Stahly Live Blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Is one of these worth $18.50? I saw one today at an antique store that was in very good condition, but I guess my RAD is not as severe as I thought since I set it down, and slowly walked away. What's the story on these razors?

BTW, it did wind and vibrate properly.

2. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Did it have the case? Was it the nickel plated, gold plated or chrome and black version? And yes, $18.50 will give you a great razor that competed with Gillette from the late 40's through the early 60's. With a case that would great. Mine had an upright clear plastic display case. I really miss that sucker. It was the gold plate. The only one I have ever seen. The same with the case.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I've seen a few in antique stores. Over-priced for the most part.

Auctioned off one for TSD over a year ago.

I'd pick it up for $18.50.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Milton

Milton New Member

It cost more than that when it was originally sold. Buy it, its a great razor IMO.

[​IMG]

clancopolis likes this.
  5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

It is in a black case and is nickel plated. Well, seeing how the general consensus agrees, I will go pick this up after work today.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Awesome! :D I would do the same.

7. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I really like the Stahly. @ 18.50 it's definitely worth it!

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Nice, grab it and post some pictures! Stahly's are very cool machines.

clancopolis likes this.
  9. Larry T

Larry T Member

Stahly

I have two of them that work, and one that doesn't. I bid on two different ebay auctions, and won them both. I paid $20 shipped for one, the other was under $15 shipped. These are COOL razors, :cool: and excellent shavers. The first time I shaved with mine, I had to stop to make sure it had a blade in it! If it works ok, snatch it up, you won't be sorry.

[​IMG]

I have photocopies of two of the original instruction sheets/booklets, if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

Larry

10. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

This was my Stahly:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN and alpla444 like this.
  11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Stahly Acquired!

Well, here it is. This is pretty cool, and it makes me wonder why I didn't just buy it in the first place. There are a few spots of brassing, but nothing really major, and the hinges on the case are broken off -- but that should be pretty easy to fix. All-in-all, it is in very good shape, and the dealer accepted my offer of $15 -- so a pretty good deal for a pretty good addition to my collection! :D

BTW, that's a beauty, Guido!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Wow, now that's gorgeous. Great find!

13. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Makes me happy everytime I see one... They look good, and shave even better :D

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I just used it, and it is definitely different! I'm used to hearing the sound of the whiskers being cut, but other than the hum of the vibrating mechanism, there is no sound. The sides of my face shaved up really good, but I had some problems in the neck area -- no biggie, just need some practice with it. Definitely happy I went back to get this! :happy005

15. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Exactly! You don't chop the whiskers (what you hear), you slice them. Very cool tool.

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i dont know if i could use something like this; id be tempted to start swirling it around like a 3 headed electric or something.

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Now there's an idea! Could this razor be combined with the "Gillette Slide" technique? :signs002

18. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

That was a good deal you got. Here are my two working ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Nice looking whisker whackers there, Scotty! ;)

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Bumping

Found one today in great shape and got it, mainly for the good I've heard on the head. The handle is locked up tight, and I don't even see where the lower knob attaches...no gap is visible but it has to be there. Any advice welcome.