Supermax blue diamond review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by matthewoli98, Nov 27, 2019.

1. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

After using the supermax blue diamonds for 7 shaves, i think I'm ready to write a decent review on how they perform.

The supermax blue diamonds are a fantastic value for money blade made in India, very comparable to the Russian made 7 o clock sharp edges, they have about the same sharpness, slightly less smooth on the first and second shave, but after that they're buttery smooth.

I deliberately use less slick soaps as well as super slick soaps when reviewing a blade, because this gives me a good indication of their best possible performance, as well as the worst possible performance of the blade.

For the slick soap i used my standard arko, and the less slick soap proraso Sapone.

I must say, there was absolutely 0 tugging in either of the 7 shaves ive used this blade for, and the numbering on each side made it very easy to flip the blade after each use, (after washing and drying).

Without further ado, lets get to the overall results.

Sharpness: 6/10, not too sharp but not overly sharp, a fantastic mid range blade in terms of sharpness

Smoothness: 7/10, not super smooth on shave number 1, but smoothness increases dramatically after the first shave.

Longevity: 8/10 (so far). So far this blade could be a good pairing for my Excalibur challenge shaves. My previous blade i got the most uses out of was the 7 o clock sharp edges, but this is a good contender to replace those.

Price: 10/10, some of the cheapest blades available on ebay, and hands down the cheapest foreign made blades available here in South Africa.

Overall thoughts: so far these blades have proven to be better (for me), than blades 3 times their price. Ill definitely get a 100 pack of these when my blade stocks deminish slightly, and they will probably replace gillette blades for me. (Not a fan of P&G or their controversial gillette advert, and how they mark up their products so steeply)[​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Great review. I might have to try a tuck.

kjbarth and matthewoli98 like this.
  3. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

You're reminding me of my shave this morning with an Indian made Gillette--first use. The shave was as good as it gets.

kjbarth and matthewoli98 like this.
  4. mark771119

mark771119 New Member

Tried these blades for the first time today.
    Really love it. Paired with my Merkur 34C. It has more than enough sharpness for my tough beard and it's so smooth that you really don't even feel the blade. Absolutely no irritation. No feedback from the alum block as well.
    It costs only USD4.50 for 100 blades here in Malaysia. I'll definitely get 100 tomorrow. I can tell this blade will work well with all my razors. [​IMG]

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  5. CzechCzar

CzechCzar New Member

How to these compare to the super max super platinum?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

6. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Im not sure, but I'm sure theyre quite similar

7. mark771119

mark771119 New Member

I've tried the Platinum version. To me, they just don't work. I've tried all different SuperMax varieties. They're all similar. But the Blue Diamond is totally different. They're very sharp and incredibly smooth. Holds it's edge pretty well too. Really good blade IMO.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  8. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Huh?
    :)

9. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I take it that these are different than the Diamond Edge? I've looked though the varieties of Super-Max blades, and so many of the names are similar. Diamond Edge is supposed to be the sharpest Super-Max blade.

I have also heard that there are 2 versions of the Super-Max Blue Diamond -- an old and a new version. The new version is *supposedly* bad. The one pictured on the first post here is the old *good* version, as far as I can determine. I see people as far as 6 years ago saying that the old version was discontinued, but I still see vendors like razorbladesclub still selling it with a pic exactly like the one shown here. Perhaps what I've read is strictly "internet balderdash."

BTW, it seems like there is a fiendish plot by blade manufacturers to confuse us! So many Gillette 7 o'clocks, and even though people reference them by color, there are 2 different 7 o'clock greens -- one made in India and one made in Russia. The one made in India is a Permasharp, not to be confused with the (non-7 o'clock) Gillette Perma-sharp (note the hyphen) made in Russia. And of course there is Personna...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  10. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I got a few things from India yesterday.
    Including, these three blades. Of which (for me) the novelty is Diamond Edge.
    I immediately put them to work today.
    Here in detail.
    [​IMG]

Excellent result.
    After almost ten hours, still pretty much BBS.
    Although, to my taste, they’re too clingy.
    So the three past canons left a slight discomfort.
    Not immediately, and not worth mentioning. But as the day goes on I feel it.
    Nothing a good consumable doesn’t keep under control.
    In fact today even the soap is new and no pre / post treatment.
    Just to see what’s new.

In summary, the best of the group: a better diamond.

brit likes this.
  11. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box