Source for Badger Hair

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by blaireau, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

This post makes absolutely no sense. What are you trying to say?

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

haha That is what I was wondering.

3. A case of mindarrhea is probably healthy every once in a while...

I really, really, really want to see video of someone shearing a badger.

4. Sirshavesalot

Sirshavesalot New Member

If I have to explain the sarcasm its way lost but meh here goes....

1. Oriental is and adjective, and it shouldn't be used as a descriptor of Asian people, hence the comment about being an Archie Bunker.

2. Eurasian badgers being sheared illegally, and badgers from China being eaten for food, all of these things made me think that the world of sheering badgers is in chaos.

3. "dogs and cats living together mass hysteria" Actually, a great line by Bill Murray illustrating when things go off the rails.

hope this helps lol

Oh trust me I want to see badgers being sheered too... that's a beer worthy event!
    cheers
    D

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

How about pay per view! A reality show, "are you tough enough to shear a Badger" with ex wrestlers, imagine Hulk Hogan losing an arm! :D

6. Julius Ceasure

Julius Ceasure New Member

I have heard that most European badgers are protected. I don't know if this is true or not. I have had contact with a fur importer who told me that 95% of all badger hair used in brushes comes from central China.

I couldn't post this in the appropriate place because I have to post 25 posts before it would let me. If someone could move this to the proper place for me I would appreciate it. I figure 25 blank posts would make people mad - it would me - so:

7. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Two Cages, Two Men, Two Badgers, Two Clippers, Two Brush Handles, and Two Bottles of Glue. First man out with a shaving brush wins.

8. Sirshavesalot

Sirshavesalot New Member

Mark, I almost fell off my chair,
    I think I'm gonna make that my signature..

"Two Cages, Two Men, Two Badgers, Two Clippers, Two Brush Handles, and Two Bottles of Glue. First man out with a shaving brush wins.":happy102

cheers
    D

9. blaireau

blaireau New Member

Sirshavesalot, shearing badgers illegally, this is your supposition. As far as I'm concerned, whatever is going on is being done legally.

10. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Badger hair in shaving brushes comes from protected Eurasian badgers

The title of your link and the abstract do not back up that supposition regarding European Badgers.

11. blaireau

blaireau New Member

If you read the article, it says that Eurasian badger hair of European origin was found in 4 brushes. Hog badger hair of European origin was found in another set of four brushes. This is perfectly legal.

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

?? :confused:

"One of the shaving brushes made of Eurasian badger was produced in France, where it is legal to capture or trade the species under certain conditions. The remaining three brushes originated from The Netherlands, where it is illegal to possess, sell, transport or use for commercial purposes dead Eurasian badgers or products derived from them."

Sounds illegal to me. To be completely honest I don't have access to the entire article and was going off of the abstract.

13. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

this same subject has appeared on 3 other shaving boards with much of the same info......interesting

14. blaireau

blaireau New Member

MTgrayling, here is the abstract. Please read it in its entirety:

Badger hair in shaving brushes comes from protected Eurasian badgers (2006)
    Domingo-Roura, X., Marmi, J., Ferrando, A., López-Giráldez, F., Macdonald, D.W., Jansman, H.A.H.

Abstract
    The Eurasian badger (Meles meles) is included in Appendix III of the Bern Convention and protected by national laws in many European countries. Badger hair is used to manufacture luxury shaving brushes, although it is frequently argued that the hog badger (Arctonyx collaris), which in Europe is an introduced and unprotected species, is the origin of the hair used. We applied an extraction protocol to recover DNA from the unrooted hair of shaving brushes obtained from commercial companies in The Netherlands and Spain. The tested brushes originated from The Netherlands, Spain, France, Italy and the United Kingdom where the Eurasian badger is a protected species. We sequenced 191 bp of the mitochondrial DNA control region and 170 bp of the cytochrome b gene and compared the sequences obtained with Eurasian badger and hog badger reference sequences of the same mitochondrial DNA regions obtained in our laboratory and from GenBank. Sequences obtained from four shaving brushes were clearly hog badger sequences, whereas four sequences clustered with Eurasian badger sequences of both European and Asian origins. One of the shaving brushes made of Eurasian badger was produced in France, where it is legal to capture or trade the species under certain conditions. The remaining three brushes originated from The Netherlands, where it is illegal to possess, sell, transport or use for commercial purposes dead Eurasian badgers or products derived from them.

15. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Four of eight brushes had Eurasian Badger genes. It does appear the the range of the Eurasian Badger is extensive and the hair could have come from outside of the protected area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Badger

"The remaining three brushes originated from The Netherlands, where it is illegal to possess, sell, transport or use for commercial purposes dead Eurasian badgers or products derived from them."

So as this reads even if the hair was from China and the brushes originated in the Netherlands they would still be illegal. I am not a lawyer for wildlife however.

16. blaireau

blaireau New Member

And I'm not a judge so I don't like to use words like illegal. I am focusing on the four hog badger brushes which appear to be ok in most places.

17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

OK I'll be more careful with the terms of legality.

Here are some interesting links I found whilst researching these critters and their wonderful hair.

http://www.emsplace.com/bristle_types_and_bloom.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger

http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpages/badgers.html

There is no doubt in my mind that the American Badger is by far the most handsome of the Badgers. Sure they are mean SOB's that would tear your face off in a heartbeat, but very classy looking in their fur tuxedos.

18. blaireau

blaireau New Member

MT, thanks for the links, most interesting! It's about time that something American is more hanbsome that it's brethern in other parts of the world!!!:happy102

19. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

:happy102

Well we do also have some of the best plastic surgeons around. Ever been to California? :D

20. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I hear the African Honey Badger like to go downstairs and strike for the Family Jewels.