Silly Trends

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You know wjhat? When the first kid stops that trend, so will the others.

brit and richgem like this.
  2. Paul Turner

This will sound boring coming from me, but I just can't let these go by

1. Beginning each sentence spoken with "So..."
    2. Ending each spoken"mini"- thought on a high-pitched tone, except for the final word of the overall thought.

brit and Keithmax like this.
  3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

The problem is that most people can't distinguish between 'fighting' and 'bullying'. For example, when two groups decide to get into a huge fight together, that's voluntary. (happened occasionally between the blacks and rednecks in my high school. Weirdly enough, they didn't spread the rage around. it was targeted. Band geeks, for example, didn't have any trouble with those two groups. ) Allowing kids to -abuse- other kids because, for real example, they play football, is stupid, and doesn't teach anyone anything other than "I can get away with anything." That leads to things like Columbine - I put the responsibility for that squarely on the Principal and his defense of the abuse of "They need to learn how the real world works."

The principal at my schools came down on people fighting, but 'Zero Tolerance' wouldn't have come to his mind at all. (He also could wield a mean paddle. I had him for elementary, jr. high, and high school. He moved from one to the other one year before I did, then my senior year moved to district administration).

Settling things between two willing people - sure. I don't even care if they want to do dueling with pistols at dawn. As long as it's two people doing it willingly, and they don't endanger bystanders, go for it.

4. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I really don't call geocaching a silly trend. It is basically land navigation with a GPS. Don't also recall people doing it at all hours of the night. Guess it depends where you live.

brit likes this.
  5. Bookworm

So, tell me how you really feel.

CarlfromMO likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You're just jealous because "Penguins Don't Have Nipples".

brit, Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Upscale Suburbs. Nuff Said.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:rofl:

brit, DaltonGang and Enrico like this.
  9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

The problem is that now a kid won't take his lumps and learn from it. He's more likely to grab a gun instead.

brit and Redfisher like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My two boys can count on one hand, how many times they had their mouths washed out with soap. First offense was a bar of dove was rubbed on their tongue; The repeat offense had the same soap rubbed into their teeth. They sat for a few (five at most) minutes to reflect on their offense and then allowed to brush their teeth and rinse. This was punishment for foul language, lying or rude speech. My oldest received it twice, the youngest 4 or 5 times (slow learner).

brit, Keithmax, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Pet Rock. Mood rings. Hula-hoops.

brit, DaltonGang and Tdmsu like this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Sweaters with huge brand logos (very popular in the early eighties) ... free advertising, and the customer even paying a high price for them, as they were pretty expensive!

And wearing polo shirts with the collar up, another late seventies, early eighties, fashion mystery ...

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Boys are being brainwashed into having ovaries?!? :shocked003:

Girls fight, and girls are brainwashed into being "girls", too.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I wasn't addressing what our society tells little girls, and happen to have issues with most of that too. Pretending that the development of both males and females should follow a similar trajectory with similar behavioral norms is, in this man's humble opinion, is a shiny happy fantasy at best. My particular comment was related to bullying and boys. The problem with today's "bullying zero tolerance" is that many bullies are still bullies when they become adults, except now we teach men to be passive, which allows adult bullies free reign.

Your turn.

15. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Exhaust systems on 4-cylinder cars that make it sound like one long, loud, beer belch.

Ursa, brit, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  16. Paul Turner

What you read is what you get.

brit likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

Country Line Dancing.
    Thanks Billy Ray Cyrus, for that, and the Mullet.

brit and Enrico like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Males with their ties flipped over their shoulder.

brit likes this.
  19. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Guys who wear baseball caps backwards. The sole purpose of a baseball cap is to keep the sun out of your eyes. And while we're at it, the new style of caps with completely flat brims annoys me too, as does the practice of leaving the stickers on the brim after purchase.

Killerflyingbugs, brit and Enrico like this.
  20. Bookworm

The cap I wear has a flat brim - it's a newsboy type hat. Sometimes called a 'Flat cap'. It's not new, being over a century old.

brit, Enrico and RyX like this.