Thaters Knots

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Vlasta, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Any opinions?

Redrock likes this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I only have 2 of Thaters brushes and I found the knots to be outstanding. I usually bowl lather.

3. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I love them. 3 band is incredibly soft, but not enough backbone for my liking - much like a synthetic. Two band is soft, scrubby and dense - possibly my all time favorite knot.

Keithmax, Bobcat, Boojum1 and 3 others like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I think Randy is bang right on here. I love there 2 band.

TommyCarioca, Vlasta and Redrock like this.
  5. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have one that came in a TSN LE and it is wonderful.

Vlasta and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

The knots are good, I have a 2 band. Neither of the brushes I bought weren't close to the specs listed. I gifted one to a friend and relofted the 2 band in another handle, great brush now.

Bobcat, Redrock and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    You mean the handles are not good or the setting Of the knot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redrock and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. oscar11

The handles are o.k. the loft was taller than the specs stated. One or two mm can be understood but 5-7 mm will change the ball game. I've only bought two Thaters, both were over spec by 5-7mm. Hardly definitive but my experience.

Bobcat, Redrock and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Wow they are pricey!

Douglas Carey and Redrock like this.
  10. BaylorGator

The BST and patience are your friends!

Douglas Carey and Redrock like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have owned one. Soft, two band beehive brush. Not quite as plush as a DG, or a Rooney or Simpson, but still nice. Sold it. Don't miss it.
    You don't specify badger or boar. I owned a Thäter Premium boar and it was the worst boar brush I have EVER owned. Scratchy like I have never felt and refused to break-in. Re-knotted it with a Declaration Grooming B5. Now I am happy.

Keithmax, Frijolero and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Timing is everything. A bunch just went pretty cheap during the selloff of straightrazordesigns. The Simpsons went quick. The Thäters didn't go as fast, so there were some left as the discounts went up. I paid $109.50 shipped for this one:

4292_3_2_Band_Fan_horn.jpg

Keithmax and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Ah, and to your original question. I still haven't found a badger that would lure me away from boars altogether. This one comes closer than any other that I've tried. (I have not tried a Simpson yet.) In fairness to it, I don't know how much breaking in a two band needs, but this one probably isn't there yet.

Keithmax and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. oscar11

Honestly, the only two factory brushes I've run across that I thought were perfect are Rooney and an M&F. I owned neither, a member here sent me his two brushes to try. I've been through about a half dozen Simpsons and found three keepers, one I sold and wish I didn't. I've owned every knot that Shavemac makes (hair type) but I made the brushes for them of which I think I have 5 or 6 now. I have a couple of factory boars that are great brushes but to be honest the big Omega boar still makes my favorite brush. I've got 3 or four good configurations for this knot and it's what I use most of the time. I almost have to force myself to use anything else. Anyway, I'm done experimenting with brushes.
    edit: I do like Shavemac knots, I haven't been the least bit disappointed in anyway. Also been very pleased with some TGN knots and knots from a few other vendors. I have enough badgers, boars and a few synthetics to last a long, long time. Might even outlast my soaps.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  15. oscar11

Here's my Thater knot (with homemade handle).
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, Redrock, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture and setup Steve. Does this brush lack backbone?

17. oscar11

No not really, if anything maybe density could be better but that's being picky on my part. It's a pretty fair brush, IMO, but loft is pretty critical and it seems that most companies make their brushes on the long side. I wouldn't say for sure but I might have just reset it at spec'd loft which they missed by 4 or 5mm, IIRC. I'm not in the market for any new brushes but when I buy a brush I look at it like I'm buying the knot. I think the last brush I bought (serious purchase) was a Simpsons Manchurian and I bought it with the attitude that if the brush doesn't work out at least I'll have the knot. It's an alright brush, if it would be 2 or 3 mm shorter it'd be a great brush but I'll settle for good for the time being.

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am with you Randi, the two band is possibly my favorite not to but I also think the three bands are awesome. I never tried their boar brush. The handles are just ok.

oscar11, Frijolero and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. BaylorGator

I agree Keith. I still keep a Thater 3 band in the den for variety. It’s by far the softest most pillowy knot I own, and the backbone isn’t bad; it just doesn’t hit the sweet spot of my preferences like the 2 band.

oscar11 and Frijolero like this.
  20. oscar11

The 3 band fan I gifted to a co-worker was a very nice knot. My favorite badgers are 3 band.