most tallow soaps i use, and even surpasses the majority of them.

The next week's shaves will heavily feature Credance and bundubeard soaps.

Shave 1:
    Razor: Wilkinson sword TTO.
    Blade: feather hi-stainless (4/5)
    Soap: bundubeard coffee
    Brush: Wilkinson sword classic shave brush
    Aftershave: brut by Fabergé

Shave 2:
    Razor: Wilkinson sword TTO
    Blade: feather hi-stainless (6)
    Soap: arko shave stick
    Brush: Omega 49
    Aftershave: brut by Fabergé

Shave 3:
    Razor: Wilkinson sword TTO
    Blade: feather hi-stainless (7)
    Soap: Arko shave stick
    Brush: Omega 49
    Aftershave: old spice whitewater[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

BigD, brit and MR41 like this.
  13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Nice! Looks like great stuff to give a great shave. Enjoy

brit and matthewoli98 like this.
  14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week!!

Gillette English Tech
    GSB or Silver Star blade
    Plisson/L'Occitane brush
    VeraSoapCo SS
    Assorted A/S

The English Tech is a really nice smooth shaver and my face likes it. The Plisson/L'Occitane brush is on of my favorites, for me they got it right. The VeraSoapCo SS is from a local vendor and is made with 3 different types of aloe vera and it does a wonderful job. Great lather, great skin care and smell pretty nice too. All in all, this is a fine collection for the week and look forward to wonderful shaves. Now go enjoy your day folks.

BigD, brit and MR41 like this.
  15. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating doing this for some time now. So...here's my set up for this week (08 March - 14 March 2020)

Cream: ARKO Cool
    Brush: Semogue 620
    Bowl: Dollar Tree salsa
    Razor: RazoRock German 37 slant
    Blade: Gillette Nacet ( I get 7 great shaves out of all the blades in my rotation)
    Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

030820~1.JPG

BigD and brit like this.
  16. McGrande

Well I have to agree! Day three in the books with post #15's set up and I'm getting great results. Really notice a difference in post shave feel. Seems to last well into the afternoon.

Great suggestion!

brit likes this.
  17. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

You guys are doing great.

McGrande likes this.
  18. McGrande

Thanks BigD!

Day 5 in the books as of this morning. Disclaimer: Yesterday I had a haircut at my regular old time barber shop. Been going there for close to 30 years. Anyway, as he always uses generous amounts of Pinaud Clubman talc post-shave, I switched from the AV to Clubman AS so I wouldn't suffer from the dreaded "scent clash"!

Now the only drawback I can discern from the weekly shave with the same kit, is a slight to sometimes overpowering urge to switch to another favorite soap or cream or aftershave even though for me personally, I'm getting terrific results.

What I may do as I usually rotate between 2 razors and get 7 quality shaves from my blade stash, is line up a Sunday shave set and if it is superior in every way, stick with it through Saturday of that week. If not stellar, then go rogue and random.

BigD likes this.
  19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Sorry I haven't been here but it's been a horrible week. Took my wife to MD Anderson for her check up and got really bad news. Her cancer has spread and not responding to current treatment. The Dr said we have one more shot with medication and that's it. I'm all over the place on how I feel and none of it good. Time will tell of course but doesn't look good at this point. How do you lose the one you love after all these (53) years?

20. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear. I could never imagine what you are going through right now. God be with you.